Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 06:47 PM

333 posts, read 975,023 times

Advertisements

One of the areas I'm considering going to for college would be either McKinney, or Plano, and I'm wondering how these cities are? safety, friendly people etc. Also, if anyone knows how good the Collin County Community College's are in both of these cities? If one of them is better than the other, or if they're both good/bad. Any info would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 06:57 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,719,870 times
CCCC is your typical community college. It's all commuter students since there are no dorms on any campus. Honestly, if you're looking for the 'real" college experience with staying in dorms, etc. I'd pick someplace else. Junior Colleges have the more typical campuses with dorms, etc.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
CCCC is your typical community college. It's all commuter students since there are no dorms on any campus. Honestly, if you're looking for the 'real" college experience with staying in dorms, etc. I'd pick someplace else. Junior Colleges have the more typical campuses with dorms, etc.
Na, I don't wanna live in a dorm. My brother and I want to rent an apartment anyway. I was just wondering if that college is any good, and if those would be good cities to live in?

Old 12-27-2009, 09:34 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,018,968 times
Family suburbs.

Plano holds it's value better for being closer to Dallas and having a big corporate presence.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:30 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,736,331 times
They are both suburbs of Dallas. McKinney to live as a young single adult: NO WAY!!!! Plano would be at least a bit better on that front then if you or your brother wanted to move on up to a full 4 year university your closer to UTD and even SMU. SMU has partnered w/ CCCC to have students do 2 years there and then transfer straight over to SMU. SMU is in Dallas and living in McKinney to go there would BITE!

I'd pick neither city to live in personally as a young single adult. I'd live IN Dallas and attend Dallas County Community College or something.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
They are both suburbs of Dallas. McKinney to live as a young single adult: NO WAY!!!! Plano would be at least a bit better on that front then if you or your brother wanted to move on up to a full 4 year university your closer to UTD and even SMU. SMU has partnered w/ CCCC to have students do 2 years there and then transfer straight over to SMU. SMU is in Dallas and living in McKinney to go there would BITE!

I'd pick neither city to live in personally as a young single adult. I'd live IN Dallas and attend Dallas County Community College or something.
Well, it doesn't really worry me if I'm in an area with a lot of singles, as long as it's people close to our age group. I'm 20 and my brother's 23. Only thing bad about Dallas really, is it's size. We really don't like cities THAT big. Prefer a city no bigger than maybe 200,000 to 300,000?

What about the Round Rock/Cedar Park area? I was looking there too, but they don't seem to have colleges there, so then we'd still have to drive into a big city. (Austin)
Does Austin feel like a huge city? lots of traffic etc.
If it doesn't feel as big as it really is, then we might consider that area.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:26 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,818,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygirl05 View Post
What about the Round Rock/Cedar Park area? I was looking there too, but they don't seem to have colleges there, so then we'd still have to drive into a big city. (Austin)
Does Austin feel like a huge city? lots of traffic etc.
If it doesn't feel as big as it really is, then we might consider that area.
There is Southwestern University in Georgetown, Concordia in NW Austin (by Lake Travis), ACC (north Austin/RR)... all in the N Austin area. Plus, there is St Edwards in South Austin, and Texas State in San Marcos. Basically, tons of colleges besides UT in the Austin area.

Austin does have bad traffic, but it's not big-city traffic. It's basically that our few highways get clogged up during rush hour, as they are too small for the amount of people living here. Austin does not feel like a huge city, it feels like a medium-sized city with small city roads.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better area (in TX or the US for that matter) for a 20-25 year old student to live in/go to school than the Austin area -- safe, laid back, pretty. You should definitely consider it. Good luck whatever you decide!

Old 12-28-2009, 05:18 AM

11,819 posts, read 26,719,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
You'd be hard pressed to find a better area (in TX or the US for that matter) for a 20-25 year old student to live in/go to school than the Austin area -- safe, laid back, pretty. You should definitely consider it. Good luck whatever you decide!
I totally agree! Plano and McKinney are both family towns. Go to Austin. You won't regret it!

Old 12-28-2009, 09:01 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,889,574 times
Yeah, just go to Austin. You're the right age for it.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:08 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,142,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Clearly, you haven't kept up.

It's Collin College now. And they offer bachelor's degrees.

They have campus life, arts, Cougars atheletic teams, theater, dance, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas