Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 02:08 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Dallas does not depend on Fort Worth!
Its one thing not to know any better, but its something when you Dallasites can't admit the truth.

Both cities depend on each other plain & simple.

If it wasn't for Fort Worth as Dallas' anchor city, Dallas would just be another mid size metro of 2 million people similar in size to San Antonio.

Put the pipe down, please.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:18 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Its one thing not to know any better, but its something when you Dallasites can't admit the truth.

If it wasn't for Fort Worth as Dallas' anchor city, Dallas would just be another mid size metro of 2 million people similar in size to San Antonio.

Dallas County has a population of 2,412,827 people! I think Dallas would have a bigger metro than that! Fort Worth is not the anchor city Dallas is! If Fort Worth was the anchor city it would have a population over 1,000,000! (I am not trying to bash Fort Worth!)

Old 12-29-2009, 02:23 PM

457 posts, read 904,628 times
Folks, Metro Matt is just being silly.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:24 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:

Dude, are you really making this arguement?

You know better and I know youre just talking. Youre too smart to think that Dallas would be like San Antonio without Fort Worth.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, its all a reigional effort. South Texas and Metro Houston are a reigional effort just like DFW and North Texas are. Its one reigion and one population center all the way around.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:30 PM

657 posts, read 2,544,415 times
There's always been a "Who's the man?" debate between the 2 cities. The real debate is Houston and it's satellite's vs the Metroplex. Both are good metropolitan areas.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Dude, are you really making this arguement?

You know better and I know youre just talking. Youre too smart to think that Dallas would be like San Antonio without Fort Worth.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, its all a reigional effort. South Texas and Metro Houston are a reigional effort just like DFW and North Texas are. Its one reigion and one population center all the way around.
How soon we forget the City of San Antonio IS larger now than The City of Dallas. I also stand by my claim that if it weren't for Fort Worth as Dallas' anchor city, the Dallas Metro would only be around 2 million right now which is basically Dallas County & a few of the larger surrounding burbs thrown in. Denton is the center of Denton County & basically everything immediately north, east, & west of there.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:48 PM

May I also add that with Houston, if it weren't for the city annexing all of its surrounding land & suburbs a long time ago, the city wouldn't be anywhere near as large as it is today & may have even developed much like D/FW did with two larger cities, one being Houston of course, & the other being Galveston. Galveston did at one time have its own port & could have sustained itself economically if it weren't for the Port of Houston buying it from them.

Galveston was at one point & time slated to be the New York of the South (it was on its way too) until the Great Hurricane of 1900 devastated the island. If you don't believe me, go back & re-learn your Texas History, folks.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-29-2009 at 02:56 PM..

Old 12-29-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
How soon we forget the City of San Antonio IS larger now than The City of Dallas. I also stand by my claim that if it weren't for Fort Worth as Dallas' anchor city, the Dallas Metro would only be around 2 million right now which is basically Dallas County & a few of the larger surrounding burbs thrown in. Denton is the center of Denton County & basically everything north, east, & west of there.
Well, I think youre wrong. Youre probably too emotionally invested in the arguement you made so I dont expect you to come out and say it. But I really dont think even you buy what you just wrote especially since Dallas without Fort Worth and Tarrant county still has 4 million people. Saying that Dallas would be 1/3 of its size is absurd. Fort Worth is certainly a very important part of the metroplex as is Tarrant county and will continue to play a crucial role in the development of North Texas.

Fort Worth and Dallas are neighbors. We cant go around talking about what might be. I could make an argument saying Houston wouldnt be much without Galveston. Given that Galveston was the one to get big first and only because of the 1900 hurricane did its growth stop. Its a similar argument to what you are saying, but I dont truly believe that it would be the case.

But I digress, lets look at facts as opposed to exploring the wonderous world of make-believe. Dallas and Fort Worth are neighboring cities in neighboring counties. There is very little land between them undeveloped. They share an airport, an economy, and suburbs. They are one metro area. They are the largest metro area in the state and the 4th largest in the country.

That is the way things exist today. We cant change them, so lets just go with what is and not what could have been.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Well, I think youre wrong. Youre probably too emotionally invested in the arguement you made so I dont expect you to come out and say it. But I really dont think even you buy what you just wrote especially since Dallas without Fort Worth and Tarrant county still has 4 million people. Saying that Dallas would be 1/3 of its size is absurd. Fort Worth is certainly a very important part of the metroplex as is Tarrant county and will continue to play a crucial role in the development of North Texas.

Fort Worth and Dallas are neighbors. We cant go around talking about what might be. I could make an argument saying Houston wouldnt be much without Galveston. Given that Galveston was the one to get big first and only because of the 1900 hurricane did its growth stop. Its a similar argument to what you are saying, but I dont truly believe that it would be the case.

But I digress, lets look at facts as opposed to exploring the wonderous world of make-believe. Dallas and Fort Worth are neighboring cities in neighboring counties. There is very little land between them undeveloped. They share an airport, an economy, and suburbs. They are one metro area. They are the largest metro area in the state and the 4th largest in the country.

That is the way things exist today. We cant change them, so lets just go with what is and not what could have been.
Ok...thats fine, but Metro Houston isn't that far behind D/FW in population. Its the 5th largest Metro in the US after D/FW. Houston surpassed Philly for that title over a year ago. If the growth rate continues in Houston as it has been the past decade, it could eventually surpass Chicago in the next 10 years.

Fort Worth accounts for nearly 700,000 people in the D/FW Metroplex, which is the only reason why its any larger than Houston. To deny that would be silly.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Ok...thats fine, but Metro Houston isn't that far behind D/FW in population. Its the 5th largest Metro in the US after D/FW. Houston surpassed Philly for that title over a year ago. If the growth rate continues in Houston as it has been the past decade, it could eventually surpass Chicago in the next 10 years.

Fort Worth accounts for nearly 700,000 people in the D/FW Metroplex, which is the only reason why its any larger than Houston. To deny that would be silly.
Saying that without Fort Worth Metro Houston would be bigger is alot different that saying Dallas by itself would only be a metro of 2 million. BIG difference.

I never said anything about. If you read my post, I didnt say anything about Houston being far behind DFW or anything like that. I was just trying to defend the Metroplex more than I was trying to make it look better than Houston. Both are what they are. Houston is the 4th largest city and DFW is the 4th largest Metro area. And thats just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas