Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 12:33 PM

249 posts, read 647,791 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
my husband and I wish to relocate but are having trouble deciding between Texas and Georgia. We currently live in Northern NJ and want OUT! He works for Verizon Communications and I'm an RN currently working as a School Nurse, we also have a daughter who will be 2 next year. We know that Texas is doing better than Georgia in this crazy economy and that Austin was ranked # 1 city, while Atl was 106.
can someone give us some advise/info if you have lived in both areas... or atleast clue us in on Texas, I know it's a huge state, but I have never been there and don't know much about it. I am confident that as a nurse finding a job won't be an issue, but I would like to conitue working as a school nurse.
We are also Christian and want the access of good Christian schools, which here is NJ is limited. Over the recent years we have become more Libertarians than anything (versus rep/dem) and we just feel that NJ is simply too liberal of a state for us. We believe in strong moral/christian values, we believe in the right to bare arms and simply in the good old Constitution!
Texas seems like the right fit for us, or so we think.... any opinions?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 01:27 PM

26 posts, read 78,866 times
The most important thing a person has to do is take care of their family. Texas has a growing economy and is generally conservative. There are many churches so that also that should not be a problem. I am also a Verizon engineer so I can say that Telecom is probably as good here (Richardson) as anywhere in the country. My recommendation is find a good stable position in any of the larger Texas metro areas and enjoy life. Texas is far from perfect, but I think you will learn to love it as I do.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkvidal View Post
Hi all,
my husband and I wish to relocate but are having trouble deciding between Texas and Georgia. We currently live in Northern NJ and want OUT! He works for Verizon Communications and I'm an RN currently working as a School Nurse, we also have a daughter who will be 2 next year. We know that Texas is doing better than Georgia in this crazy economy and that Austin was ranked # 1 city, while Atl was 106.
can someone give us some advise/info if you have lived in both areas... or atleast clue us in on Texas, I know it's a huge state, but I have never been there and don't know much about it. I am confident that as a nurse finding a job won't be an issue, but I would like to conitue working as a school nurse.
We are also Christian and want the access of good Christian schools, which here is NJ is limited. Over the recent years we have become more Libertarians than anything (versus rep/dem) and we just feel that NJ is simply too liberal of a state for us. We believe in strong moral/christian values, we believe in the right to bare arms and simply in the good old Constitution!
Texas seems like the right fit for us, or so we think.... any opinions?
Thanks
Well I'll say you'll find more people from the north in GA compared to TX.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:29 AM

158 posts, read 469,333 times
I've lived in both states. I wasn't born or raised in either state. I was born and lived in KY and my Husband NY.

Given your description of your beliefs and your political views you would fit in both places without too much trouble. IMHO.

I would suggest Texas though because the economy here is fairly good. I would suggest living near to a city in Texas (as opposed to a more rural setting) given that you are coming from NJ and have stated you would like to continue as a school nurse and you would have more choices to private Christian schools in those areas.

Whichever you choose, you will find that you will have an adaptation period and I don't mean that lightly. You will find that both cultures (for lack of a better word) are different from NJ, with GA probably the most different.

I have lived in many different areas of the USA and elsewhere in the world, there is always an adaptation period. I found that I, myself, love the SW culture of the USA. So I am a bit biased in my opinions. Good luck!

Old 11-13-2009, 12:41 PM

Ok so we have researched the job market for both of us as well what each city has to offer to point of mental fatigue !
We have decided that we will be moving to Texas !!!! We are very excited about this. We have read very good things about Texas, it economy and job propects.
We are interested in Austin, we would like a nice neighborhood around Austin, don't want to necessarily live in it. any suggestions?

Old 11-13-2009, 12:47 PM

15,232 posts, read 35,410,327 times
Austin is probably the most expensive of the major cities, although I wouldn't say that the suburbs are all that expensive compared to the country as a whole. You should probably post (or just search) in the Austin subforum for more information. I think there are several threads that are very similar in nature to yours.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:47 PM

158 posts, read 469,333 times
Off hand I suggest looking at Round Rock Texas. Check out Plugerville, I don't remember a lot about that town but it is very close to Austin.

Another area I visited which is not as close to Austin, and I'm not sure if it is even in the ballpark of making a commute but check out the town of Marble Falls Texas. (gorgeous!). San Marcos Texas is about a half an hour or so from Austin.

To be honest there are so many beautiful smaller towns that are within a half an hour drive or 45 minute or less drive from Austin. Good luck to you and your family!

Old 11-14-2009, 12:03 PM

Thanks Armywifeandmom... thats exactly what we are planning on doing, taking a trip down there renting a car and just driving around. I want to check out all those little towns that are no more than a 30 min drive to downtown austin. Thanks all for your comment and posts i really appreciate it.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:54 PM

34 posts, read 108,731 times
What type of christian are yall?I'm just wondering.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:00 PM

We belong to the Church of Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas