Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 01:06 AM

3 posts, read 7,214 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother who works as a registered nurse. I have one child who is currently enrolled in a french immersion school in Canada. I am thinking of moving to either Dallas or Houston but I am not sure which one to move to? I have considered other parts of the U.S. as well in my list which include Columbia and Charleston SC, Durham, Greenville and Charlotte NC. Mainly i would like to live in a city that has a french school for my child, she's in grade 3, a University with CRNA program that I could attend as well as a mostly warm climate year round. I am tired of the snow in Canada and would like some warm weather. I would really appreciate anyone's advice. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 03:17 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,857,943 times
RN's make more (or should I say realize more) money in Houston than they do in Dallas (or anywhere else in the country for that matter) because of the high pay vs. very low cost of living.

As for French schools, I can't really say, but I can tell you there are more French Americans & French speakers in the Houston area due to its proximity to Southern Louisiana. Here I've provided you with a US map showing concentrations of French in the US.

As you can clearly see, Houston is near a very dense area in the bright orange blob below where the other places you mentioned are in the light yellow or even white.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-29-2009 at 03:26 AM..

Old 12-29-2009, 07:48 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,598,189 times
You should go where you can get a job. Dallas and Houston are both great places and you would probably like either one.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:43 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,378,272 times
There is a private school in Dallas that teaches in English, French and Spanish.
Home - Dallas International School

Old 12-29-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
RN's make more (or should I say realize more) money in Houston than they do in Dallas (or anywhere else in the country for that matter) because of the high pay vs. very low cost of living.

As for French schools, I can't really say, but I can tell you there are more French Americans & French speakers in the Houston area due to its proximity to Southern Louisiana. Here I've provided you with a US map showing concentrations of French in the US.

As you can clearly see, Houston is near a very dense area in the bright orange blob below where the other places you mentioned are in the light yellow or even white.

Hope this helps!

That's really interesting thank you. I know the money would be great in Houston. I was wondering if it is safe and people are friendly? Being Canadian we are layed back and friendly with neighbours type people, for the most part anyways. I don't speak french that well but having my child know a second laguage is important to me.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:37 PM

Yes i have researched this school and it is cheaper than the Awty School in houston.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:45 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,857,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse01 View Post
That's really interesting thank you. I know the money would be great in Houston. I was wondering if it is safe and people are friendly? Being Canadian we are layed back and friendly with neighbours type people, for the most part anyways. I don't speak french that well but having my child know a second laguage is important to me.
Houston as a whole is safer than "The City of Dallas" where violent crime rates are way up in recent years. As far as safe Houston suburbs go that are in close proximity to the Texas Medical Center (largest in the world), Pearland is where its at which is just a straight shot up 288 about 15-20 minutes away.

There are also other safe suburbs around the Houston area near hospitals. The Woodlands, Katy, & Sugar Land all come to mind.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:25 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,598,189 times
You can find a safe place to live either place. I wouldnt worry about the crime in either place. Both have bad and good areas to them.

Likewise, there are Canadians in both place and most public high schools also teach French.

You will find laid back people and snobs both places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas