Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:43 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,600,409 times

Advertisements

I think things may be different now than they were in 1981. Now, almost 2/3 of Dallas is either from Mexico, El Salvador, or other parts of the US.

I think it may be more historical than anything.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:58 AM

457 posts, read 899,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
With all due respect. Its hardly imaginary, my friend. Any Native Texan knows that...

Even my grandfather who just turned 87 has told me the stories. Heck, he grew up on Walnut Hill Lane in Dallas when it was nothing but country & wide open fields as far as the eye could see & milked the cows every morning at the crack of dawn before school started. He also has an elementary school in Dallas named after his family's last name. His older brother (my great uncle) helped design the spire on the Republic Bank building & Red Horse a top the old Magnolia Building downtown.

This Time Magazine article, written way back in 1981 is one of the most famous write ups on the two cities of all time. A lot of whats described in it still holds true to this very day.

Here is just a little snippet taken from the article:

"Houston has no zoning laws. Dallas, however, is hemmed in by suburbs that resist annexation, and the city's urban planners have carefully guided expansion. Admits Dallas Developer Scovell: "Sure, we were jealous of Houston's growth. Anyone who tells you different is a liar."

The Best Little Rivalry in Texas - TIME

Deja Vu anyone?

I hope this finally puts a nail in this threads coffin for good as I'm tired of preaching to immature people who didn't even grow up here in this great state & know only what they read on C-D from highly biased posters.

I'm soo over it already!!!
Wow, I bet you had to dig a long time to find an almost 30 year old article on the subject to support your claims. Nice article, I remember reading it in high school, but it is irrelevant in the 21st century. Whatever rivalry that may have existed between Dallas and Houston petered out in the 90's. Some people may still talk about a rivalry, clinging to the glory days of old, but sorry, you're "soo over it" like an old pair of parachute pants.

Metro Matt, give us some meaningful and modern examples of how Houston and Dallas are rivals today. I want real examples, backed with empirical evidence and verifiable links. Examples would be comments from modern politicians saying that the other city is a rival, and or links to articles describing how one city lost out to the other for business or whatever. I am not talking about one city making a comparison; I want to see the word “rival” in your evidence.

And forget sports, as those "rivalries" are just manufactured to sell tickets for a day and are quickly forgotten.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:44 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,584,836 times
Interesting read here.

Native Texan here, (Tarrant county actually) 50 years old and have never once in my life heard of Houston being a rival to Dallas.

Houston is and has always been a different kind of city than Dallas and there's never really been anything to be rivals about.

On the other hand, there's always been an underlying rivalry between Fort Worth and Dallas of which the goal was to show how different each of the cities are yet how they can lure from each other.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:16 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,649,719 times
I say Azle vs. Springtown

Old 12-31-2009, 04:07 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,859,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
Wow, I bet you had to dig a long time to find an almost 30 year old article on the subject to support your claims.

Not really...I found it to be a good read when I first read it several years ago & figured I'd post it for educational purposes.

Quote:
Nice article, I remember reading it in high school, but it is irrelevant in the 21st century. Whatever rivalry that may have existed between Dallas and Houston petered out in the 90's. Some people may still talk about a rivalry, clinging to the glory days of old, but sorry, you're "soo over it" like an old pair of parachute pants.

Oh so now there was a rivalry? I'm glad you're finally admitting it now! Oh & on the parachute pants, I hear 80's fashion is back in style these days.

Quote:
Metro Matt, give us some meaningful and modern examples of how Houston and Dallas are rivals today. I want real examples, backed with empirical evidence and verifiable links. Examples would be comments from modern politicians saying that the other city is a rival, and or links to articles describing how one city lost out to the other for business or whatever. I am not talking about one city making a comparison; I want to see the word “rival” in your evidence.

Too tired to look for modern examples right now, but here is a New York Times article written back in 1988.

Houston vs. Dallas: A Boom, a Bust, Two Cities and One Intense Rivalry - NYTimes.com

Try looking this guy up. I'm sure he could give you enough information to fill an encyclopedia.

"T. R. Fehrenbach, a Texas historian, said that while blame for Houston's bust had been placed largely on collapsing oil prices, Dallas's had been perceived as more closely related to human factors. ''Traveling around Texas,'' he said, ''I've heard terms like 'dumber than a Dallas banker."

Quote:
And forget sports, as those "rivalries" are just manufactured to sell tickets for a day and are quickly forgotten.
"Manufactured" rivalries? I think you just "manufactured" a new urbandictionary word.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:49 PM

789 posts, read 1,519,800 times
It seems that since I joined these forums, it's Houston and Dallas. Although I have never heard about before this time. Not to mention people from the Dallas forums posting in the Houston forums. And let's not talk about the Austin posters. It seem there is a lot of hate for Houston also. It all seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:14 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,600,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
It seems that since I joined these forums, it's Houston and Dallas. Although I have never heard about before this time. Not to mention people from the Dallas forums posting in the Houston forums. And let's not talk about the Austin posters. It seem there is a lot of hate for Houston also. It all seems pretty ridiculous to me.
Thats because outside this forum, very few people actually care all that much. I dont know anyone here in Dallas that has any kind of hate or distaste for Houston and I ask all the time.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:23 PM

457 posts, read 899,831 times
Matt, if you find any evidence of an actual rivalry, let us know. Thanks!

Old 12-31-2009, 04:34 PM

789 posts, read 1,519,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Thats because outside this forum, very few people actually care all that much. I dont know anyone here in Dallas that has any kind of hate or distaste for Houston and I ask all the time.

That's because they have a life, haha. They like to go out and have fun. Sorry, sorry! Just a joke about the amount of complainers on this site.

This comment will be deleted in 5..4..3..2..1..

Last edited by Kenpar; 12-31-2009 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: Add more

Old 01-03-2010, 11:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,687 times
I have lived in both areas, DFW and Houston. Native Texans, throughout the state, are very loyal to Texas as a whole. We are a very diverse topographical and cultural state. The only rivalry that I know of is in sports. Houston never quite made it with football (the Oilers left the fans cold but the Texans have shown great promise) but has an excellant supported professional basketball team, the Houston Rockets. No matter what Houston seems to do with the football team, Dallas seems always to come out on top with the Cowboys. That is ok with many Houstonians who love the Cowboys. Houston is a great place to live and raise a family. Kids seem to thrive there what with all the activities available that are geared around kids. Houston has a world class Rodeo but Dallas has a world class State Fair. Houston has the beach close at hand but Dallas has Nascar. Houston is the 4th largest city in the USA but Dallas is no runt. Houston has very mild weather in the winter but is extremely humid year round. The trade winds off the Gulf make the weather tolerable most of the time. Houston has hurricanes but Dallas has tornadoes, hail, ice storms and snow. Houston has very wide (and new and easy to manuver around) freeways but Dallas has a more compact West End that has everything one needs without driving half a day to get there. Houston has a world renown Medical Center and one of the best trauma hospitals in the country, Ben Taub. I am not that well versed on Dallas' medical facilities. There are many great and different things that both cities has to offer to the people of Texas and as a native Texan I am proud of each city and extremely glad they are located in my state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas