Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city in Texas has the best culture/performing arts?
Dallas 7 26.92%
Fort Worth 2 7.69%
Austin 1 3.85%
Other-please comment below 16 61.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 02:03 AM

640 posts, read 1,727,384 times

Advertisements

Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 07:25 AM

52,574 posts, read 47,711,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrathwol View Post
I'm hoping to move to Texas from NYC. Fort Worth, Dallas and Austin are my preferred cities, but wondering if there any cities you can recommend. I'd love to have:
1. Weather above 30 degrees average in January
2. Decent performing arts/culture scene
3. good standard of living. (nice apartment or condo for around 600-750 a month rent, preferably in a "downtown"/ hip area)
There are other preferences, but those are my top 3. Coming from NYC, I don't want to have too much culture shock of having nothing to do on Friday night. I hear Austin is great for culture. Any other suggestions?
Houston has the best arts scene in the country, with a fantastic Arts district downtown. Dallas is second out of the Texas cities, with Fort Worth third. Austin is more known for rock and country bands and live music than they are for their fine arts.

We'd love to welcome you into Texas, but you obviously know nothing about our state since Houston wasn't included in your poll. Either you haven't heard of Houston's great fine arts scene (or the city itself), you are uninformed, or you are plain ignorant. Sorry for the rant, but please do your homework before doing a poll next time.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:23 AM

4,336 posts, read 3,537,262 times
Houston, far and away, has got the goods. I've heard a lot about Dallas' arts district area and the new things they have, but have never been there. And San Antonio has a pretty good symphony, too.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:37 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,121,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Houston - hands down. Best theatre, dance and arts scene in the State. Fort Worth has the best museum in Texas - the Kimball, but museum is the operative word. No living arts scene. Dallas has some great cultural amenities too but geared more towards the people buying culture than making it. Austin is prettier and best for film and music - as others have noted, but it remains a kinda sleepy do it yourself kinda place. Houston also has far superior restaurants (in terms of both quality and variety) to any other city in TX, though in terms of local cuisine, San Antonio has better Tex Mex and the Austin area has better BBQ. In terms of high culture, no TX city can compare to NYC, Chicago, SF, heck even Boston . . .
I would say in terms of quality, at least Houston is on par with Boston, but in terms of number of "butts in the seats" to see said quality performance, you're correct. I avoid Boston's Theater District at all costs on nights when there are multiple performances in the area.

The funny thing is that in some ways Houston is very representative of "high culture," and in some ways it is the antithesis.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:11 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,586,412 times
Houston has lots of cool little inner loop neighborhoods. I lived in Rice Village, but there is the Montrose area, The Heights, Richmond, and a few others.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:36 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,496,294 times
Housto because of its size purely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas