Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 02:21 PM

30 posts, read 124,844 times

Advertisements

Hello! Just recently found out my wife and I may be making a move to Midland. I've been to Midland, but it's hard to get a feel for where the best places to live are when you are staying in a hotel for business. I would appreciate people's thoughts on neighborhoods. Schools are not an issue - no children.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 03:25 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,002,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CadillacRF View Post
Hello! Just recently found out my wife and I may be making a move to Midland. I've been to Midland, but it's hard to get a feel for where the best places to live are when you are staying in a hotel for business. I would appreciate people's thoughts on neighborhoods. Schools are not an issue - no children.

Thanks!
Anything on Loop 250 or around the North side you should enjoy.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:10 PM

382 posts, read 1,663,395 times
I agree. If you let us know what you are looking for, we can probably narrow it down a bit more--do you want a golf course? community pool? By the way welcome!

Pam

Old 12-19-2009, 10:27 AM

Thanks for offering to help and sorry for the delay in response!

We're looking for the typical ranch house. 2000-2500 square feet, $250-$300K price range, old or new is fine. I realize that is most of Midland, but some blocks are better than others. We don't really care about view so much, but a community pool would be a major plus in my wife's eyes.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:33 AM

Briarwood has a nice community pool (It's right off North Midland Dr.) and the Woodlands off "A" street also has a fabulous pool and lake with trees and walking path. We live in Green Tree but the country club is too expensive for us! We like the neighborhood but we can't use the pool since we aren't members. My kids are still young though and taking lessons so we just go to the YMCA or COM aquatics. Good luck with your move!

Pam

Old 02-01-2010, 01:09 PM

43 posts, read 169,334 times
Default GreatHouse

I live in the GreatHouse addition and I like it very much. It is above Grasslands and below Greentree. I WONDER WHERE YOU WOUND UP? (Since this was an older thread)
Our pool is rather small in my opinion. We will be building a park in the future.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:19 AM

Well, I will see if this thread is still active. It is official!! We will be moving to Midland, TX sometime during April or early May!

Since starting this thread, I have done a lot of research on the different types of housing and the neighborhoods in town. It looks as if most of what we like is in the 79705 and 79707 zip codes.

Thing is, there are so many options that it's hard to decide. Most of the homes appear to be relatively expensive for TX, creeping up toward $300K now. Some are 2 years old, some are under construction, others are 40 years old! So, it begs the question, what is the best choice for buying in Midland? Are the new houses where the city is going and that is the best choice, or are the older neighborhoods inside the loop very desirable and an older home is a great choice? Does it even matter?

Also, it appears that Midland housing has spiked nearly 40% in just 3 years or so. Is that the case? Are homes there overpriced and we are looking at a bust in 2 years and so run the risk of being very upside down on mortgage vs. value? Some insight would be great!

Thanks to anyone who picks up this thread again!

Old 03-24-2010, 02:48 PM

33 posts, read 84,844 times
!!!!!odessa!!!!!

Old 03-26-2010, 02:42 AM

43 posts, read 169,334 times
Personally I think when you compare what your dollar will buy in Midland compared to what your dollar will buy outside of say Dallas, housing is expensive in Midland for sure. There is a huge difference in houses under $300 and houses $300+ here. I am not sure why that seems to be the breaking point but it really is for the "new-ish" houses. There are a few deals here and there but they are still not so great when you compare them to the rest of the country. There are some beautiful older homes in Midland in beautiful neighborhoods but this is not like other cities where it is more desirable to live inside the loop. It is not undesirable either, it is just a matter of preference. Like everywhere you lose trees and large bedrooms rooms when you buy newer homes but you typically get more sunshine and spacious kitchen/living areas and in some cases, three car garages! (of course I am basically talking about the $300 price range)
Some deals are to be had to take the time and look at the "For Sale By Owners" Just logic when you tack on the 6% to a $300 thousand dollar house, someone has to pay that 18,000! Just sayin'...
title companies are "neutral"
The HOA fees in Midland are very reasonable. Of course you can be the judge if you think you get anything for it.
The good news....it is certainly more of a buyers market than it was two years ago!

Old 03-27-2010, 05:56 AM

Default Us

three years ago, my dh moved ahead of us and everytime he looked at a house it was gone that weekend. He finally found someone else with kids who wanted to close in June (same time I would be coming with the kids) so they liked our offer the best--we paid asking price and willing to close in summer. Now I notice the houses are moving much more slowly but they are moving. If it's been on the market awhile, you can definitely negotiate. Rumor has it that Apache oil is moving many new families to the area and they will be needing houses but I'm sure they have to sell a house somewhere else then. If you really like something, make an offer is my advice and don't be afraid to bid low, and allow yourself some wiggle room! I live outside the loop and we do plan to move into a bigger house some day, it will be inside the loop because that's where all the kids' activities seem to be but we are only talking a few miles so it's not really that inconvenient to live outside the loop!! Welcome!
Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas