Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 03:34 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,766,134 times

Advertisements

Most people in this forum that bash Austin, and its nightlife, are not from Austin nor have they ever lived there. When I lived in Austin almost everyone agreed Austin had the best nightlife in Texas, even people from other cities. For some reason non-Austin Texans are very jealous of Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 08:33 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,863,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Most people in this forum that bash Austin, and its nightlife, are not from Austin nor have they ever lived there. When I lived in Austin almost everyone agreed Austin had the best nightlife in Texas, even people from other cities. For some reason non-Austin Texans are very jealous of Austin.
Austin has a relatively nice bar/live music scene for being a college town, but its club, ultra lounge, & after hours scene is much to be desired, especially when compared to the much larger, cosmopolitan cities of Dallas & Houston.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:03 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,016,134 times
Quote:
I have a home in Austin, so I know the city very well. It is just that other cities have a nightlife throughout the city and Austin is more concentrated downtown. Take SA there is so many things always going on there from festival to the numerous clubs and bars throughout the city every weekend. So it has a nice vibrant nightlife. As a kid I would always want to checkl out the nightlife in other cities as a curious thing to do.

Sorry Austin, no one is bashing you but you are not the Cat's meow that you think you are

Old 11-13-2009, 08:44 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,598,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Austin has a relatively nice bar/live music scene for being a college town, but its club, ultra lounge, & after hours scene is much to be desired, especially when compared to the much larger, cosmopolitan cities of Dallas & Houston.
Exactly, I don't know what kool-aid these Austinites have been drinking that has deluded them to the point that they think they are on par with Dallas or Houston but they simply are not, end of discussion. Austin has a great scene, especially for the size of the metro but that doesn't mean it has the same size and scope of clubs/bar/lounges/districts like Houston and Dallas. For an example, I've been to Austin's warehouse district and it left much to be desired compared to Oak Lawn in Dallas. Oak Lawn's nightlife and neighborhood doesn't cover just Cedar Springs but many square miles of neighborhoods with multiple bars and clubs. Please show me in Austin where you can find a club on the same scale as S4, Cirque, Plush, Candleroom, Sense, Escapade 2009 or even Ghost Bar (even though that place is way overhyped and pretentious but still.) The nightlife in Dallas is too expansive and varied for Austin to even begin to compete. Same goes for Houston as far as I can tell but honestly I haven't had that much experience with nightlife in Houston, but nevertheless how can a progressive metro of 1.6 million seriously compete with a cosmopolitan and progressive metro of 5.7 million. Sorry boutcha Austin, time to take that overinflated ego down a notch

Old 11-13-2009, 11:36 AM

238 posts, read 764,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGreenMan View Post
How would you rank these cities by Nightlife(Clubs,bars, and the amount of parties people every weekend)?

Dallas
Houston
Fort Worth
San Antonio
Austin
El Paso
Mcallen

Where do you plan to go?

Old 11-13-2009, 11:54 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,766,134 times
I don't know I have been to Houston and Dallas and didn't think the club scene there was any better than Austin. However, if being expensive makes clubbing better than Dallas and Houston win hands down. Anyway, I am more of a down to earth bar kinda guy and not a douchebag clubber.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:06 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,598,082 times
Quote:
I don't know I have been to Houston and Dallas and didn't think the club scene there was any better than Austin. However, if being expensive makes clubbing better than Dallas and Houston win hands down. Anyway, I am more of a down to earth bar kinda guy and not a douchebag clubber.
But that's my point, Dallas and Houston nightlife is more varied and wide ranging i.e. any type of person can find any type of club they want in all varying degrees. So what's better for you may not be for the next person. In these two cities you can find more places to please differing tastes.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:14 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,863,786 times
Austin's nightlife & the town in general is way over rated IMO. Once you're past your college years that's when the "coolness" of Austin begins to wear off.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:25 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,783,996 times
Quote:
I don't understand the thinking that when Austin is not talked about as the best thing to come along since sliced bread, that means it's being bashed and/or people are jealous?? Seriously. That's where the term Austitude comes from!

And yes, I lived in Austin for many years. And still go back a lot. And still think it's overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas