U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 03:36 PM

899 posts, read 1,948,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2496 View Post
I would look at small West Texas metros like San Angelo, Midland, Abilene, Wichita Falls. They are all family friendly, cheap to live in, and offer you a bigger house for the money than you can find in the rest of Texas. They all have McDonald's. Midland could be the poorest choice because its economy swings up and down with the price of oil, and when things are good, housing becomes more expensive. And when things are bad, jobs evaporate quickly. The other three are fairly stable communities with no huge fluxuations in population or economy. Amarillo and Lubbock are also good family friendly communities.
I really like Waco and Temple - right on the edge of the very scenic Hill Country for weekend camping, hunting, fishing, nice lakes in or near the cities, diverse economies really humming because Ft Hood is nearby and dirt cheap real estate , even compared to San Antonio, Hou, and Dallas/FW, let alone Austin. Neither is far from Austin if you enjoy the music scene. Waco has a nice outdoor music mini-arena called the Hog Creek Saloon or something like that that gets national acts so you might not even have to go to nearby Austin or Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 01:24 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,717,862 times
I read a lot of peoples' comments about high property taxes. It all depends where ya live. If you move to one of the upscale "keepin up with the Jones " neighborhoods/towns I expect you'll get hosed on your taxes. I live out in the rural county and pay about a grand (less) on 50 acres, 2,400 sq ft home, barns/shops, and MIL pad. I could afford a $300K house in town but I like our quality of life here and my kids aren't getting the influences here that they'd get in many city areas and we like that. Besides, I can't even hear the Jones from here. Pick the right place(s) and you'll live much less expensively. Also, I'm all electric and my energy costs are generally less than $250/month, sometimes way less.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:33 PM

31 posts, read 31,611 times
I found a job!!! Im so happy i found a job. Now we're movin on to finding an apartment. We wanna be n downtown dallas area because we would like to walk to almost everything. Dh job is transfering too so we're all set.

Can anyone help us with an apartment n downtown dallas our limit is $1000 a month for a two bedroom.. Do you think that's possible? We also may think we would need daycare. Not for sure about that yet we have to c what hours dh will be working but im so excited i dont no what to say..

We will be relocating at our own expense though but we will have first n last month rent as a security deposit.
Anybody with any ideas i would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you n advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas