Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 09:54 PM

581 posts, read 924,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Suburban Dallas has nothing on this.

The Woodlands, Texas

Montrose 1100 on houstonarchitecture.info
I was prepared to swing my head to look at a magnificent skyline when it stopped abruptly. Where is the rest of that dynamic picture?

Here is downtown Las Colinas:

las colinas pictures

And here is downtown Addison:

Addison Texas - Things to do in Addison

And the Telecom Corridor:

... : www.ProPhotoDallas.com , photo title: Richardson Telecom Corridor

I couldn't find a good photo of Preston Center or Park Central. I did find this rendering of the still pie in the sky future Midtown project by Beck though:

Addendum at 10 a.m. May 3: Peer Chacko sent a note this morning that says,

Here is a shot of CityPlace as it is beginning to further thicken:

Design Awards Gallery - Unbuilt Desing Awards Entry

Gee, there is lots to compare with that skyline in the Woodlands. But the Woodlands really hasn't hit the ground running yet. Greenspoint is much bigger.
"Bang!" Just kidding. I like doing that when talking about Gunspoint.

Here is an interesting view of the commercial center around the Mockingbird TOD, the area of SMU and Snider Village with the latter being another of those urban shopping jewels Dallas is famous for:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...spart=visicom#

Here is the Bush Library at SMU and a monster view of downtown / Uptown Dallas.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...spart=visicom#

Last edited by binkyman; 09-02-2013 at 10:22 PM..

Old 09-02-2013, 10:44 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
I was prepared to swing my head to look at a magnificent skyline when it stopped abruptly. Where is the rest of that dynamic picture?

Here is downtown Las Colinas:

las colinas pictures

And here is downtown Addison:

Addison Texas - Things to do in Addison

And the Telecom Corridor:

... : www.ProPhotoDallas.com , photo title: Richardson Telecom Corridor

I couldn't find a good photo of Preston Center or Park Central. I did find this rendering of the still pie in the sky future Midtown project by Beck though:

Here is a shot of CityPlace as it is beginning to further thicken:

Design Awards Gallery - Unbuilt Desing Awards Entry

Gee, there is lots to compare with that skyline in the Woodlands. But the Woodlands really hasn't hit the ground running yet. Greenspoint is much bigger.
"Bang!" Just kidding. I like doing that when talking about Gunspoint.

Here is an interesting view of the commercial center around the Mockingbird TOD, the area of SMU and Snider Village with the latter being another of those urban shopping jewels Dallas is famous for:

Here is the Bush Library at SMU and a monster view of downtown / Uptown Dallas.

None of those Dallas burbs you listed has twin 450 footers like The Woodlands. The tallest in Las Colinas is 358 feet. Those are all over suburban Houston...too many to count actually. Greenspoint alone probably has 3 or 4 300 footers in its skyline.

Next please.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
None of those Dallas burbs you listed has twin 450 footers like The Woodlands. The tallest in Las Colinas is 358 feet. Those are all over suburban Houston...too many to count actually. Greenspoint alone probably has 3 or 4 300 footers in its skyline.

Next please.
But a lot of these areas I posted, regardless of height of buildings, are fast becoming downtowns. I would think the Telecom Corridor could start building a few verical buildings of thirty stories or so especially if Ratheon decides to build as it is contemplating doing. There is going to be one forty story building in the Midtown development and numerous other thirty somethings, but that is still pie in the sky. Of course, Las Colinas is limited by nearby DFW airport. There are numerous game changers going on in Dallas - Fort Worth, but I'll have to post those in another thread.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:40 PM

568 posts, read 901,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
But a lot of these areas I posted, regardless of height of buildings, are fast becoming downtowns. I would think the Telecom Corridor could start building a few verical buildings of thirty stories or so especially if Ratheon decides to build as it is contemplating doing. There is going to be one forty story building in the Midtown development and numerous other thirty somethings, but that is still pie in the sky. Of course, Las Colinas is limited by nearby DFW airport. There are numerous game changers going on in Dallas - Fort Worth, but I'll have to post those in another thread.
I didn't realize this was a better future potential skyline thread... There is no point in discussing what may or may not be built because far too many proposals never come to fruition. Let's try to keep this thread on what actually exist and is under construction. There is no point in talking about costly long-term projects, Midtown project, because we have no idea how much of it will actually be completed. Besides by the time that thing is completed both cities will have added new highrises to their respective skyline.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
I didn't realize this was a better future potential skyline thread... There is no point in discussing what may or may not be built because far too many proposals never come to fruition. Let's try to keep this thread on what actually exist and is under construction. There is no point in talking about costly long-term projects, Midtown project, because we have no idea how much of it will actually be completed. Besides by the time that thing is completed both cities will have added new highrises to their respective skyline.
Indeed, that is why I have already started a new thread.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:12 AM

420 posts, read 705,894 times
Quote:
Suburban Dallas has nothing on this.

The Woodlands, Texas

Montrose 1100 on houstonarchitecture.info

Wow. Color me impressed by your fascination with the mundane.

Be honest. When you posted this picture, did you really think this generic Anywhere, USA suburban office park strip mall and parking lot would impress anyone?

Las Colinas is a boring, souless giant suburban office park. The Woodlands is no different. The utter bull**** Houston and Dallas (and apparently freaking Tyler) posters will debate over fascinates me. There is not a single thing interesting or unique about either The Woodlands or Irving. Is this a skyline thread or a parking lot thread? Because your pic would only be somewhat relevant in the latter.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:47 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
The Woodlands sucks. It's just a mall and some buildings.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:02 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
Wow. Color me impressed by your fascination with the mundane.

Be honest. When you posted this picture, did you really think this generic Anywhere, USA suburban office park strip mall and parking lot would impress anyone?

Las Colinas is a boring, souless giant suburban office park. The Woodlands is no different. The utter bull**** Houston and Dallas (and apparently freaking Tyler) posters will debate over fascinates me. There is not a single thing interesting or unique about either The Woodlands or Irving. Is this a skyline thread or a parking lot thread? Because your pic would only be somewhat relevant in the latter.
Just another generic suburban office park...right.

The Woodlands makes Las Colinas look like an afterthought.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-03-2013 at 11:11 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 11:08 AM

568 posts, read 901,473 times
I am incredibly pro urban but I loved The Woodlands when I went earlier this year. I was so ready to bash it but I couldn't.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:09 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,052 times
Quote:
Just another generic suburban office park...right.

The Woodlands makes Las Colinas look like an afterthought.

Man, Fort Worth has the Woodlands and Houston's street-level beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas