Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is it?
Dallas 5 11.63%
Houston 8 18.60%
Amarillo 3 6.98%
Lubbock 7 16.28%
San Antonio 15 34.88%
Austin 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 05:27 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,820,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Yeah I agree with this...there may possibly only be a few places in Houston that fit his criteria for great cajun food. But there really is a noticeable cajun influence among Houstonians. It may not seem that way to someone who is from Houston and has lived there their whole lives. Or someone from SW LA. But coming from a region outside of SETX/SWLA, the cajun imprint is pretty noticeable. Its on par with, or just behind the Latino influence in Houston imo.
Well it depends. You do in fact have a lot of Creoles and such, and other Houstonians with roots in southern Louisiana (i.e. Beyonce), but you also have a lot of people with roots in East Texas, North Louisiana, and other southern states. Personally, a majority of people from Houston I've met were just generally southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 05:29 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,851,762 times
My old instructor down in Houston was from Louisiana & he'd make the best damn boudain I've EVER tasted. He runs a food catering business full time now.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Personally, a majority of people from Houston I've met were just generally southern.
The majority of Houstonians I've met aren't Southerners at all, they were from foreign countries.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The majority of Houstonians I've met aren't Southerners at all, they were from foreign countries.
Well we obviously run in different circles.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:37 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,566,176 times
Quote:
The reason that Tex-Mex isn't so big in the Golden Triangle is because that area is still what Houston used to be: a southern town with not much Mexican influence.

I can imagine. That must have been awhile ago, before I was born... because looking back in my elementary school yearbook, there were plenty of Hispanic kids in the outskirts of Houston back in 1983. I can imagine what the core of the city was like back then.

In many ways the GT feels like it's about 20-something years behind but really seems the least like 'Texas' versus other regions I'm familiar with. Deep East & Deep SE TX both seem rather isolated from the 'Texas Plex' triangle. Once you get to the Neches and Sabine Rivers things noticeably change.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Well we obviously run in different circles.
What area of Houston are you in that you meet all these said Southerners, Baytown or Conroe? LOL

I'm talking about the Houston I know such as the VERY diverse SW side of the city where I used to live/work & the inner loop. You sure won't find any Southerners there unless you're reffering to people from Southeast Asia, or South America

Old 11-15-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
What area of Houston are you in that you meet all these said Southerners, Baytown or Conroe? LOL

I'm talking about the Houston I know such as the VERY diverse SW side of the city where I used to live/work & the inner loop. You sure won't find any Southerners there unless you're reffering to people from Southeast Asia, or South America
Well I'm going to be honest. Most of the Houstonians I've met/known are black and born and bred within the city. Most of them are either from the SW side or from the NW and NE sides of town (if you want "in your face" southern, that's where it is).

I also attended Lamar Univ where many if not most of the students were from the Houston area, and half of them were as country as they come.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:08 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,975,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
Putting Amarillo and Lubbock on there while Forth Worth or some other cities size of Amarillo is big time bias. Don't know why you put Lubbock or Amarillo on there.

Definitely only OP's poll only.

cause there needs to be a city from the panhandle(Amarillo, Lubbock), a city from the central part(SA and Austin) and East TX (Houston) and Northern (Dallas), all represent a different side of TX. I didnt put El Paso in there cause to me, it isnt like TX, its more like New Mexico or Mexico.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:16 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,975,437 times
what I mean by true TX lifestyle or culture is-

example- in New Mexico the eastern side of the state is more like TX, the Southern part has more of a Mexican influence and the Northern part of the state is more Native American,Spanish,adobe,chile,turquoise, and more true New Mexico feeling, all these areas also have different landscapes and style of people.

so, which city in TX would you say has that true TX vibe.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:06 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,006,304 times
The Poll choices are lacking. Where is Fort Worth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas