Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 02:24 PM

30 posts, read 84,296 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I am from MN and am looking to move somewhere to start a business. I was wondering if someone can fill me in on the weather throughout TX. I realize this is a vary big topic as TX is so big, however just in general. Is there a certain part of TX that doesn't get as hot, is relatively nice, has some sort of green plant life, and isn't scalding hot year round? Heat is fine, it is the humidity that kills me. Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 02:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,426,048 times
El Paso has the best weather in Texas. There are even 4 seasons in El Paso, very low humidity, very comfortable and there is some green life too.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:42 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,352,552 times
Not to be overly rude, but don't we already have 314,567 threads on this topic?

And I love it when people want to know what part of Texas isn't hot. It's Texas. It's all hot. And pretty much all humid, too. Some places aren't as hot, but pretty much everywhere will be pretty damn hot for a good chunk of the year.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:55 PM

146 posts, read 507,318 times
[quote=getmeoutofhere;12055535]Not to be overly rude, but don't we already have 314,567 threads on this topic?

It's Texas. It's all hot. And pretty much all humid, too.

Actually there is dry heat areas too. Central Texas around & North of Austin are dry heat areas. I use to live in a small town named Hamilton,TX it got hot but it was dry heat so you did not sweat very much.

East texas is beautiful with the pine trees, it is very green but very humid. I use to live in Midland,Tx it is dry heat as well but the only green your going to find is in the city limits of Midland & Odessa. I also lived in Mineral Wells,Tx west of the metroplex, it was humid only on occasions.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:51 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,901,678 times
I would say that Lubbock fits most of your criteria. It can get brown, but it has nice small lakes in the city and bigger lakes to the southeast of town. The terrain is sort of flat, but east of town is somewhat hilly.

Summers are warm to hot (80's to 90's), but it usually cools off at night, a lot of times getting into the 60's. The humidity can be non-existent at times. Winter highs average in the 40's, while the lows usually get into the 20's.

Finally, the economy there is good, and there is a lot to do for a place its size.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,781,606 times
[quote=professorac;12058955]
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Not to be overly rude, but don't we already have 314,567 threads on this topic?

It's Texas. It's all hot. And pretty much all humid, too.

Actually there is dry heat areas too. Central Texas around & North of Austin are dry heat areas. I use to live in a small town named Hamilton,TX it got hot but it was dry heat so you did not sweat very much.

East texas is beautiful with the pine trees, it is very green but very humid. I use to live in Midland,Tx it is dry heat as well but the only green your going to find is in the city limits of Midland & Odessa. I also lived in Mineral Wells,Tx west of the metroplex, it was humid only on occasions.
Central Texas....and DRY heat in the same sentence? Beautiful country, yes......dry heat...as a rule, no. Central Texas is very humid, even with the drought conditions they had last summer.

I guess it's all relative and what you're used to.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times
[quote=Cathy4017;12059766]
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorac View Post

Central Texas....and DRY heat in the same sentence? Beautiful country, yes......dry heat...as a rule, no. Central Texas is very humid, even with the drought conditions they had last summer.

I guess it's all relative and what you're used to.
True; Central Texas is definitely more humid than dry heat. Not as bad as the Gulf Coast and East Texas though.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:32 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,148,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDC101 View Post
Hello All,
I am from MN and am looking to move somewhere to start a business. I was wondering if someone can fill me in on the weather throughout TX. I realize this is a vary big topic as TX is so big, however just in general. Is there a certain part of TX that doesn't get as hot, is relatively nice, has some sort of green plant life, and isn't scalding hot year round? Heat is fine, it is the humidity that kills me. Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you.
No such place exists...sorry. You either get humid, hot, green, lush or hot, dry , desert, plains, mountains. No real mixtures though the dry areas tend to have more of a winter. Oh and that was just discussing the climate....weather can get really fun in Texas.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:40 PM

30 posts, read 84,296 times
thanks to all who responded (some not favorably)....I can tell you with 100% certainty and confidence that I am use to extremes in weather...ND and MN are chronically bipolar when it comes to weather.....I apologize for starting a new thread regarding weather, however I am new to this....Amarillo is picked as one of citydata's top 101 cities with the lowest average humidity....also from what I understand it snows in Amarillo (which is nice)..but doesn't get to -40 below as it does up here (all too frequently)....I appreciate everyone's help and if you have more information please respond or message me privately...here we come TX

Old 12-18-2009, 12:26 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,079,672 times
The Fort Davis/Marfa/Alpine area has my favorite Texas climate, but if you need to earn a living, there isn't much in that regard, and it's a long way from anywhere else. But I certainly do like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas