U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 10:35 AM

23 posts, read 83,608 times
Default Richardson area?

Are there any properties around richardson (within 30 miles) for sale that have 1 to 8 acres? in the 120,000 to 170,000 price range?

We live in Iowa and are thinking of moving to Texas.

Sharon & Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2006, 03:11 PM

714 posts, read 1,722,799 times
My guess is no, the area around Richardson is pretty well developed and in demand, especially acreage.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:53 PM

14,874 posts, read 22,641,217 times
Within 30 miles of Richardson you do have several options actually. Depends on how far you want to drive? Do you want new or old homes? If your hunt is for as low as 1-2 acres that can be had w/in the city limits w/ a decent short drive.

Here are some towns that are more rural to look into for lots of acreage availabe w/ more new homes or much older farm homes:
Fairview
McClendon-Chisholm
Forney
Sunnyvale
Wylie
Princeton
Anna
Rockwall

If you want more "in" the city there are some to be had but they are rare and hard to come by. As soon as they go on the market they are gone pretty quick. Actually, I think I just read last week that there is a nice "farm" of sorts for sale in Richardson w/ the old farmhouse on it w/ all updates. It is part of the old Owens family farm I believe is what I read. I will see if I can find the address or street for it and post it for you. Down the road from me is a street in Garland called Talley that is all acreage lots and if a house or some acreage comes up for sale on that street, you better be there when the sign goes in the ground or know the owner is thinking of remotely selling. I know of one parcel of 2 acres went up for sale it sold w/in 2 days. There is a VERY NICE house on the corner of Talley and Murphy (house address is Murphy Rd) that is for sale. They are asking over $1M for it though. But right around there are lots of older ranch homes that are in Sachse that are on acreage that will probably be in your price range.

It is just a matter of figuring out if you want "in" the city or more out w/ more of a commute. But acreage lots are to be had if you know where to look.

Old 07-21-2006, 08:25 AM

1-2 acres is fine. We have 1 1/2 acres now and love it. We like having some room between our neighbors. We also prefer more square footage, we are used to 3500sq ft with a basement for storage, and 5 bedrooms, 3 1/2 baths. Though 3 bedrooms would work, and 2 baths would work also.

We prefer newer homes, that don't need work done. Older is fine as long as work isn't needed.

At the moment we drive 30 miles to work, so a small commute is fine. But, we don't want to drive more then 30 minutes one way, less is better.

We would not be moving anytime soon, since my husband hasn't even started sending a resume' yet.

We just wanted to get an idea of the area and homes and if possible to get an acreage for our price range. Or at least something around an acre.

I couldn't seem to find any when searching real estate websites.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:00 AM

I'd also like to find out about Richardson area:

what is property tax? for a home around 150,000?
What is sales tax?

I've only been in Canton, TX for the flea market (last 2 years), same as my husband, and he's been there for a work related meeting about 7 years ago. I love the thought of living in Texas, as I love anything western and have heard good things about Texas. My parents live in Texas half of the year.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:56 PM

14,874 posts, read 22,641,217 times
To find homes/land available to give you an idea of what is in your price range try checking out realtor.com.

To check out the property taxes and rates look at the website for the county tax appraisal at dallascad.org. Here you can also look up the property tax and history on any particular property you may find and be interested in and the tax rates on all of the local cities/towns. This is a good thing to check to make sure you do not pay WAY over what it is at on the tax rolls. It is typically a little more on the true market value side but the tax rolls should be a little less than that.

The tax rate for most of the Dallas area is 8.25%. Some cities do not participate in DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) and they may have a lower tax rate but not always.

You might like the areas of McClendon-Chisholm, Forney or Fairview to find the newere builds on some acreage. You can order a copy of the Dallas Morning News Sunday edition and read the Real Estate Sections to see all new developments and what is out there.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:17 AM

Yes, I've checked realtor.com and can't find any acreages at all for sale. Maybe I'm not looking in the right towns?

Old 07-23-2006, 10:11 AM

54 posts, read 197,819 times
Default Ellis County

Just wondering if you have considered looking a little south of Dallas... most of my family commutes to Dallas. Waxahachie is just under 30 miles from the city, for example. Many towns close to I-35. The town my husband is from is further out (Italy) used to have no traffic lights, but people like it well enough to make the commute..Italy ISD is great also. Sorry don't remember the taxes in Ellis County. Still land available in those areas where you can stand in your yard and see forever!! People are starting to head out that way so, I believe it's starting to get more expensive.. I hope that this helps give you another option. Although I know how it is when you have your heart set on a special place!

Old 07-23-2006, 12:52 PM

1,067 posts, read 3,823,049 times
The above post is good, I don't know if you are picking Richardson because you just like the location or for a job. If you have a job though, I would stay north because the commute is terrible and live more north east over in horse country around Wylie, Murphy, Lucas areas. We use to live in Cedar Hill and Duncanville. Things are cheaper out that way and people are going more out as the poster above me said, out towards Waxahatchie, Red Oak, Midlothian and beyond. Italy is pretty far away though imo to work in Dallas area/ Richardson but it is a nice sleepy town. There is acres to be had over south and we loved living out that way but the schools are not the best over in Cedar Hill and Duncanville. If you don't have a reason to be in Richardson, if you are looking for land consider the south side. Midlothian and Red Oak are fine as far as schooling goes. Good luck in finding a nice place to live.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:45 PM

Mainly due to work. Want to stay within 30 min of work, and would prefer less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas