Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city in Texas has the best culture/performing arts?
Dallas 7 26.92%
Fort Worth 2 7.69%
Austin 1 3.85%
Other-please comment below 16 61.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,777 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to move to Texas from NYC. Fort Worth, Dallas and Austin are my preferred cities, but wondering if there any cities you can recommend. I'd love to have:
1. Weather above 30 degrees average in January
2. Decent performing arts/culture scene
3. good standard of living. (nice apartment or condo for around 600-750 a month rent, preferably in a "downtown"/ hip area)
There are other preferences, but those are my top 3. Coming from NYC, I don't want to have too much culture shock of having nothing to do on Friday night. I hear Austin is great for culture. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 12:47 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,386,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrathwol View Post
I'm hoping to move to Texas from NYC. Fort Worth, Dallas and Austin are my preferred cities, but wondering if there any cities you can recommend. I'd love to have:
3. good standard of living. (nice apartment or condo for around 600-750 a month rent, preferably in a "downtown"/ hip area)
There are other preferences, but those are my top 3. Coming from NYC, I don't want to have too much culture shock of having nothing to do on Friday night. I hear Austin is great for culture. Any other suggestions?
My brother is a very successful artist in San Antonio and SA is really come on strong in both film, music, and the performing arts in the past decade. You can't beat the weather either (if you like warming, sub-tropical weather).

Old 12-18-2009, 01:18 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrathwol View Post

Dallas and Houston are the closets you'll get to NYC culture; not Austin. Austin's a overgrown college town, but the best choice when it comes to film and music.

Houston has the Museum and Theater Districts which offers a host of world-class performances and arts. Dallas is currently finishing up the one of the largest Arts district in the country. Both are very diverse with Houston offering a bit more diversity. Both offer world-classes restaurant with a wide variety of different cuisines. Upscale shopping in both with Dallas being the Fashion Capital of Texas.

Out of your choices; I'd go with Dallas.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:17 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,579,993 times
Houston or Dallas. Austin doesn't have anything on scale with those cities or with NY. I say Houston first/Dallas 2nd, but they would almost be a match really.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:22 PM

16,087 posts, read 40,998,312 times
Dallas - you seem like a good candidate for parts of East Dallas, which is near downtown, has a high artsy and entrepreneural component with a lot of well-traveled people who live fairly inexpensively.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:53 PM

882 posts, read 2,235,381 times
The answer to the poll question is Houston, but considering that its not even on your poll reveals that you would end up choosing Dallas instead since you prefer it out of the 2. No biggie.

But Houston definitely qualifies based on your criteria, but wait-You wanted decent performing arts/cultural scene. Houston's scene is better than decent. So i guess it doesnt qualify....

Old 12-18-2009, 04:06 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,773,562 times
Other: Houston. 2nd largest theater district in the country (after NYC's) and one of the largest museum districts with almost 20 great museums within walking distance from one another. One of a handful of US cities with permanent year-round theater, ballet, symphony and opera. Ranks 3rd in the US in number of working artists, and in fine arts museum space.

Houston facts (http://www.houstonpavilions.com/office_facts.php - broken link)

You mention Austin, but truth is it has absolutely nothing on Houston outside of the music/film scene. It's done a great job marketing and hyping itself, which is probably why you "heard" what you heard.

Coming from NYC, Fort Worth and Austin would probably be the most culture shock, while Houston and Dallas would be the least (but they're all still Texas, keep in mind.)

Old 12-18-2009, 08:14 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,846,374 times
HOUSTON by far has the best cultural/performing arts scene. Its the second largest theatre district in the country after NYC. If its cultural diversity you're after, no other city in Texas or the South for that matter can beat Houston, though Dallas is not far behind, it still can't match Houston's sheer level of different races & ethnicities.

Just think of it this way...Dallas is Texas...Houston is the world.

January weather in Houston is also 5-10 degrees on average warmer than Dallas. So if its 32 degrees in Dallas, its gonna be about 42 degrees in Houston.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:05 AM

Location: Abilene/Buffalo Gap, Texas ... Moving to Cheyenne/Elk City, Oklahoma
35 posts, read 105,380 times
Excellent input so far ... all I can add is this:

1) All of those cities are going to have an above 30 degree average in any month.

2) You'll be hard-pressed to find ANY apartment or condo for around 600-750 a month rent in a downtown/ hip area.

I have lived in all areas including Houston ... grew up in DFW ... and I am fondest of the Austin area to LIVE, but love to visit the rest.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:36 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,751,574 times
Houston - hands down. Best theatre, dance and arts scene in the State. Fort Worth has the best museum in Texas - the Kimball, but museum is the operative word. No living arts scene. Dallas has some great cultural amenities too but geared more towards the people buying culture than making it. Austin is prettier and best for film and music - as others have noted, but it remains a kinda sleepy do it yourself kinda place. Houston also has far superior restaurants (in terms of both quality and variety) to any other city in TX, though in terms of local cuisine, San Antonio has better Tex Mex and the Austin area has better BBQ. In terms of high culture, no TX city can compare to NYC, Chicago, SF, heck even Boston . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas