Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 AM

52 posts, read 131,659 times

Advertisements

Me again,
So which city in Texas does everyone thing is best for a non married, no children, gal? Which has best transportation, weather, areas where you can walk to everything if you dont want a car?????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 09:32 AM

3,243 posts, read 5,579,291 times
I can't imagine living in Texas without a car. For example, Houston metro area is probably 40 miles across. I suppose you could live anywhere near a job in a metro area. All you need is groceries and a job.

Metro transport is available in all the majors.

So, to answer your broad question ... any city is the best! There's just not that much difference for your needs.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:49 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,374,853 times
You're going to want a car in Texas.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:17 PM

443 posts, read 1,340,130 times
I'd say Austin has the most to offer for those not wanting a car but wanting the "big city" feel. I believe their new metro rail just started last week or is getting ready to start and that will enable you to travel around town and out to some of the burbs very easily and cheaply. I have several friends that live downtown adn they can walk to grocery stores, clothing stores, movies, some elem/high schools, get the bus to the airport etc. Austin's downtown is a walkable core and has a more upscale feel on the whole when compared to Houston/Dallas or San Antone...the university helps with this (lots of young, well educated, well paid people).

You can always rent a car for <100 bucks on the weekends if you want to get out of town. Much cheaper than paying a monthly car payment, gas and insurance if you can get away with it.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,583,942 times
Austin does not have the most to offer for those not wanting a car. Our rail line is currently a joke because it's still not running and it will only go out to one suburb (Leander). Dallas has the best transit from what I hear. It has tracks running to several areas, not just one and you also have bus or cab options. Houston would be next best as it has rail, bus and cab but the rail system isn't quite as extensive as Dallas. Austin has bus service and cabs that mainly only service downtown.

Houston and Dallas have Universities too. When I lived in Houston I was in Rice Village, walking distance from Rice University, grocery store, bars and clubs, restaurants, shopping, gymn, etc...My middle sister lives near lower greenville in Dallas and is also walking distance to similar things.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:45 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,590,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Austin does not have the most to offer for those not wanting a car. Our rail line is currently a joke because it's still not running and it will only go out to one suburb (Leander). Dallas has the best transit from what I hear. It has tracks running to several areas, not just one and you also have bus or cab options. Houston would be next best as it has rail, bus and cab but the rail system isn't quite as extensive as Dallas. Austin has bus service and cabs that mainly only service downtown.

Houston and Dallas have Universities too. When I lived in Houston I was in Rice Village, walking distance from Rice University, grocery store, bars and clubs, restaurants, shopping, gymn, etc...My middle sister lives near lower greenville in Dallas and is also walking distance to similar things.
^^^What he said.

Dallas has the best transit system and alot of things you can walk to without a car. Austin has alot of things that you can walk to without a car. Houston has the best climate (in my opinion, its the most tropical) and if you live in Midtown, there are alot of things you can walk to.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:44 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,851,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmela432 View Post
Me again,
So which city in Texas does everyone thing is best for a non married, no children, gal? Which has best transportation, weather, areas where you can walk to everything if you dont want a car?????????
If you don't mind me asking, what is your age? Austin has a lot of walkable areas in town, but its also a very liberal college town & the population is young...early 20's to early 30's crowd mostly.

Dallas & Houston is where UT college grads usually end up for the better jobs. Austin's job market is tight & limited. RN's there get paid diddly squat as opposed to Houston where they make an average of around 50k per year fresh out of nursing school. You won't get that same "big city vibe" in Austin as you do in Houston or Dallas...the diversity & culture is just not there.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:31 PM

52 posts, read 131,659 times
Metro Matt,
Im almost 28 yrs old. Im living in Oregon now, I do have a car that I may drive to Texas in, But I was just thinking if I lived in an area where I didnt have to drive if I didnt have to that would be best.
But, it sounds like I need to drive if I live in Texas.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:51 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,851,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmela432 View Post
Metro Matt,
Im almost 28 yrs old. Im living in Oregon now, I do have a car that I may drive to Texas in, But I was just thinking if I lived in an area where I didnt have to drive if I didnt have to that would be best.
But, it sounds like I need to drive if I live in Texas.
Well in Austin you have the option to bike or walk if you live near downtown or the college campus only.

Dallas you have DART's light rail which takes you to Plano, Richardson, Garland, Carrollton, & now South Dallas. There is also the Trinity Railway Express which will take you from DT Dallas to DT Fort Worth with a stop or two in the mid cities area.

In Houston you're more limited (right now anyways) unless you live near or work in the Med Center or Downtown you have the option to ride the small, but expanding Metro Light Rail line. Metro goes all over Houston, but honestly being a young woman I wouldn't suggest riding that bus.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:52 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,148,775 times
A city where you can find a good job that pays the bills....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas