Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What characteristics do you prefer in your favorite Texas restaurant?
Elegant Decor 1 3.85%
Cheap Eats 4 15.38%
Rustic/Hole-In-The-Wall 12 46.15%
Patio With Nice View 8 30.77%
Expensive, Fine Dining 1 3.85%
Middle-Of-The-Road Decor 1 3.85%
Inexpensive-To-Moderate, But Good 11 42.31%
Indoor Seating/Air-Conditioned 7 26.92%
1950s-Style Diner 4 15.38%
Truck Stop 2 7.69%
Non-Chain Local Fast Food 5 19.23%
Outdoor Ranch Seating 1 3.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 03:24 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times

Advertisements

Hi, feller Texans! I'm back. You know what? I think it's time we gathered around the computer campfire once again and we'll need extra marshmallows and coat hangers. I checked across C-D-land and I see that we've never done a thread like the one I'm about to introduce (and that's hard to believe), but I want us all to find out what your favorite Texas restaurant is, why you like it, and what your favorite entree is from the place that you mention. It could be home cooking, burgers, steaks, fish, Tex-Mex, Cajun, you name it. Indoor, outdoor, patio, etc. There could be one that is above all the rest in your life, and in your Texas heart of hearts, you must go there at least once a week. You might have a couple or three favorites, but it must be located in Texas. Since this is City-Data, this will also be a helpful guide to newcomers and visitors wanting to tour Texas and taste everything they can come here for.

So, without further delay, let's start tossing this ball around. Also, just for fun, I will include a poll with multiple answers as we wonder what you like in a Texas restaurant (Ooooh, this is going to be fuuuunnnn! ). Here we go, and this thread is about your single, most favorite Texas restaurant. Let 'er rip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 05:50 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
Hey Case, I have special need kiddos so I don't get out that often but when I can I love love love to go to Hilltop Cafe about 10 miles north of Fredricksburg. hmm good, Greek Cajun Hill Country food...dang now I am going to have to go..great music by the way also.

Menu (http://www.hilltopcafe.com/menu/index.htm - broken link)

Old 11-05-2009, 05:55 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
My favorite (since 1977) has always been Tampico's Spanish Inn in Midland....on Wall Street.

Tex-Mex at its finest, with thin, crispy hot chips (usually unlimited for longtime regulars), fresh hot salsa...and the best green enchiladas, tacos and rellenos (unbattered) I've ever had. If I ever go back to Midland, that is the first place I'm heading. I miss it like crazy.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:07 PM

Default When You Go To Glen Rose, Stop Here

Picking just one is hard for some people, namely myself. I have to single out one, though, and here it is. I've mentioned this place before, but it's worth mentioning again: Hammond's BBQ in Glen Rose. They have wonderful smoked brisket, smoky smoked sausage, and perhaps the best pork ribs I've ever eaten. The restaurant history dates back to the year I was born (1966), but what a history, and they do one thing right and do it consistently, and that's make great barbecue. It's also an excuse to go get some of their peanut butter pie. The iced tea is served with a slice of lime in a mason jar. And the location with surrounding hills on U.S. 67 right in the heart of Glen Rose about one mile northeast of the square. Great when you take a trip!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:27 AM

714 posts, read 2,931,782 times
I live in Plano and my favorite cafe is "Little Chef" on Independance and Parker. I go there about once a month for breakfast.

When I travel west to the Abilene area, I like the Dixie Pig in Abilene, and Sirloin 66 in Anson. Both have great breakfasts. I stop at Mary's Cafe in Strawn for their great CFS and home cooking.

When I am in Midland, I always go to Casa Madrid at least once.

Texas has so many rustic, hole-in-the-wall cafes, and that is what I look for, along with good food. I try to pass by the fast-food or chain restaurants, but sometimes I must let my wife win the battle.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:32 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
The only thing I prefer is that the food be ridiculously delicious. Not a choice on the poll.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:44 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
One of my fave's is Esthers in Port Arthur. Where I fell in love with Cajun food and women.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:30 PM

Default Enjoying What We've Tried And Trying Something New

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The only thing I prefer is that the food be ridiculously delicious. Not a choice on the poll.
Now, buddy, when I put that rascal together, I realized that different people have different tastes. That's why we wanted to gauge what type of restaurants and what kind of cost they are to us when we go to our favorite Texas restaurant(s).

Now does it make sense??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
I live in Plano and my favorite cafe is "Little Chef" on Independance and Parker. I go there about once a month for breakfast.

When I travel west to the Abilene area, I like the Dixie Pig in Abilene, and Sirloin 66 in Anson. Both have great breakfasts. I stop at Mary's Cafe in Strawn for their great CFS and home cooking.

When I am in Midland, I always go to Casa Madrid at least once.

Texas has so many rustic, hole-in-the-wall cafes, and that is what I look for, along with good food. I try to pass by the fast-food or chain restaurants, but sometimes I must let my wife win the battle.
That one in Plano, I may try one day since I live closeby.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:38 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
GREAT thread, Case! And original, fer sure!

As it is, I went with Rustic/Hole in the Wall...

THAT is where you find the best of the best of Texas/Southern/Tex-Mex cookin'

AND...them (remember?) "booths" where you could/can still put a quarter in the private juke box for three plays..?

Old 11-07-2009, 07:41 AM

Default We Want Your Pics

By the way, folks, if you've got pictures to offer of your very favorite Texas restaurant (the building or that great plate of yours), then bring 'em. We want to see them.

Also, don't forget our thread poll if you haven't yet voted. We'll do this until November 26, so be sure to vote when you can. All those things within your favorite eating place and what you require of it (besides the fact that the food is obviously good), and you can offer multiple answers. Just think: there are no wrong answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas