Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 07:43 PM

5 posts, read 23,892 times

Advertisements

Hello.. My wife and I moved the Kingwood/Atascocita area a little over a year ago and we want to find a church family in which to worship with. The only issue is comfortability. There are many churches in the Kingwood & Atascocita area, much less Houston however we are an African American couple looking to find a diverse congregation that reflects our lifestyle. We're originally from New York, but have lived in northern California, and Chicago and have met friends of all different races, classes, principals, etc. We'd like to find a church we're we aren't the only two black people sprinkled throughout the pews, but not a church we it's de facto a black church. I know it shouldn't be about race, etc however if the situation was reversed, there are plenty who would understand what I'm talking about. Either way, I'd like to hear about them all and perhaps even sit in on a service a few Sundays. Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 09:08 PM

2,276 posts, read 4,012,443 times
Sorry no responses so far - might have better luck in the Houston subforum!

Some thoughts...I used to live in this area - I am not real sure about these congregations in terms of their "level" of diversity - but you might check them out...

Daybreak Church

Christian Life Center

Spring Woods UMC

This is downtown...but they do a great job at a diverse constituency...(you can watch 'em on channel 55 to see if you like it)

First Methodist

This is way in another part of town - but you might check 'em out anyway...the pastor is awesome

Gethsemane UMC

Truly if I were to think of a significantly diverse congregation, Lakewood would come to mind...

Lakewood Church (http://www.lakewood.cc/Pages/index.aspx - broken link)

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2010, 10:10 PM

101 posts, read 474,477 times
Lakewood off Hwy 59 (southwest Houston) is your best bet. www.lakewood.cc This church is pretty diverse...largest in the nation.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 AM

I have a few issues with ultra large churches. I've been to a few and they don't seem to be very practical in terms of getting to know your feelow worshippers and the pastor. Still haven't found a church home yet.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,105 times
Default Finding a Church Home

Hello, I know it's been awhile since your post. I don't know if you found a church yet or not but, try St. Luke Missionary Baptist Church 8989 Humble Westfield Rd Humble, TX 77338, this should be near the area where you live. Also try this website www.cushcity.com/churchlist.htm, this should help in locating a church.

Hope this helps

Old 04-26-2011, 05:04 PM

Thanks, and yes, we're still looking.. years later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanayk View Post
Hello, I know it's been awhile since your post. I don't know if you found a church yet or not but, try St. Luke Missionary Baptist Church 8989 Humble Westfield Rd Humble, TX 77338, this should be near the area where you live. Also try this website www.cushcity.com/churchlist.htm, this should help in locating a church.

Hope this helps

Old 04-26-2011, 05:23 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,817,316 times
What area churches have you visited?

Old 04-26-2011, 05:33 PM

Well, i've been pretty disconnected from here for a long time so I haven't tried St. Luke just yet howevever I'm looking into it.. we've visited a few (3-5) in the kingwood area. I kinda went into them knowing the diversity wasn't going to be the best but in addition... they're boring! I expected that but not to the degree of so many. Most of them are lined from Kingwood Dr all the way through North Park. Either way, with more time in the community, I see more diversity, in general, south of the bridge between Summerwood and FM 1960 so I hope more churches in the area have what we're looking for. I guess I should have also said energy as well!... energy is good! Not so much into the "Repent!.. or you'll end up in Hell" churches. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,907 times
Funny, its early sunday morning as i type and we are in the same situation... Young African American couple just moved to summerwood from Florida. In Tampa se attended a multicultural church and was actively involved in our church. It was not a mega church but not a small one. We are looking for a church home here and have ran into the same situation. Either its 4 hours of Hellfire service or an hour and a half of paint drying. (neither makes me feel closer to christ) i thought Texas naturally would offer more diversity... I ll keep looking and hopefully we can find something soon. I am feeling a spiritual void . We do our bible study but need a Church Family. Good luck in your search.8-)

Old 05-03-2011, 06:55 AM

2,276 posts, read 4,012,443 times
I know Pastor Vincent well - and I feel sure that First Love Community will meet your criterion of "high energy" but not "hell fire." I do not know how much diversity is represented. (I have not attended there, as I am also a pastor - in another town - but Vincent is a colleague!)

Atascocita United Methodist has had some diversity represented since the day it was organized in 1988, but it is still quite predominantly Caucasian - but I can tell you that you would be welcomed. Keep trying guys!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas