Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 09:50 PM

17 posts, read 51,258 times

Advertisements

Hi. I currently live outside San Francisco. Lived in LA for a while, (too long) also. I am done with the big cities for awhile. I love being in the country. I was looking at possibly Lubbock , Midland or Odessa. I still need to work. Are these ok areas to move to as far as employment goes? Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Trying to research as much as I can. I just know I want the heck out of California...........Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 09:39 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,902,154 times
Austin or near there.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:12 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,545,223 times
Just so we cover our bases, West Texas is pretty much the antithesis of San Francisco. Lubbock and Midland-Odessa have some of the lowest unemployment rates in the state, with Lubbock probably having the more stable economy because its main industries (education, healthcare, agriculture) are less prone to booms and busts than Midland's oil industry. Neither city is known for the surrounding scenery, with Midland-Odessa having semi-arid scrubland and Lubbock having grassland/farmland. I can't speak about Midland much more than that, but if you choose the Lubbock area, all of the surrounding area is good for country living. If you want something besides flat farmland, the area "off the Caprock" has a lot of the stereotypical Old West type scenery with canyons, mesas and ranching just 30 minutes east of Lubbock in places like Garza Counth and Crosby County. Good luck with your decision.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:41 PM

Thanks Westner92. I was out of town for the holiday. Thanks for the info about the employment in those areas. Its hard when you are so far away to try to choose an area to move to. I guess you really don't know until you go for it..... But I do know I'd like to get out of here quick. California is changing so much and not for the best! Have a Happy new Year Thanks again.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 PM

52,604 posts, read 47,787,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsiejs View Post
Thanks Westner92. I was out of town for the holiday. Thanks for the info about the employment in those areas. Its hard when you are so far away to try to choose an area to move to. I guess you really don't know until you go for it..... But I do know I'd like to get out of here quick. California is changing so much and not for the best! Have a Happy new Year Thanks again.

Just come on over. You don't have to settle in any big cities here, even though I endorse all of them all the time. This state is big enough and there's plenty of room just for you. Westerner has some great tips for you for West Texas, and I would recommend any of those places for a new lease on life. It's all going to depend on your job situation and where you believe the best fit is for you.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 PM

Smile Thanks case44!!!!!

Thanks for the invite! See, this is another reason i'd like to move to Texas, the people there are really kind. I am going to do alot of research about West Texas. Its great to have a direction to go in.Thanks.
I'm hoping that my parents will eventually follow. They want the heck out too! But are dragging their feet. So I guess its up to me to scout out a new place. I will not be transferring with a job. So I will need to find one once I am there. ( I guess I am really going to go for it!)

2010 should be interesting!!!!!

Have a Happy New year & be safe!!!

Old 01-06-2010, 04:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,656 times
What a contrast! Moving to west Texas from San Francisco. Forget ridiculous housing cost, traffic issues, and regulations for everything. You will trade the smell of low tide for the dust storms and sometimes violent weather. Plenty hot in the summer too. Understanding that, I would move in a heart beat.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:09 PM

IN A HEART BEAT!!!!!! I have been wanting to move out of here for so long. Do you live in Lubbock? I lived in the central valley here for a lil while and LOVED IT SO MUCH! There were cows, tractors, and hay bales. NICE!!! It was an easy way of life and people were so much nicer.
I think I can adjust to any weather conditions. I'm not a weenie and what a small sacrifice to be in an area that has alot of other great things to offer. And people that may think more like I do...WOW!!! I can't imagine!!! That alone, I think i'd move to alaska!! hee hee
Just the work thing is a small issue... Im not affraid of hard work. I would love to even help out on ranch!!!! with animals!!! Maybe I should make a trip to see if I can get work first. We'll see! WISH I WAS THERE NOW!!
until then, I guess I'll keep reading this site as much as I can and be thankful of people like you for your input... Happy new year
Jessica

Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 AM

128 posts, read 272,468 times
To match the jobs of San Francisco, you'll probably have to go to Houston or Dallas. The area around Austin is pretty, and Austin has some high paying jobs as well. However, the city of Austin reminds me of San Fran in a lot of ways. A lot of people in Austin have Californian mindsets and as a result the local government is much more restrictive and has even inflated the cost of living compared to the rest of Texas. It's worlds better than San Fran, but it's following the same path.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:28 PM

Thanks openedskittles!! i sure will want to visit there some time, I have heard its a nice place. But I don't care to have anything like what I am leaving... SanFrans great in its own way.. But I love the country and big open fields, animals & even cowboys!!! Hee-hee!!! So the big cities are not where I want to go. Lived in them for along time now and i am ready for the change.... I don't like to hear that the mind set maybe following us here... sad! I want to move to a place that is completely diffrent from here... You guys seem to have so many great places to choose from out there!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas