Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:27 AM
rwr

268 posts, read 611,836 times

Advertisements

I 10 from Kerrville to El Paso- pedal to the metal 80 + mph !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 08:14 AM

52,681 posts, read 47,928,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
281 up through the Hill Country.

Sorry, neddy, but U.S. 281 is not an interstate. Would not qualify. Great drive, though.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:40 AM

Default Great Things To See

I have several that qualify as favorites, but they're often limited to just mere stretches.

I-35: The stretch through Denton (35 and 35E), and once again crossing the Brazos at Waco, approaching Temple from the north, Salado, and the stretch through Austin, and then the gateway into San Antonio from the northeast. It also goes by the greatness of the UT-Austin campus with the burgeoning Austin skyline and also offers a great excuse to grab a Round Rock donut.

I-45: The Galveston Causeway, and from the north into Houston from the Sam Houston Tollway (great view of Downtown Houston on the approach to Aldine-Bender on the ascent.....classic!!), and right by downtown going around the west and south sides. Also the view of the Sam Houston statue amongst the tall pines near Huntsville makes the road worthwhile. And it doesn't hurt to have the Collin Street Bakery's second Corsicana location right there off the northbound frontage.

I-10: The Davis Mountains, Paisano Pete, various rock cuts in the Texas Hill Country, the decks in San Antonio, the breathtaking I-410 interchange overlooking a great view of Downtown SA, and the vastly improved Katy Freeway entering Houston.

I-27: Downtown Lubbock.

I-30: The stretch through Texarkana.

I-40: Glenrio, the desert canyons, the Midpointe Cafe and Gift Shop in Adrian, access to various points of Route 66, the Groom crosses, the Leaning Water Tower, and Shamrock.

I think I covered it all.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,689,699 times
Sorry, of all highways I can't say any interstates are ''favorites.''

Aside from a few spots, I-10 is possibly the most boring 880 miles in the entire country. Few spots being around El Paso and Kerrville. The area NW of El Paso by Anthony is pretty cool.

I-45 aside from a brief pass through the Piney woods is boring and the stretch through Houston is an hour-long eyesore even by H-town standards.

I-35 is nice through the eastern fringe of the Hill Country, but that's about it.

If you're looking for I-40 or I-75 type drives through Tennessee, you won't find them in Texas. For good drives in TX you have to venture to state highways or farm/ranch roads.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:25 AM

2,324 posts, read 3,931,884 times
Though not an interstate, the stretch of the Marsha Sharp Freeway running through the Texas Tech campus should be nice once complete.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:30 AM

If you've got interstate roadside pictures worthy of this very thread, bring 'em on! Let's see them.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:05 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
I-10 through West Texas
117 Interstate 10, Kent, TX, United States - Google Maps

The other Interstates are OK, but nothing special. 1-45 has some good views around the Huntsville Area.

Now the most beautiful routes are the state highways; I love taking Highway 7 and 164 when going back home from Houston to Waco. Highway 6 is pretty cool driving through Calvert (that's until the cops pull you over!)

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 11-10-2009 at 11:20 AM..

Old 11-10-2009, 11:09 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,610,944 times
Kind of an odd thread to me. Interstates make for fairly easy and quick travel. For that, I appreciate them for what they are. But scenic routes that let you experience local towns and the countryside - they generally are NOT. So I can't say that I have a favorite. If time was not a consideration, I'd much rather travel the back roads. And stay far away from the interstates.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:30 PM

67 posts, read 149,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post

I-40: Glenrio, the desert canyons, the Midpointe Cafe and Gift Shop in Adrian, access to various points of Route 66, the Groom crosses, the Leaning Water Tower, and Shamrock.

I think I covered it all.

What downtown?

What about Amarillo? the largest city on the whole route in texas.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:51 PM

714 posts, read 2,931,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Kind of an odd thread to me. Interstates make for fairly easy and quick travel. For that, I appreciate them for what they are. But scenic routes that let you experience local towns and the countryside - they generally are NOT. So I can't say that I have a favorite. If time was not a consideration, I'd much rather travel the back roads. And stay far away from the interstates.
You have a point, but for those of us who live in a place like the DFW area, I-20 is a good way to get away and enjoy Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas