Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:10 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,093,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Yeah, just go to Austin. You're the right age for it.
Except that rent in a decent, safe part of Austin can be astronomical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 12:25 PM

333 posts, read 974,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hmm, well that's why I was wondering about the Round Rock area cause it's smaller and might be cheaper? The main thing I wasn't sure about, is that I noticed it takes 25 mins from there to Austin.
Although, I did wonder if they had colleges in the northern part of Austin, like some of y'all said, so that would definitely be closer than downtown Austin.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
There is Southwestern University in Georgetown, Concordia in NW Austin (by Lake Travis), ACC (north Austin/RR)... all in the N Austin area. Plus, there is St Edwards in South Austin, and Texas State in San Marcos. Basically, tons of colleges besides UT in the Austin area.

Austin does have bad traffic, but it's not big-city traffic. It's basically that our few highways get clogged up during rush hour, as they are too small for the amount of people living here. Austin does not feel like a huge city, it feels like a medium-sized city with small city roads.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better area (in TX or the US for that matter) for a 20-25 year old student to live in/go to school than the Austin area -- safe, laid back, pretty. You should definitely consider it. Good luck whatever you decide!
Wow, thanks for the info. I had no idea that the Austin area is as good as y'all make it sound. Thanks Yea, about the only other area I'm really considering at the moment is La Crosse, WI. We are gonna be checking it out this summer, but we might have to check out Austin as well. That way we'll know which area's the best for us.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well that was one of the reasons why I was hoping moreso to be in Round Rock, safety, and it's smaller in size. How bad is crime there?

Old 12-28-2009, 03:41 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,800,906 times
RR is very safe, as is most of Austin. Just stay away from pockets of NE Austin, and just north of 183.

Round Rock will be basically identical to McKinney or Plano -- basically generic suburbia. Mostly families, mostly empty neighborhoods from 9-5, not much of anything for young people in their 20's.

Ok, now for some unsolicited advice. I apologize in advance if this offends:

I understand your concern for safety, but I'd strongly recommend checking out more central neighborhoods (in either Austin or Dallas)... They can still be very safe, but will have more variety of people and lots who are your age. This is an important time in your life, you don't need to be isolating yourself in the suburbs IMO. Perhaps if you are used to suburbs on the east coast or other regions of America, you should know that Texas (or sunbelt) suburbs are NOT like those. They tend to be mostly new, so you won't experience any great deal of neighborhood "character"... they are great places to raise a family, but can be incredibly isolating if you don't fit that demographic. Just FYI. Best advice I can give: visit first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas