Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,135 times

Advertisements

my daughters mother is moving to del rio with my daughter. im not to happy about it. so i ask whats it like schools, hospitals, crime and just eveything else??? we are just worried that she wont get the same education as she would here. so your help would be great... thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 10:59 PM

18,039 posts, read 25,052,276 times
I don't know much about it...
but I drove to Del Rio, TX and crossed to Ciudad Acuña (Mexico) with my wife and kids.
I chose that city because I was told that it is the safest place border town in Texas & Mexico.

I believe Del Rio is very touristy because of "Amistad Dam"
there's even been fishing competitions shown on ESPN from there.

From the little that I know, you don't have to worry about anything.
BTW, south of there, it's pretty much a desert (a lot of nothing) on the mexican side.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:08 PM

11,816 posts, read 26,650,028 times
My in-laws live in Del Rio, and my husband grew up there, so I know a little about the place.

Del Rio is a small town of 10,000 people. The cost of living is pretty low, and unemployment is high. There is little shopping besides a WalMart Supercenter and JC Penney's at the mall. The only chain restaurants are a Chili's, Whataburger, and McDonalds. Del Rio has one hospital, Val Verde Medical Center, that is not very well-regarded. Most people go to San Angelo or San Antonio for better medical care. (Both are about 2.5 hours away.)

Public schools in Del Rio are OK, but they cater heavily to the English as a second language and migrant farmworkers' kids. Many parents send their kids to St. James Episcopal School for the elementary years, then to public school (no other option) for secondary.

Being a border town, Del Rio has a lot of crime. Most of it is drug related, such as smuggling. There are also fair amounts of burglaries and auto thefts. Violent crime, such as murder, happens occasionally and is usually drug related.

WHY is she moving to Del Rio? Is she a federal employee? Railroad employee? Honestly, there isn't much industry there otherwise...it's not somewhere you end up by accident.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,941,720 times
I spent the night in Del Rio once on the way back from west Texas. It's a city of about 45,000, according to online sources. It seemed a bit nicer than Laredo, the nearest major city on the border, but it's also a much smaller city. Ciudad Acuna, the sister city Dopo mentioned, is almost 3x as large by population.

If you're used to a bigger city, you'd probably find Del Rio to be kind of sleepy. FWIW, I didn't see anything during my half-day and overnight visit that would make me not want to live there. Also, it's part of the San Antonio TV market, so if there was bad news there, we'd hear about it on the news in San Antonio. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a story on the local news from Del Rio. That's very unlike Laredo, where violence across the border makes the news in San Antonio a few times a month.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:58 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,778,756 times
Del Rio, according to the 2008-2009 Texas Almanac, has a population of over 36,000.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Del Rio, according to the 2008-2009 Texas Almanac, has a population of over 36,000.
I'll have to tell my husband! He always swears it is just 10,000. I guess that was the population when he was growing up in the 80s!!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:45 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,524,293 times
According to Del Rio's City Data page, it has pretty low crime rate compared to the US average.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:07 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,778,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I'll have to tell my husband! He always swears it is just 10,000. I guess that was the population when he was growing up in the 80s!!
LOL!! It has grown a tad since then......

I can't remember when the growth really started, but I don't think it has been as low as 10,000 since the 1960s.

Val Verde county as a whole has over 48,000--hard to believe!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,135 times
shes movin cause her stepfather got a borderpatrol job. shes only 8.she still has her whole life togo. its just gonna be a culture change. im just so worried about the area. i keep reading bad thing about the area. we come from s. jersey right outside of phila a really n ice middle class town. her mother insist on taking her with her. they have 2 young girls of thier own and im sort of worried for them too. i dont know im tryin to keep her here. i think thats best for her

Old 12-13-2009, 08:50 PM

Border Patrol explains it. Del Rio has a sector HQ and a large % of the town is BP. The good thing is that he will be getting a good salary and they won't have to live in the bad parts of town. Yes, it will be a HUGE culture change. As long as the parents are involved in the school, the girls can get a good education in public school. And, even better, they might end up being bilingual!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas