Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 03:28 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,823,180 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon,

I'm certain there have been countless threads / posts concerning St. Augustine Grass.

We live in San Antonio and both the front and backyards are St. Augustine. I was told that the most common developer St. Augustine is Raleigh, so I assume that's what we have. Our home was built 10 years ago and everything is growing well with the exception of several areas of grass in the front yard which are under a medium sized Red Oak. I did have it thinned a couple of years ago and maybe its that time again. Under the canopy I am noticing a slow progression of thinning grass. I have read until I'm blue in the face and now I extremely confused. To my knowledge Palmetto is a more shade tolerant St Augustine but others say that Floratam and Bitter Blue are more tolerant.

Can anyone answer my question as to which is more shade tolerant?

How do you keep your St Augustine so thick and lush in the shade?

If I end up buying another variety it will have to be plugs. Do I have to use a Grass Plugging Tool?

Thank you Very Much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 09:04 PM
rwr

268 posts, read 609,149 times
I have Floratam, it does very well in the shade. The trick is to keep your trees trimmed so some filtered light gets through. Only drawback I have found is that I have to mow it weekly from May thru August. Make sure and treat for chinch bugs and grubs twice a year and fertilize twice a year. I have sandy loam soil here in Pleasanton, but I hear it does well in S.A. also. God Bless

Old 11-22-2009, 09:20 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,823,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr View Post
I have Floratam, it does very well in the shade. The trick is to keep your trees trimmed so some filtered light gets through. Only drawback I have found is that I have to mow it weekly from May thru August. Make sure and treat for chinch bugs and grubs twice a year and fertilize twice a year. I have sandy loam soil here in Pleasanton, but I hear it does well in S.A. also. God Bless

God Morning rwr,

Thank you so much for the information. I tend to read so much that I become confused. Why not ask folks who have the information such as yourself ?

I will do my best to get my hands on several pieces of Floratam. Have you ever planted St Augustine as a plug? I have in the past, well 20 years ago. We cut pieces up into fours and placed them throughout or back yard at another home. I can't tell you what variety it was but the back yard was extremely thick and green.

Again I Thank You.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:21 PM
rwr

268 posts, read 609,149 times
I planted the old garden variety of St. Augustine by checkerboard method at my first house and it filled in in about 2 seasons. I planted Floratam solid at our new home and had instant yard, but I would imagine you could piece it. For a wealth of inf. go to aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu. Have a great evening and God Bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas