Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 05:05 PM

14 posts, read 57,814 times

Advertisements

Hey, I am from a larger city and will be moving to west Texas for a job. The two towns that are close to my job are Andrews and Seminole. I know it will be culture shock but fortunately Andrews is close to Odessa/Midland and Seminole is fairly close to Lubbock. Any opinions on these towns would be great, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 06:16 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,000,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick88 View Post
Hey, I am from a larger city and will be moving to west Texas for a job. The two towns that are close to my job are Andrews and Seminole. I know it will be culture shock but fortunately Andrews is close to Odessa/Midland and Seminole is fairly close to Lubbock. Any opinions on these towns would be great, thanks!
Go with Andrews. It is only a 30 minute drive from Midland and Odessa. Seminole is over an hour from Lubbock. Andrews is quite a bit larger than Seminole and offers a lot more.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,778,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Go with Andrews. It is only a 30 minute drive from Midland and Odessa. Seminole is over an hour from Lubbock. Andrews is quite a bit larger than Seminole and offers a lot more.
Even though the only way to find out is to visit both towns, I very much agree with your assessment. I've always liked Andrews.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:09 PM

14 posts, read 57,814 times
Thanks for the responses, sounds like Andrews is a better bet.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:48 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,000,109 times
Andrews ISD - AISD Videos (http://www.andrews.esc18.net/aisd_videos.htm - broken link)

If you have any kids that will be in the school system feel free to get in contact with their future teachers and principals. They will be glad to help you figure out everything!

Old 12-30-2010, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,278 times
Wink Andrews vs. Seminole

Patrick: I lived in Andrews in 1980-1986 when the oil was booming and I was right out of college. Coming from Arkansas with trees and streams and mountains; this was omg-what have I done now accepting this job versus Houston, TX around Nasa??? During those 6 years I drove a lot to the county line as Andrews, TX is the ONLY city in ANDREWS COUNTY! So to this day 30 years later I have purchased alcohol and any sizeable non-alcoholic beverages in bulk in fear of running out when guests are at your home. So having made that run to the county line which is about 32 miles one-two times; you learn to stock up in larger quantities and I don't even drink; I was merely accommodating guests that do!!!

I met a wonderful man from Amoco, BP and married him, unfortunately he was killed in an airplane crash at the end of the runway and I found everybody came out of the woodwork to be a support system. I was eventually transferred to Phoenix, AZ a much larger city where there is so much to do and I believe preparing me for the next bigger 'desert' terrain. People are always very cordial in West Texas whether you pick Seminole or Andrews, but driving to the airport towards Big Spring and going through the back way you will find you can easily get "out of town" to the airport in 45 minutes to an hour. Seminole is another 28 miles and that would be an hour and a half; plus the restaurants in both Odessa and Midland are far better than driving North from Seminole a GOOD HOUR to Lubbock and not the same as Midland/Odessa. This is less than an hour. I found that it taught me right out of college to appreciate 'home'; where ever you land you can make the most out of life. And it has the Mustangs where oil funds their school system so if you have children A++++ for Andrews schools. I never had any but if I did, I'd known they would have received an excellent education in Andrews.

Go to La Bodega Mexican Restaurant; they have one in Odessa and one in Midland; I get the chili reyanno and only a half order. It used to have sour cream, raisins, and nuts on top and it was so tremendously grand. I have friends also in Midland and my husband and I were married in Midland at St. Anne's Catholic Church. We enjoyed Fr. Cliff there as the priest in Andrews wanted me to marry a Catholic and couldn't find one so I found the love of my life and have never remarried just fond memories of ANDREWS Texas....I wouldn't have traded that opportunity for a million dollars. You will be homebodies; save a lot of money from your job; real estate is reasonable and be able to either travel or save as you don't need to go far--10 miles radius to get around in Andrews. There is a pretty little lake for remote control boats only, but a great walk on a pretty day. Folks are really nice there even through the oil boom and drying up of the wells. Hopefully you can enjoy Andrews and have a future there like I will always cherish. I communicated just yesterday to the Kuehler's whom were are best friends and they since have moved to Katy, TX; suburb of Houston. We communicate via e-mail and once a year Christmas card/letter....and that was 27 years ago...friends are forever once you live in Andrews, Texas!!!!!
Janelle Wright

Old 08-30-2013, 10:08 AM

10 posts, read 24,398 times
I know this thread is several years old, but I thought I would give it a fresh perspective. My husband and I have recently moved here from the Gulf Coast area of Alabama, so all of West Texas is a bit of a culture shock, as you can imagine. My husband got a job as a field mechanic for a company that does oil field work. We originally lived in Gardendale and I hated it. He changed companies and we had the option of moving to Andrews or Seminole.

I spent some time in both towns before deciding on Seminole. I LOVE Seminole, but I am a small-town girl who doesn't have to have big city amenities. The people are exceptionally friendly. All of them have gone out of their way to help when called on. It is small, easy to navigate, and even has a WalMart (which Andrews doesn't have).

We are between Lubbock and Midland/Odessa. Not to diss the M/O area because we like it, too, but we like Lubbock a little better and it is a shorter distance to Lubbock from Seminole than from Andrews. As a plus, or negative, depending on your outlook, we are only 25 minutes from Hobbs, NM. Hobbs has a little more to offer than Seminole and we can find almost anything we require there. The road is straight, mutli-laned and not too much traffic. It makes getting there short and easy.

There is a large Mennonite community in Seminole. You can find them everywhere, including WalMart, the dollar stores, the restaurants, etc. They wear their quaint clothing and speak German. I LOVE this! Having them here does make the town very conservative. Not a problem for us. If we want beer or wine, we zip over to Hobbs and get some. Or we stock up on one of our jaunts to Lubbock or M/O. We think it is a small price to pay for low crime, low housing costs (better even than Andrews) and excellent small town living.

We used to kayak and canoe in the bays of the Gulf, so we do miss our water sports, but have found wonderful substitutes in desert exploration. (See my post in the Anything Worth Doing in West TX thread).

All in all, we couldn't be happier about our choice of Seminole over Andrews.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:11 AM

10 posts, read 24,398 times
Default Love Seminole

I know this thread is several years old, but I thought I would give it a fresh perspective. My husband and I have recently moved here from the Gulf Coast area of Alabama, so all of West Texas is a bit of a culture shock, as you can imagine. My husband got a job as a field mechanic for a company that does oil field work. We originally lived in Gardendale and I hated it. He changed companies and we had the option of moving to Andrews or Seminole.

I spent some time in both towns before deciding on Seminole. I LOVE Seminole, but I am a small-town girl who doesn't have to have big city amenities. The people are exceptionally friendly. All of them have gone out of their way to help when called on. It is small, easy to navigate, and even has a WalMart (which Andrews doesn't have).

We are between Lubbock and Midland/Odessa. Not to diss the M/O area because we like it, too, but we like Lubbock a little better and it is a shorter distance to Lubbock from Seminole than from Andrews. As a plus, or negative, depending on your outlook, we are only 25 minutes from Hobbs, NM. Hobbs has a little more to offer than Seminole and we can find almost anything we require there. The road is straight, mutli-laned and not too much traffic. It makes getting there short and easy.

There is a large Mennonite community in Seminole. You can find them everywhere, including WalMart, the dollar stores, the restaurants, etc. They wear their quaint clothing and speak German. I LOVE this! Having them here does make the town very conservative. Not a problem for us. If we want beer or wine, we zip over to Hobbs and get some. Or we stock up on one of our jaunts to Lubbock or M/O. We think it is a small price to pay for low crime, low housing costs (better even than Andrews) and excellent small town living.

We used to kayak and canoe in the bays of the Gulf, so we do miss our water sports, but have found wonderful substitutes in desert exploration. (See my post in the Anything Worth Doing in West TX thread).

Old 08-30-2013, 10:17 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,778,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte4Lady View Post
I know this thread is several years old, but I thought I would give it a fresh perspective. My husband and I have recently moved here from the Gulf Coast area of Alabama, so all of West Texas is a bit of a culture shock, as you can imagine.....

There is a large Mennonite community in Seminole. You can find them everywhere, including WalMart, the dollar stores, the restaurants, etc. They wear their quaint clothing and speak German.

Very interesting perspective! I haven't been to Seminole for a long time, and I had no idea that there was a large group of Mennonites there.

I have no doubt that WT is indeed a culture shock for someone from the deep south, but I'm glad it worked out well for y'all!

Old 08-30-2013, 03:24 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,928,911 times
I would not want to live in either town lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas