Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 06:29 PM

3 posts, read 7,967 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I'm Fall of 2010 I plan to transfer to a university, right now I am at a community college getting my basics done. I want to major in Math or IS with a concentration on EC-6 or 4-8 grade math, I don't really want to teach secondary. I have been looking at a lot of schools and I'm not sure which one to choose. I don't want to go to a poorly ranked school but I don't need to go to a top tier. I don't want a boring school (like UTD) but I don't need an off-the-wall party school. I'm black so I don't want a racist school (heard too many bad things about Texas A&M & UNT), but I live in The Woodlands (very rich white suburbia) so I am comfortable, fine, open-minded to a majority of white students.

So from that any suggestions? I'm willing to compromise on the partying, but I don't want to go to stiff school, I'm in college lol!!

Thanks for the help!

Erica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 07:00 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,526,176 times
I think you would be fine at either. From what I've heard, UH is one of the most diverse universities in the nation, but TT isn't too shabby either (with something like 100 nationalities represented). Both are growing in prestige, and they are the top candidates for the next Tier 1 university in Texas. It seems like UH's student body consists mostly of those from the metro, and TT has students from various Texas suburbs. If you want a more laid back lifestyle and live away from home, go with Tech. If you want to stay in the big city, go with UH. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:31 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,168,308 times
I have several friends that go to Tech, UNT, and TAMU and I haven't heard anything about racism at those schools. I think the UNT student body is pretty progressive for the most part and most of the students are from the suburbs. I can't imagine UNT having problems with racism.

Tech has become a pretty big party school. I used to go to college in Abilene and had some friends that went to school at Tech. Now a days, it seems to have the same reputation as Texas State in that people go there to party, which is sad. I believe like a year ago they almost lost accreditation for several program because of grades, or so I've heard. I think think the school is trying to turn things around though. I had the choice of going to Tech, but decided not to because of a lot of negative things I heard about the school from students there and people from Lubbock. I haven't heard anything about racism though. Even in Abilene, I don't remember racism being much an issue. I don't know about education programs, but for me, I was trying to decide on an architecture program between UH, UT Arlington, and Tech. I chose UH because of the big city environment and the architecture program. They do have several very good programs her and the school is growing in recognition by leaps and bounds. Also, it's the most racially diverse major research university in the country.

I will say that if you go to UH, the first semester will be very frustrating. All though the architecture school seems to really have its act together, I find the school itself to be very disorganized and the transfer process could have been much smoother on the schools part. Most first year students I've talked to feel the same way. It was very confusing and frustrating starting out at UH.

Another thing I've noticed at UH is that the school seems to have some very very good programs and then they also have some not so good programs. I would think Tech would be the same way. I would talk to people from both schools who have gotten and education degree and see what they have to say.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:48 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,526,176 times
^^^ The accreditation issue happened because the officials accidentally turned in a few papers late. There was never anything to "turn around". Tech bashers have really blown that out of proportion.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,967 times
Thanks for all the feedback!! I'll definitely be looking in to UH more now because I have heard of the growing recognition, and I'll look more into TTU.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:54 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,168,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
^^^ The accreditation issue happened because the officials accidentally turned in a few papers late. There was never anything to "turn around". Tech bashers have really blown that out of proportion.
It was just a rummer I heard. I never went to school at Tech. My friend who told me that was from Lubbock so naturally I assumed it was true.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:21 PM

8,746 posts, read 8,989,954 times
I went to Tech and loved it there. As far as it being a "party school", that's generally very true!...LOL. I had a great time when I was there but I also think I received a good education. As far as racism goes, I never noticed or heard of any problems with that at Tech while I was there. From what I've heard, UH is a very good university as well so I really don't think you could go wrong with either university. Like someone said above, it probably just comes down to your preference as far as living in a large metro area vs. a mid-sized city like Lubbock. If you haven't already been to the Tech campus I would encourage you to make the trip to Lubbock and check it out for yourself and meet with some of the orientation counselors for prospective students before you decide. Good luck!

Old 12-14-2009, 03:46 PM

13,715 posts, read 30,999,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2012 View Post
Hello all,
I'm Fall of 2010 I plan to transfer to a university, right now I am at a community college getting my basics done. I want to major in Math or IS with a concentration on EC-6 or 4-8 grade math, I don't really want to teach secondary. I have been looking at a lot of schools and I'm not sure which one to choose. I don't want to go to a poorly ranked school but I don't need to go to a top tier. I don't want a boring school (like UTD) but I don't need an off-the-wall party school. I'm black so I don't want a racist school (heard too many bad things about Texas A&M & UNT), but I live in The Woodlands (very rich white suburbia) so I am comfortable, fine, open-minded to a majority of white students.

So from that any suggestions? I'm willing to compromise on the partying, but I don't want to go to stiff school, I'm in college lol!!

Thanks for the help!

Erica
Erica - There are many misconceptions about Texas A&M. It has an undeniably conservative history and its student body tends to be conservative. But it is not racist, the student body is not racist, and it is working hard to attract African American students. If you are comfortable in the Woodlands I can't imagine you would not be comfortable at A&M.

Obama recently visited A&M and contrary to what many expected - he was warmly received regardless of how people voted in the last election.

As an A&M graduate - I would be pleased if you would consider A&M seriously for its great qualities. Perhaps the information at the link below would be useful:

Diversity at Texas A&M University (http://www.tamu.edu/home/aboutam/diversity.html - broken link)

Old 12-15-2009, 12:21 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,079,672 times
Ditto for UNT. I received three degrees there and never observed any racism at all. There is a very diverse population there.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:28 PM

634 posts, read 1,442,250 times
I had actually heard the opposite from friends who attended UNT (i.e. that it's in fact a very diverse, welcoming school). One studied sociology, the other studied in the music school.

I think A&M's a tradition rich, proud school, but that's not a bad thing. And seeing as how it's kind of in the middle of nowhere, the emphasis on all-things A&M possibly gives the appearance of a cult-like rigidity (but there's plenty of that here in Austin also), but I don't know that I've heard too many racist things about it. I know an African woman adopted by a family here in Texas who was in the Corps of Cadets (she's now an officer in the Army) and speaks very proudly of her time at Texas A&M.

Schools will have all types. It always seems that at least once a semester you read about dumb kids (in Greek organizations, social organizations, what have you, and yes unfortunately, more often than not the kids are white--though bad choices know no race) having "Vato Parties" and dressing up as pregnant Latina teenagers, or in black face, but those are a small population of the place, and they're usually not reflective of a university. Or so I hope.

I think UH and TTU have an opportunity to become real players on Texas's higher education scene. Their reputations appear to be on the rise and hopefully that can translate into good news for the State of Texas as this state really needs to make an effort to invest in its other universities outside of UT and A&M, and I say that as a UT graduate. And well, they're making strides on the gridiron, which for better or worse, appears the fastest way to the legislature's heart.

Have you visited both schools? I think it's important to get a feel for the campus and its environment. You're going to be spending a good amount of time (and money!) there, so you want it to feel like a second home.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas