Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer/make for the holidays?
Pumpkin Pie 15 36.59%
Sweet Potato Pie 6 14.63%
Both will work 5 12.20%
Neither 15 36.59%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 12:29 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,523,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
LOL!! The discussion we had quite awhile back on cornbread....Blueskies49's buttermilk cornbread recipe was to die for.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/1817036-post65.html

It was moist, tender and sliced perfectly. I have to make adjustments for high altitude (longer cooking, sometimes a little higher temperature) baking, but it was wonderful.

I have a couple of slices of those, along with the blackeyed pea soup I made last year, so I'm all ready for New Year's day, and I don't have to cook!!
I remember that (I need to write her...havent seen her in quite a while!) recipe. You are right, Cathy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 01:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,795,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I can tell I botched up this poll, just like I did last year with the Christmas music! LOL

It seems to have turned into a discussion about ALL type pies as preferences.

What I originally intended was it to be a direct comparisson of pumpkin vs. sweet tater on Thanksgiving! To backtrack just a minute on how it came about was that my lady friend was making pumpkin (she is from out west). I just mentioned to her that, in my experience, while pumpkin is more traditionally associated with Thanksgiving nationally, that sweet-potato was more popular in Texas/South.

That got me to thinking about posting a poll to see if I was right...at least among Texas forum folks. When I put the option of "neither", I really didn't mean it as "other"...just that one doesn't care for either!

But ok, I lose. I worded it wrong. Nothing new for me! *sighs*

As it is, I apparently lose anyway in that pumpkin seems to be outpacing sweet tater pie (so shut my mouth! LOL)
Naaaah!! You didn't botch it at all! I am finding the discussion interesting.

I never even heard of a sweet potato pie until just very recently, so I didn't know there was any such thing!

We always had coconut, chocolate or pecan. Pumpkin was what we had at other people's homes. My mom made a mean chess pie, too, as well as the world's best cheesecake.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:17 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,502,770 times
Hey TexasReb (and others!), I found this nifty NY Times infographic thing about web searches and thanksgiving recipes. Of particular note are numbers 1, 2, 4, 7 and 15.

Link!

Old 11-28-2009, 03:47 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,222,738 times
I'm not a fan of either pumpkin or sweet potato pies. They're edible, but not at all my favorites. Instead we had lemon meringue and apple pie on our table.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:24 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,739,726 times
I love the smell of pumpkin pie baking, but do not like eating it. It has something to do with the texture. Never tried sweet potato, but I suppose the outcome would be the same.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

"For Southern purists, the sugar bowl does not come near the batter."
The purists are supposed to prefer white cornbread with no sugar......the southwest is supposed to like yellow cornbread with little or no sugar...and every other place is supposed to like yellow cornbread with sugar!

LOL!! Since I grew up on yellow cornbread with some sugar in the batter, I guess we just ain't Southern..... :-)

Well, Cathy, I guess we ain't Southern either. My first experience with white corn meal came after I was grown and I was over at my aunt's house and she was using it (rather than the yellow) to dip catfish in before frying them.

I generally put a little bit of sugar in everything (almost). It's kind of like using salt. My daughter asked me one time why I sprinkled a little salt in the cake frosting I was making. I told her it made it taste better...just enhances the flavor.

Hey Reb, when you add sugar to cornbread, it's a very small amount and I think it just helps the overall taste of the cornbread. It's never sweet and if you added enough sugar that it would make it sweet, now that would present a completely different situation.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:37 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,795,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Well, Cathy, I guess we ain't Southern either. My first experience with white corn meal came after I was grown and I was over at my aunt's house and she was using it (rather than the yellow) to dip catfish in before frying them.

I generally put a little bit of sugar in everything (almost). It's kind of like using salt. My daughter asked me one time why I sprinkled a little salt in the cake frosting I was making. I told her it made it taste better...just enhances the flavor.

Hey Reb, when you add sugar to cornbread, it's a very small amount and I think it just helps the overall taste of the cornbread. It's never sweet and if you added enough sugar that it would make it sweet, now that would present a completely different situation.
I didn't use white cornmeal at all until I was an adult, either. I was thinking that it was a novelty....LOL!! Now I use a medium-coarse grind from Bob's Red Mill if I can find it!

The recipe that we always had contained enough sugar to make it taste sweet, and as much as my mom loved sugar, I'd be willing to bet that she added more! She would add a little sugar (maybe a tsp or so) to okra gumbo, squash casserole, et al. Salt and sugar can really add something to certain things, depending on what it is.

The cornbread we always had probably came from the back of the Quaker yellow cornmeal round:

1 c cornmeal
1 c flour
1/4 c sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 c milk
1/4 c shortening or bacon grease

A cast iron skillet was always placed in the oven with a couple of TB of either Crisco or bacon grease while the batter was mixed.

This is the recipe that always crumbled to bits for me, and it used to P me O so bad that I quit making it! I would just get furious when it would come out of the oven so pretty golden brown...and then just fall into crumbs when I cut it!!

But that didn't happen with Blueskies' recipe. I think it is that it has no flour. It was perfect!

Old 11-28-2009, 05:17 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,621,677 times
Neither pie for me please! As a Texan I am all pecan and then Chess or Buttermilk pie.hmmm got to make me that now...

Old 11-28-2009, 09:14 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,502,770 times
I´ve seen two people mention it now, so I must ask, what is chess pie?

Old 11-28-2009, 09:15 PM

The traditional pecan pie is one of my all-time favorites, but once when we were visiting an aunt in MS, she made a chocolate pecan pie. OMG! It was one of the best things I've ever eaten!

Sorry Reb, but you know when you introduce food in the subject, you're just not going to be able to limit it to only TWO varieties of pie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas