U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-22-2009, 10:44 PM

5 posts, read 17,160 times
Default Canadian Looking to Retire

I am a Canadian, in my late fifties looking for a nice warm place to retire. I like to golf, fish, play tennis and the companionship of my dog. I'd love to have a nice condo with a Gulf view, low cost living and in a neighbourhood/city with a low crime rate.

I hear Texas is a friendly state and maybe Corpus Cristi is a good place for a guy like me? Do you have any recommendations?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 05:07 AM
rwr

234 posts, read 235,561 times
Default Corpus Christi

Corpus Christi would be a good fit for you. The only real draw-back about living anywhere on the Texas coast would be the little wind storms we have now and then called hurricanes. I suggest you make your home base further inland ,say Floresville, Pleasanton, etc., then you can jump in the 'ol pickup and be fishing off Marker 39 in under 2 hours. God Bless and welcome to Texas!!

Old 11-23-2009, 08:03 AM

14,507 posts, read 26,630,080 times
have you considered the culture of the location you pick if you come into the south Texas area??
there is large Hispanic population (legal and illegal) in TX with larger numbers in area south of San Antonio to the border...many people who consider moving to south TX area for employment or retirement are put off by the transmutation into a quasi-Hispanic territory...
have you checked any type of crime maps on Internet for Corpus and other towns in area?
will you be able to use your Canadian health coverage in US?

Old 11-23-2009, 09:27 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,585,167 times
What part of Canada are y'all coming from?

My wife is an ex-Maritimer from NB. Her parents are there and siblings are both in NS. Texas is nice but the humidity might be a shock especially at Gulf side. Also along the coast there are clouds of voracious mosquitoes. (I've lived on the coast before for a couple of decades).

Have y'all been to Texas before and if so what parts?

On the point of Hurricanes I can offer some insight maybe. Yes, they can be devastating but even if your structure survives (oceanview structures can be built to survive all but the worst storms but most aren't) what can be almost as trying is the aftermath. We live 75 miles inland but were in the direct path of Hurricane Rita (the forgotten storm of 2005) and were without power for 2 1/2 weeks ... quite trying as the temps were in the low-mid 90's (farenheit) with 90% humidity. It was rough for us with young kids and little support from emergency agencies and the government allowed limited access from individuals. Luckily I had 2 generators, a water well, and had stockpiled fuel and food.

We did much better post Ike last year partly because of our experience in 2005 and also the temps were much cooler.

On the Candian healthcare thingy I think you'll need private insurance until we get out federal "healthcare" shoved down our throats.

My recommendation would be try and buy some waterfront acreage on one of our larger inland lakes. Decide what you like as far as surroundings and pick a waterway. Some suggestions:

---Sam Rayburn Reservoir --- Located in East Texas, a heavily forested region, this lake is 55 miles long and has really good fishing, partly because it is semi-remote.

---Toledo Bend Reservoir --- Same region as Rayburn (only 25 miles apart at one point) This lake is 80 miles long and in a slightly more hilly setting. This lake allows private docks and boathouses whereas Rayburn doesn't. Some great watery vistas available for sale online right now here. Very good fishing here too.

To note there are many other lakes in this wetter part of Texas but these two are the largest by far.

Central and South Texas:

--- Choke Canyon Lake --- Outside San Antonio to the southeast (towards the coast and San Antonio) this large lake has outstanding fishing right now. Also on an expressway Interstate Hiway (37) and is about an hour + to San Antonio and an hour+ to Corpus and the coast. You could have the best of both worlds with outstanding freshwater fishing and a short drive to some of the world's best coastal saltwater fishing.

If you want less humidity down on the Mexican border are 2 lakes :

--- Falcon --- great fishing but not such an aesthetic area ... the surrounding area is just low brush with very few trees. Probably the best bass fishing lake in America. Also another relatively short drive to the coast and the awesome fishing spoke of in the previous review.

--- Amistad --- Also on the border but beautiful clear blue water, near Texas' only Nat'l Park, semi desert (IMO), lotsa history (near Laredo), somewhat remote from larger metro areas. Again really good fishing.

In Central Texas I think Lake Buchanan is pretty. There are other lakes but most of the lakes in the state are either smaller or very near or in metro areas. I have also left some others out I'm sure (Lake Livingston - 90,000 acres and 40 miles long). Just need to decide what you want to see when you look out the window.

On the coast I know they are building hurricane resistant beach houses on the upper coast. The lower coast I am somewhat ignorant of but the temps are even warmer and at least some ability to speak Spanish (or Tex/Mex) would be useful.

All the above are suggestions I'd consider as logical if one is unfamiliat with our coast. Obviously millions are OK with living in proximity to the coast. Also all the above lakes (except Amistad) would/could provide a relatively easy drive to the coast. That's what we do .. we take several 3-4 day weekends a year at Gulfside getaways.

email me. PM me , or post if you have other specifics.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:19 PM

5 posts, read 17,160 times
Default For Info

What else can I tell you about myself to help me get into the right location? I am coming from Toronto Ontario, right on one of the great lakes. I like dogs, like Labrador retrievers and golden retrievers. Like the old saying goes, "a dog is a man's best friend".

I use to be in the Canadian Navy on the east coast. Yes, Canada does have a navy, about 1/100th the size of the USA navy. I have been working in the computer industry for the last 30 years, and most recently as a systems project manager.

I love to travel but I have never really seen Texas except IAH to switch planes. I have traveled: throughout Canada, California, Georgia, Ohio, Kentucky, Washington, Oregon, Pennsylvania, New York, Michigan, Florida, Arizona, Nevada, Washington D.C., Europe, Bermuda, many Caribbean islands, Brazil, Peru, Venezuela, Panama, Belize, Guatemala, Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, and Vietnam.

I do hablo poco español and have visited several Latin countries and places like Tijuana Mexico. I am a non-practising Catholic, and I have no interest in religious activities.

I am not a rich man, I still drive a 20 year old car, and I still do my own oil changes, filter changes and brake jobs. I drink beer and whiskey and will smoke a cigar if it is Cuban. I still ride a motorcycle and I’d love to ride all year round. I like short guns, but haven’t had one for 20 years.

Maybe I should stay only for 6 months each year, like Oct. to March. This way I can retain my free health care in Canada. My health is ok, no strokes, cancer, heart attacks, etc.. I hate those mosquitoes.
Your idea of acreage on a lake sounds nice, for fishing and my dog, but I do like to be in a city, for shopping, and friends. I like to walk to most things rather than drive out of necessity.

Last edited by cigar7; 11-23-2009 at 06:30 PM..

Old 11-23-2009, 07:30 PM

4,608 posts, read 4,908,192 times
Cigar man, there's hundreds, thousands of retireds from northern US, maybe from Canada too who come to Texas in the winter then head back north in the summer. They're warmly referred to as snowbirds. Many have second homes along the border, probly the coast as well.

You would do well to do some research on the phenomena, find a group to get in touch with and get answers from them for the lastest and best advise. The link here even has a snowbird section...

Become a Winter Texan and Spend the Winter in the Mild Climate of Texas

Old 11-23-2009, 08:04 PM

Default This will be a QUICKIE

I'm with you on the dogs ... labs being my fav (goldens don't like out heat because of the hair thingy). We duck hunt here warm weather , labs , and alligators are a bad mix! Gotta watch the dogs in South Texas ... know your water.

Whisky .... ahhhh a man after my own heart! I hope you aren't talking that nasty rye krap my FIL likes so much. I'm a Kentucky burbon whisky kinda guy and my fav there is Makers Mark. Cheers!

I know Canada has a navy ... no big deal!

Habla espano ... poquito ... bueno! Some is better than none.

Been thru IAH a few times myself ... heh! Been thru YYZ a few too ... always for the customs thingy and then the connect ... Jazz to Fredericton .

Don't get the ZCubans here in the states but I hear their quality has diminished. Had a Macanudo Petit over at the neighbor,s while sitting out in the yard and enjoying fermented hops and discussing history, guns, politics, and the benefits of buying precious metals. Life is great out here in BFE! Not wealthy but I am rich.

No comment on your religous choices, none of my bidness!

Living here and Canada sounds like the best of both worlds to me. I've often entertained the thought of getting a lakehouse in Maine to spend my summers there.

I'd look closely at the coastal cities of Rockport, POrt Aransas, Corpus, and Galveston. Rockport first. The mid-coast folks will hopefully elaborate on this.

Cars are a must in Texas ... we walk to the mailbox, the bathroom, and the garage! All things are spread out!

Also check out Lake Conroe just north of Houston. Lotsa condos lakeside there.

Motorcycles reign here. Largest Harley dealership in the states (I think) in Beaumont, Texas ... Cowboy Harley Davidson.

Texas is a gun culture ... name your poison(s). I like Smith & Wesson revolvers and love me some Glocks. Also gotta gitcha one of them terrible black carbines, they're kinda short and a hoot to shoot.

Good luck!

Bob

Old 11-23-2009, 10:12 PM

5,560 posts, read 9,228,119 times
Port Isabel/South Padre island. Lots of Canadians there! I wouldn't get rid of the Canadian citizenship...I still think British Columbia/Alberta region is the most beautiful place in the world. I'd live there if I could, but don't know if I'd find work.

Good luck!

Old 11-23-2009, 10:22 PM

12,076 posts, read 7,250,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Cars are a must in Texas ... we walk to the mailbox, the bathroom, and the garage! All things are spread out!

Bob
LOL. That is true! I had not thought of that before but you are so right.

We Texans love our cars.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
LOL. That is true! I had not thought of that before but you are so right.

We Texans love our cars.

Probably should amend this to say trucks ... pickups. I was going down the road the other day in traffic and 10 of the 12 vehicles in front of me were pickups.

I think in Canada they are spoken of by their duty rating ... ie: half ton. All my in-laws and Cannuck folks I've met do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas