Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer/make for the holidays?
Pumpkin Pie 15 36.59%
Sweet Potato Pie 6 14.63%
Both will work 5 12.20%
Neither 15 36.59%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:28 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,521,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

LOL!! Since I grew up on yellow cornbread with some sugar in the batter, I guess we just ain't Southern..... :-)
Oh lord, Cathy, sis. Let's dont go THERE! LOL

Still though, I''ll say for sure that most in the Deep South prefer the white. And I'll go along with you on the yellow.

BUT...NO SUGAR! THAT is poundcake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 10:50 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,502,770 times
Pumpkin all the way! I don´t think we´ve ever had a sweet potato pie actually, just mashed sweet potatoes to put on our plate next to all the other vegetables. The pies we do have are pumpkin, apple and chocolate. But for me, pumpkin is the best. I love this time of year cause we not only get pumpkin pie, but pumpkin beer. Mmmm, pumpkin beer.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:28 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,766,567 times
Apple pie.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:38 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,792,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Oh lord, Cathy, sis. Let's dont go THERE! LOL

Still though, I''ll say for sure that most in the Deep South prefer the white. And I'll go along with you on the yellow.

BUT...NO SUGAR! THAT is poundcake!
LOL!! The discussion we had quite awhile back on cornbread....Blueskies49's buttermilk cornbread recipe was to die for.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/1817036-post65.html

It was moist, tender and sliced perfectly. I have to make adjustments for high altitude (longer cooking, sometimes a little higher temperature) baking, but it was wonderful.

I have a couple of slices of those, along with the blackeyed pea soup I made last year, so I'm all ready for New Year's day, and I don't have to cook!!

Old 11-27-2009, 11:02 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,333,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I say it the exact same way lol

I hate when my roommate (a yankee!) corrects me when I say it like that
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL How does your roommate say it? Pee-can? I used to date a woman from Up East and pure yankee...and she pronounced it that way. I always told her a "Pee-can" was something we hunting and fishermen in Texas used for beer-induced emergencies. Has NO place in a pie....
I'm a yankee, born and bred and I have always pronounced it "puh-kahn" . I must have Southern blood in me!!

Old 11-27-2009, 11:15 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,792,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
I'm a yankee, born and bred and I have always pronounced it "puh-kahn" . I must have Southern blood in me!!
All righty....how about "tomato?"

Old 11-27-2009, 11:43 AM

389 posts, read 1,651,989 times
We have pumpkin and pecan pie but I prefer a non pie item like cranberry fruit salad.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:19 PM

Default Screwed up again!

I can tell I botched up this poll, just like I did last year with the Christmas music! LOL

It seems to have turned into a discussion about ALL type pies as preferences.

What I originally intended was it to be a direct comparisson of pumpkin vs. sweet tater on Thanksgiving! To backtrack just a minute on how it came about was that my lady friend was making pumpkin (she is from out west). I just mentioned to her that, in my experience, while pumpkin is more traditionally associated with Thanksgiving nationally, that sweet-potato was more popular in Texas/South.

That got me to thinking about posting a poll to see if I was right...at least among Texas forum folks. When I put the option of "neither", I really didn't mean it as "other"...just that one doesn't care for either!

But ok, I lose. I worded it wrong. Nothing new for me! *sighs*

As it is, I apparently lose anyway in that pumpkin seems to be outpacing sweet tater pie (so shut my mouth! LOL)

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-27-2009 at 12:30 PM..

Old 11-27-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
LOL. Actually, TGH (*hugs* by the way), I sorta notice it being at least as much East/West as North/South. I know lots of folks in Georgia and the Carolinas say "Pee-Can."

Just for the fun of it, I once did a little informal survey on it, and the "dividing line" appeared to be somewhere close to the Alabama -Georgia border! LOL

In fact, I just may re-do that same "poll" and see if the original results match up again! Stay tuned!

Old 11-27-2009, 12:28 PM

2,185 posts, read 4,990,652 times
I am not southern, but a friend of mine made a sweet potato pie for me once, and ever since that's been my fav pie. She is originally from Atlanta and also made me my frist red velvet cake, taught me to like pickled pigs feet, pigs ears, grits (no sugar) and all kinds of crazy foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas