Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 09:39 AM

16,087 posts, read 40,998,312 times

Advertisements

I've met a lot of organ players from Baylor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 11:53 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I've met a lot of organ players from Baylor.
They are transplants; gay people aren't natives here in Waco!

Old 12-15-2009, 12:52 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,492,716 times
Houston is friendly to everyone.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:23 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,648,386 times
I think most friendly cities are across state lines

Old 12-15-2009, 06:19 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,120,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post
I haven't heard that either! Interesting. The only thing I've heard about the LGBT population in both cities is that Houston seems to have a few more lesbians while Dallas appeals slightly more to gay men. No idea if it's true or not, that's just what I heard.
I guess I wouldn't totally disagree. I go out on the scene in Houston a lot. If you ever watch Mexican comedy shows, trannies actually quite common (on the ones I've seen). (I've asked my boyfriend why...so many times.) Houston has quite a few Mexicans and a generally accepting population.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:19 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,798,876 times
I'm very pleased and somewhat surprised by the evident tolerance of what at least seems to be a good portion of the urbanites of Texas, and with the election of the new mayor in Houston it is has shifted my mind-set of what Texas is.

Coming from another big state where the blatant stereotypes are also based on the few, I must unfortunately admit being biased by some of stereotypes of Texas- "Friday night football and Saturday night ***-bashing". I have to check myself and remember that just about every person I have met from Texas I absolutely adore for their friendliness and great spirit- and many of them are gay.

So, while I still might be run out of rural towns by the redneck locals in certain parts of the state-(I'm joking, but at least admit it, there are some haters) I think I need to realize that I would probably have a great time visiting many of your cities and meet a whole bunch more of some friendly Texans to push many of those negative stereotypes right out of my head. Of course, as a couple in our 40s and having been together 23 years we probably wouldn't even visit a Gay bar, but we do like progressive and dynamic neighborhoods and friendly folks of all persuasions and it certainly seems Texas has that in spades.

Ok, ...about another Texas stereotype (this probably should be another thread but hopefully it will now be received as less of a Troll comment than just a friendly jab to be disproven) is it true that no one in Texas walks? ;-)

Old 12-15-2009, 09:00 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,500,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I'm very pleased and somewhat surprised by the evident tolerance of what at least seems to be a good portion of the urbanites of Texas, and with the election of the new mayor in Houston it is has shifted my mind-set of what Texas is.

Coming from another big state where the blatant stereotypes are also based on the few, I must unfortunately admit being biased by some of stereotypes of Texas- "Friday night football and Saturday night ***-bashing". I have to check myself and remember that just about every person I have met from Texas I absolutely adore for their friendliness and great spirit- and many of them are gay.

So, while I still might be run out of rural towns by the redneck locals in certain parts of the state-(I'm joking, but at least admit it, there are some haters) I think I need to realize that I would probably have a great time visiting many of your cities and meet a whole bunch more of some friendly Texans to push many of those negative stereotypes right out of my head. Of course, as a couple in our 40s and having been together 23 years we probably wouldn't even visit a Gay bar, but we do like progressive and dynamic neighborhoods and friendly folks of all persuasions and it certainly seems Texas has that in spades.

Ok, ...about another Texas stereotype (this probably should be another thread but hopefully it will now be received as less of a Troll comment than just a friendly jab to be disproven) is it true that no one in Texas walks? ;-)
Excellent post! We´d be happy to have you drop on by to see our cities and get a feel for Texas as it is

And to your last question - sadly, walking in most parts of our metro areas is hard to impossible. That is slowly changing as the movement to revitalize downtowns and other dense areas is picking up steam, but outside of these areas, yea, driving is a must.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:48 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,502,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I can't speak for the other cities, but in Dallas there are several walkable areas with lots of residential options. They are Downtown Welcome to Downtown Dallas, Uptown Uptown Dallas - Main, Knox-Henderson Knox/Henderson Guide on Citysearch® and Oak Lawn. I couldn't find a website for Oak Lawn specifically, but it's about 2 miles north of Downtown and it's the largest gayborhood in Dallas (think Hillcrest in San Diego). Dallas also has a growing light rail system which will get you to a lot of places DART.org - DART Rail System Map. But Dallas is still a very spread out place, so you would most likely need to have a car here.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:56 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,798,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
I can't speak for the other cities, but in Dallas there are several walkable areas with lots of residential options. They are Downtown Welcome to Downtown Dallas, Uptown Uptown Dallas - Main, Knox-Henderson Knox/Henderson Guide on Citysearch® and Oak Lawn. I couldn't find a website for Oak Lawn specifically, but it's about 2 miles north of Downtown and it's the largest gayborhood in Dallas (think Hillcrest in San Diego). Dallas also has a growing light rail system which will get you to a lot of places DART.org - DART Rail System Map. But Dallas is still a very spread out place, so you would most likely need to have a car here.
Well, whether or not ya'll walk, it apparently isn't because you don't have walkable cities. Inputting the top four Texas cities into Walkscore.com yields a perfect 100 pts for Austin, (Nice!) an impressive 92 for both Houston and San Antonio, and a modest but not bad 66 for Dallas. Now I don't think walkscore accounts for weather- which, from what I've heard, can be brutal sometimes- but I'm impressed!

I guess the reputation comes from the majority of Texans who live in the suburbs (as do most Americans) and couldn't function for a day without their car. And since I would rather deal with suspicious rednecks in the country (I grew up in the country and worked several summers on a large family farm in Nebraska-I can handle country) than ever visit the suburbs of Texas (or anywhere, Yawn!) then I'm all the more ready about paying ya'll a visit sometime.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:01 PM

16,087 posts, read 40,998,312 times
My walk score for my current address in Junius Heights near Lakewood Shopping Center in East Dallas: 74

Previous address near Knox-Henderson in Cochran Heights: 75

My homeplace in the Lakewood area: 80

Where I lived when I was born (northern part of Lakewood): 45 - but I could walk to White Rock Lake.

Dallas top 10% is 85.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas