Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:24 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,207,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Having lived through this as a child, every resident of Dallas I knew was horrified at the acts of Oswald and Ruby. A lot of us still feel the pain of that day.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I was in Dallas, in class, and I remember the horror and tears and pain of that day, on the part of every single person I knew, well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 11:23 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,022,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
While I agree with your first point, I dont think people view Texas as conservative because of the JFK assasination. People view it as conservative because for the most part, it is. However the parts of Texas that arent conservative get caught up in the stereotype.
At a national level I don't think any of Texas' reputation is related to JFK's assasination. That was 46 years ago and entire generations have grown up since then.

Texas' rep today is still based on stereotypes and more recent political figures such as George W. Bush.

The recent economic downturn has driven new attention to Texas' relative good financial condition. Texas is frequently compared to California, another large state, with a much different reputation (not necessarily accurate either).

I think the new Houston mayor just proves that among the candidates - Houston voters chose the better candidate. I doubt many voted for her because of her sexuality while I suspect many voted against her for that reason. But in the end - her qualifications compared to her opponents created a win. Good for her and I hope she is a success.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:31 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,794,086 times
Lets get back to the OP comment...

Old 12-15-2009, 01:40 PM

634 posts, read 1,443,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Couple of things. First, the gay folks that I know that live in the Austin area are happy here because they are considered just like anyone else, they're just people like everyone else, and so the size of the gay community here is a bit harder to detect for that reason. We don't expect people, just because they're gay, to "flaunt it" any more than we expect people to have "Heterosexual Pride" parades - it's really none of our business, when you get right down to it. What's more important is what kind of neighbors, employees/employers, friends, they are - or what kind of public officials.

Second, yes, absolutely YES, to your last sentence, which applies to Texas, not just Houston.

Third, curiousity demands, what do you mean by "vibrant"?

There IS a reason that the largest city in America to elect an openly gay mayor is in Texas. That's it.

Houston is actually the fourth largest city in America . . .

List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But whatevs.

My answer: No. Texas is not moving to the left. I don't think Houston gets a lot of the credit it deserves for being a truly, global, cosmopolitan region. It might be a planner's nightmare in terms of its size, but otherwise, Houston's decision to elect an openly gay mayor is not really something from which one can extrapolate a change in the overall political climate in Texas. What's more I just read that the turnout for the runoff was around 16%.

A word about turnout | Houston Politics | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

I think you would be hard-pressed to argue that this is evidence for a new era in Texas politics.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,091,204 times
I don't think Texas is moving to the left very much (if at all). But it is heartening to see that the best candidate won in spite of her sexuality. Perhaps it shows an increase in rationality in Texas politics.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:42 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,502,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
Houston is actually the fourth largest city in America . . .

List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But whatevs.
Not to be rude, but you misread TexasHorseLady´s post. She knows Houston is not the largest city in America. She stated that Houston is the largest American city to elect an openly gay person.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:49 PM

634 posts, read 1,443,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Not to be rude, but you misread TexasHorseLady´s post. She knows Houston is not the largest city in America. She stated that Houston is the largest American city to elect an openly gay person.
I've never heard of someone on CD apologizing for being rude when they're not being rude. You weren't being rude. I have reread the post and just wonder if perhaps it couldn't have been worded a bit differently. Either way, I may need to rethink my view of humanity.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:23 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,344,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I don't think Texas is moving to the left very much (if at all). But it is heartening to see that the best candidate won in spite of her sexuality. Perhaps it shows an increase in rationality in Texas politics.
Yep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas