Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 03:52 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,000,109 times

Advertisements

This thread is for developments in/around Odessa, TX.

Chimeny Rock Center (tenants include Best Buy, Academy Sports & Outdoors, PetCo, and CiCi's Pizza) will be built at the intersection of Loop 338 and 42nd St across from the UTPB ball fields.

PetSmart is opening a new location at the intersection of Grandview and 42nd.

UTPB is building the $89 million Wagner Noel Performing Arts Center off HWY 191 and FM 1788 near the Midland International Airport. The 10-story facility will feature an 1,800 seat auditorium and a smaller auditorium and should open in 2012.

Last edited by Debsi; 03-23-2013 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 04:30 PM

A 4-story La Quinta is being built at HWY 191 and Faudree Rd.

A Hilton Garden Inn is finishing construction on JBS Parkway.

A Super 8 is also under construction on I-20.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:43 PM

Odessa Corners is a large new shopping center planned for the intersection of JBS Pkwy and 52nd St. Rumored tenants may include Outback and Olive Garden.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:15 PM

381 posts, read 1,662,606 times
Burlington Coat Factory coming to Music City Mall in the old Mervyns space. That auditorium sounds like a great addition. We just saw Sesame Street Live at Ector Co. Colliseum and it was great---I'd go to more shows like that for the kids!

Pam

Old 12-17-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammybear View Post
Burlington Coat Factory coming to Music City Mall in the old Mervyns space.
It is about time Odessa finally landed something before Midland got it! They are opening in March 2010 and will employ at least 70 people.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:55 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,778,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
It is about time Odessa finally landed something before Midland got it! They are opening in March 2010 and will employ at least 70 people.
Too funny. I always thought that Odessa ended up with it all....they got UTPB and a big mall first (if memory serves me correctly on the last).

The first mall became Music City mall (has the rink, right?) and then Permain Mall was built.

Permian Mall puts Midland Park Mall to shame, and always has.

I preferred Midland for living and Odessa for the rare shopping!

It's amazing how much growth has occurred in only a little over 2 years since I left. If I ever go back, I want to see what they did with HEB. They were remodeling it when I left.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Too funny. I always thought that Odessa ended up with it all....they got UTPB and a big mall first (if memory serves me correctly on the last).

The first mall became Music City mall (has the rink, right?) and then Permain Mall was built.

Permian Mall puts Midland Park Mall to shame, and always has.

I preferred Midland for living and Odessa for the rare shopping!

It's amazing how much growth has occurred in only a little over 2 years since I left. If I ever go back, I want to see what they did with HEB. They were remodeling it when I left.
The old mall was located where HEB and Target are now. Music City Mall is the "new" mall. It does have an ice skating rink, but it is a dump. Many of the stores are closed. CBS7 takes up an entire wing of the mall.

What is Permain Mall? They built a shopping center behind the mall, but it only includes a Lowe's and a hotel for now.

UTPB is NOT a major university. It is smaller than Odessa College and Midland College.

Midland Park Mall is larger and has all the stores you find in big cities. HEB just expanded their store in Midland.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:36 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,778,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
The old mall was located where HEB and Target are now. Music City Mall is the "new" mall. It does have an ice skating rink, but it is a dump. Many of the stores are closed. CBS7 takes up an entire wing of the mall.

What is Permain Mall? They built a shopping center behind the mall, but it only includes a Lowe's and a hotel for now.

UTPB is NOT a major university. It is smaller than Odessa College and Midland College.

Midland Park Mall is larger and has all the stores you find in big cities. HEB just expanded their store in Midland.
Now I'm VERY confused. Permian Mall no longer exists? I hadn't been over to Odessa for awhile before I left, but I remember Permian being much larger than Midland Park. No? They built a shopping center behind WHAT mall?

What was Music City Mall when I left had the rink/Odessa Jackalopes venue. That was the first big mall built in Odessa. I cannot remember the year.

If UTPB is smaller than Odessa/Midland College, it's probably because of cost and stiffer requirements. I worked on my MBA at UTPB, but quit because my job transferred me to the field twice, and I never did go back and finish.

When I left (Aug 2007 after 30 years in Midland), Midland Park Mall was nothing to write home about. They had a lot of store closings at that time.

I miss HEB like crazy, along with Tampico's Spanish Inn...and my vets at Shannon.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:41 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,264,703 times
The first mall in Odessa, as far as I know, was Winwood mall. It was where HEB and Target are now. Later Permian mall was built and was eventually renamed Music City Mall. The new shopping center behind MCM is called MCM Plaza and is intended to house more upscale shopping than MCM itself since MCM does cater to a lower socio-economic demographic than Midland Park Mall, but as of now there is only a Lowe's there. There was also a plan to build and elevated walkway from MCM Plaza to MCM that would cross over a new street built in the parking lot of MCM called MCM Promenade.

It should not be surprising that UTPB is smaller than Midland and Odessa Colleges since it is a university as opposed to a community college, similar to the way that there are more high school students in the area than college students. But UTPB is growing, the housing out there is pretty nice, I would have loved to live in something like the apartments at UTPB when I was in College. There is also construction going on at UTPB right now, I think it is a new science building. The new performing arts center is also part of UTPB and is actually in Midland. It is being built just east of 1788 and south of 191( the map above shows it in the wrong location west of 1788 and north of 191), generally anything east of 1788 is considered Midland and anything west of it is considered Odessa, but either way it is in Midland county and will soon be in Midland proper once the city annexes all the land along 191 to 1788.

P.S. I was curious as to which mall is actually larger. According to the MCM homepage, it is the largest mall in Texas between Ft. Worth and El Paso. Here is a map. http://www.musiccitymall.net/leasing_site_plan.php

I haven't found the square footage of MCM yet, but Midland Park Mall is 618,00 sqft.

P.P.S. Okay it seems MCM is larger at 750,000 sqft.

Last edited by Lucidus; 12-17-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 12-18-2009, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
The first mall in Odessa, as far as I know, was Winwood mall. It was where HEB and Target are now. Later Permian mall was built and was eventually renamed Music City Mall. The new shopping center behind MCM is called MCM Plaza and is intended to house more upscale shopping than MCM itself since MCM does cater to a lower socio-economic demographic than Midland Park Mall, but as of now there is only a Lowe's there. There was also a plan to build and elevated walkway from MCM Plaza to MCM that would cross over a new street built in the parking lot of MCM called MCM Promenade.

It should not be surprising that UTPB is smaller than Midland and Odessa Colleges since it is a university as opposed to a community college, similar to the way that there are more high school students in the area than college students. But UTPB is growing, the housing out there is pretty nice, I would have loved to live in something like the apartments at UTPB when I was in College. There is also construction going on at UTPB right now, I think it is a new science building. The new performing arts center is also part of UTPB and is actually in Midland. It is being built just east of 1788 and south of 191( the map above shows it in the wrong location west of 1788 and north of 191), generally anything east of 1788 is considered Midland and anything west of it is considered Odessa, but either way it is in Midland county and will soon be in Midland proper once the city annexes all the land along 191 to 1788.

P.S. I was curious as to which mall is actually larger. According to the MCM homepage, it is the largest mall in Texas between Ft. Worth and El Paso. Here is a map. Music City Mall - Odessa, Texas

I haven't found the square footage of MCM yet, but Midland Park Mall is 618,00 sqft.

P.P.S. Okay it seems MCM is larger at 750,000 sqft.
MCM is larger, but consider that the ice rink, movie theater, and CBS 7 take up a lot of square footage in the mall. There is also a lot of empty store space in Music City Mall. Even the Chick-fil-A closed down!

Midland Park Mall includes typical stores like Aeropostale, Abercrombie & Fitch, Charlotte Russe, Coach, Hollister, James Avery, Hot Topic, Old Navy, Victoria's Secret, etc.

Hopefully Burlington will help turn MCM around and land some more tenants. That mall is in dire need of more stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas