Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 08:02 AM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times

Advertisements

I think people forget the one building that makes Houston what it really is and gives it a uniqueness. You may think it's boring, but I think One Shell Plaza still has a unique air to it. It has a great shape to it and still has the antenna on top. That's the thing that's most eye-catching of all. For a long time, it's been my favorite of all skyscrapers. So what if it's mostly concrete? It is pure genius. It's Houston's answer to Dallas' old Republic Bank building (the gray one with the rocket on top). By comparison, One Shell Plaza is still visible from a number of locations whereas in Dallas, the once-dominant Republic Bank is mostly obscured.

Also, I'd like to see Houston with more lights on all of their buildings at night, and especially on One Shell Plaza. Dallas is good, but I believe Houston is actually better and more defined.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:33 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
My fave is and will always be Pennzoil Place! To me, it defines Houston.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:35 AM

10 posts, read 59,082 times
I won't say which is better. It's too subjective.

But one of my favorite buildings is the Magnolia Building in Downtown Dallas. Wonderful history there.
Magnolia Building

Also, here is a new tower going up in downtown.
Museum Tower

Old 08-28-2007, 09:45 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Also, I'd like to see Houston with more lights on all of their buildings at night, and especially on One Shell Plaza.
Chicago and New York don't bother to light up their buildings at night the way Dallas does.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:15 PM

4 posts, read 21,336 times
Default Houston dallas

I lived in Houston for 40 years now live in Dallas. I think Dallas has better skyline. But I also think Dallas is another Houston just a big old city tha has to many people

Old 08-29-2007, 07:35 PM

42 posts, read 164,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
But getting back on track... I really like Dallas' skyline. There are fewer buildings, but I think they have a higher quality. I'd like to see more density though.
I agree completely! I prefer Dallas' skyline over Houston's. It is more interesting and has a larger variety of shapes, sizes, and colors.

As for Houston having more skyscrapers than Dallas, and existing ones being taller...that's obviously going to happen. Houston is bigger than Dallas is. It's going to have a larger skyline. But I find Houston's skyline much more dull than Dallas'.

I also agree totally that Dallas' skyline needs more density. It is beautiful, but some more skyscrapers wouldn't hurt. And I mean tall skyscraper, not flimsy 30-story ones being built. We need a few more buildings taller than the Bank of America Plaza, the tallest building in Dallas and third-tallest in Texas at 921 feet. Many know it simply as "The Green Building."

Twin towers were proposed for both the Bank of America Plaza and Fountain Place (the arrow-shaped blue building), but when the Dallas economy crashed in the late 1980's, plans were scrapped. The Bank of America Plaza's tower was to be outlined in purple, making Dallas' skyline be dominated by two colors: green and purple.

Anyway, back to the point. Dallas' downtown needs a major revitalization. The run-down, small buildings need to be torn down, and more supertall skyscrapers -- over 1,000 feet, at least -- need to be built. Dallas is an amazing city that has suffered through many hard times, and this could be reflected in its skyline. I also wish more colored outlines would be added at night.

My favorite picture of the Dallas skyline is at night, reflected in the shimmering Trinity River:

Old 08-30-2007, 03:38 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
Dallas, you gotta be kidding

Old 08-30-2007, 05:40 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
Rarely does the Trinity look like that. The majority of the time, it looks like a small creek in front of Downtown Dallas. Only when it floods does it look like a real river.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:29 PM

42 posts, read 164,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Rarely does the Trinity look like that. The majority of the time, it looks like a small creek in front of Downtown Dallas. Only when it floods does it look like a real river.
True. However, the new Trinity River project will be a much needed revitalization of the river. With all things done right, it will be one of the most beautiful urban parks in the world.

However, with the bond elections by the people who want to remove the toll road, this may take some time. I hope the bond fails, so the toll road will be built (we need it for traffic!) and the Trinity project will finally begin to break ground.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:40 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
I like Dallas, It has more shape and color, although Houston does beat us is density and height. Its like comparing Houston to Seattle, settles' skyline is magnificent but short.

I really want Dallas to have a tower thats over 1000 feet, are there any plans? I mean... Nashville is disputing getting one...

Dallas popular among Asians, although Houston has more. The only thing Dallas has more of is Laotians and Koreans.... I think. But yeah I wish Dallas was a lot of things it isn't, and it makes me sad cause I would love to combine the factors of some many cities and have this one great city. Like LA's diversity, Seattles' skyline's shape, Ny popularity, Dallas' housing prices, and SD crime rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas