Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 02:34 PM

286 posts, read 403,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
Wow! Moderator cut: rude

The only reason I brought up millionaires was because Fort Worthian constantly brought up billionaires like it had any significance at all. My point was to clarify that Houston has just as much wealth as Dallas and not how significant a millionaire is to the utility of the average person. This would be a ridiculous argument to make.

Why do certain national restaurant and retail chains choose Dallas before Houston? One word - logistics. I know this might seem unfathomable to someone like you who lacks any in-depth knowledge of the business world but the answer couldn't be more simple. Tell you what - next time you are in your cubicle and you find a little time between stapling papers and licking stamps I challenge you to google the word "logistics" and get ready to have your mind BLOWN!

Moderator cut: orphaned

Moderator cut: see comment
Definition of LOGISTICS

: the aspect of military science dealing with the procurement, maintenance, and transportation of military matériel, facilities, and personnel

: the handling of the details of an operation

Moderator cut: attack ideas, not other posters

Last edited by Debsi; 07-25-2012 at 02:51 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 08:18 PM

563 posts, read 905,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtbr72 View Post
Definition of LOGISTICS

[/mod]
I guess if I wanted the definition of logistics you would get a cookie and if I wanted the definition of military logistics you would get two. What I was looking for was business logistics - i.e., production, distribution, supply chain management, etc. I will still let you guys google it for yourself but in the mean time I will explain why I made the statement I did.

Lets start off with In-N-Out Burger which you Dallas posters so eloquently and consistently rub in our faces that you got first. The following article explains why they chose Dallas (along with others) to enter the Texas market. In-N-Out has a 685 mile radius in which it can distribute goods from a central location known as a distribution center. Any further out and the quality of their product will start to deteriorate. Given that range, a distribution hub in Dallas would allow the fast food chain to reach 13 states and countless cities. In the diagram, what would happen to that radius if it were moved to Houston? Over 40% of the allowable radius would encompass the Gulf of Mexico. What good would that do In-N-Out?

In-N-Out's New Dallas Distribution Center Means it Could Expand to Thirteen States - Eater Maps - Eater National

Companies choose Dallas because of its ease to get elsewhere and its location; not because it has shoppers there are move avid or have more money when compared to Houston. The following are quotes are from IDI and The Allen Group who in 2008 where planning to build two monstrous distribution centers in Dallas in order for clothing retailers, etc. to have a place to distribute their goods. These statements are echoed across the industry.
Quote:
The Allen Group.

"The project is within the bounds of four major highways: the Interstate 35E NAFTA corridor, Interstate 45's link to the Port of Houston, Interstate 20's straight shot to the Port of Long Beach in California, and the proposed Loop 9, which will encircle the Metroplex.This is what I call 'the golden box of logistics."
Massive Dallas Distribution Hub Planned - SecurityInfoWatch.com Mobile - Page 3

IDI states more of the same.
Quote:
The site is close to Union Pacific Railroad Co.’s busy Dallas Intermodal Terminal on Interstate 45. Unlike sites on I-45, however, amenities like restaurants and hotels are closer, as is nearby water and sewer infrastructure. The site also gives IDI frontage on I-35, the major route between Canada and Mexico, and I-20, the major route from Atlanta to San Diego.
IDI plots retail distribution center in South Dallas - Dallas Business Journal

The reason I posted so many quotes about the Port of Long Beach is because the West Coast accounts for 68-70% of the imports from Asia.

East, West Coasts Achieve Competitive Balance | Journal of Commerce

Why does this matter? TONS of the clothes sold in North America are manufactured in Asia (as we all know) along with tons of other goods. The port of Houston only accounts for around 20% of the Asian market so with the direct connection from Dallas to California it only makes since to begin the Texas market there. Continued...

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-26-2012 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: Copyrighted articles require posting a snippet (2-3 sentences only) from an article w/link per TOS.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:26 PM

Your argument that somehow Dallas consumers have more capital is flawed. There are pretty much the same if not shifted in Houston's direction.

What we are really talking about here is spending power or disposable income. While both median incomes are the same, the average incomes, which show more discrepancies in lower and larger incomes, are further apart and especially when taking into account COL.

Forbes came out with an article a couple of weeks ago called "The Cities Where A Paycheck Stretches The Furthest" and compared average incomes across the major metros and adjusted for COL. Houston came in first and Dallas a respectable fifth.

The Cities Where A Paycheck Stretches The Furthest - Forbes

Average incomes:

Houston - $59,838

Dallas ----$53,453

Adjusted for COL:

Houston - $66,933

Dallas ----$55,564

So if either city were to argue for purchasing power it would be Houston by a pretty good margin.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:08 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,381,685 times
Quote:
The Allen Group.

"The project is within the bounds of four major highways: the Interstate 35E NAFTA corridor, Interstate 45's link to the Port of Houston, Interstate 20's straight shot to the Port of Long Beach in California, and the proposed Loop 9, which will encircle the Metroplex.This is what I call 'the golden box of logistics."
And this is the "Golden" paragraph that explains why Dallas is more attractive and chosen by businesses all over the world over Houston. And now i kinda see how important it is to get the intermodal port in southern Dallas going....That thing could grow into a BEAST!!!....I sure hope so.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-26-2012 at 01:47 AM.. Reason: No need to quote entire post - just that pertinent to your post comments

Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
And this is the "Golden" paragraph that explains why Dallas is more attractive and chosen by businesses all over the world over Houston. And now i kinda see how important it is to get the intermodal port in southern Dallas going....That thing could grow into a BEAST!!!....I sure hope so.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:10 AM

875 posts, read 1,651,609 times
Quote:
Your argument that somehow Dallas consumers have more capital is flawed. There are pretty much the same if not shifted in Houston's direction.

What we are really talking about here is spending power or disposable income. While both median incomes are the same, the average incomes, which show more discrepancies in lower and larger incomes, are further apart and especially when taking into account COL.

Forbes came out with an article a couple of weeks ago called "The Cities Where A Paycheck Stretches The Furthest" and compared average incomes across the major metros and adjusted for COL. Houston came in first and Dallas a respectable fifth.

The Cities Where A Paycheck Stretches The Furthest - Forbes

Average incomes:

Houston - $59,838

Dallas ----$53,453

Adjusted for COL:

Houston - $66,933

Dallas ----$55,564

So if either city were to argue for purchasing power it would be Houston by a pretty good margin.
Yep. LOL

Old 07-26-2012, 12:17 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,381,685 times
Quote:
I do understand what you were saying but for some odd reason your posts come off as if you are trying to prove that this is somehow bad for dallas or as if this is the "excuse "for dallas drawing retail first..I just zoomed in on the only thing that mattered...sorry.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I do understand what you were saying but for some odd reason your posts come off as if you are trying to prove that this is somehow bad for dallas or as if this is the "excuse "for dallas drawing retail first..I just zoomed in on the only thing that mattered...sorry.
This is exactly what I am talking about. You took the point I was trying to make with these two and went in a different direction. You "missed the boat" and didn't even take what I said into the context of me trying to discredit uneducated claims of why Dallas would receive a chain before Houston.

It's not an ''excuse" but a well known fact for a lot of businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Dallas still gets more national retail and restaurant chains before Houston, both high and low end. With all of the millionaires in Houston, why aren't more national companies using Houston as a test market over DFW when moving into Texas?
Moderator cut: see comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtbr72 View Post
Moderator cut: no personal attacks allowed per TOS Logistics? Why no Kansas City then if it where about logistics. What major cities are near DFW? Shreveport? OKC? People in the metroplex shop and spend big bucks. It's a sport up here. You would think that a lot of food chains would chose Houston being that it is the fattest city in America. I guess they feel that obese people would be to lazy to get off the couch and shop.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:58 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,040,686 times
Who the hell cares about millionaires or billionaires? Moderator cut: language on both of them. What I (and most people) want to know is which city will provide the best quality of life for me, someone who's nowhere near millionaire level.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-26-2012 at 05:45 AM..

Old 07-26-2012, 10:45 AM

I know my post got edited again but I think it's important to note from The Allen Group article that businesses are looking to Texas and North Texas in general to unload the shipping containers instead of doing it at the congested ports on the West Coast. Dallas is going to continue to see growth as an inland port for the same reason a lot of businesses are moving business to Texas which is cost and how the state is centrally located.

It would be naive to think that this will somehow boost Dallas above Houston (or vice versa) because we forget that Houston is home to the second busiest port in the US in terms of overall tonnage and the thirteenth busiest in the world. It is also the busiest port in the US in terms of foreign tonnage and with the widening of the Panama Canal it can only be expected to grow that much larger.

Both areas are vital to the continued success of the state and both will have huge benefits on the opposite city in which they are located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas