Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Eat/Prepare Black-Eyed Peas on New Years Day?
Native Texan --Yes 21 52.50%
Native Texan -- No 7 17.50%
Non-Native Texan (Southern U.S origin) -- Yes 3 7.50%
Non-Native Texan (Southern U.S. origin) -- No 1 2.50%
Non-Native Texan (NE, Midwest, Far West origin) -- Yes 2 5.00%
Non-Native Texan (NE, Midwest, Far West origin) -- No 3 7.50%
Never heard/care about it one way or another! 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:17 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Our next door neighbors are Mexican and they brought us over some tamales this year. Great eating! In turn, I intend to take them some fresh black-eyed peas tomorow!

I wish I could try some black eyed peas tomorrow now! This thread is great cause I really had no idea; the most exposure I've ever had to black eyed peas has been eating at the Black Eye Pea once or twice when I was a child. I need to brush up on my Texas Traditions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 11:19 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Looking at the poll results thusfar, it appears that the native Texans eat black-eyed peas far in excess of anywhere else, including the South.
Well, it sure seems like we Texans (at least according to THIS poll) eat 'em far and away disporportionate to our numbers as compared to any where else!

BTW -- I might speak for a few others in asking once again for that black-eyed pea stew recipe you brought up earlier...?

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-01-2010 at 12:34 AM..

Old 01-01-2010, 12:51 AM

Here are a couple of links I thought I would pass on to y'all....

Enjoy 'em and Happy New Years!

Try some Texas Caviar | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Texas Favorite Recipes | Food | Dallas Morning News

Black-Eyed Pea Recipes for the New Year

Old 01-01-2010, 09:32 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I'm making the black-eyed pea stew right now, for the first time. Got it from Food and Wine, the January issue. If it turns out well, I'll share! If it doesn't, I'll let you know!

Old 01-01-2010, 12:07 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Native Texan, yes. I don't do anything special as I'm the only one in the family who actually likes them. I just buy a can and doctor it up with pork or bacon and whatever I think to put in it. I leave a tablespoon plain for my vegetarian daughter.
Great news! I found pre-soaked black-eyed peas at the grocery store the other day, so they're simmering as I type. I never bothered with anything but the can before since, as I said, nobody else here likes them. It's never been worth it. I threw in lots of jalepeno so maybe, just maybe, hubby might enjoy these!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Great news! I found pre-soaked black-eyed peas at the grocery store the other day, so they're simmering as I type. I never bothered with anything but the can before since, as I said, nobody else here likes them. It's never been worth it. I threw in lots of jalepeno so maybe, just maybe, hubby might enjoy these!
There ya go, hon! Don't forget to spice 'em up a bit with either bacon, saltpork, hamhocks! Or something of all three!

Old 01-01-2010, 02:14 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
There ya go, hon! Don't forget to spice 'em up a bit with either bacon, saltpork, hamhocks! Or something of all three!
Oh I threw all sorts of stuff in there, including bacon. I'm hoping it's the jalepenos that will bring the black-eyed pea lover out in my husband. It's not looking too promising, however. He can smell them cooking and is making faces. He'll eat `em, there isn't much he won't eat, but he may not enjoy them. Oh well, at least I'm not having to eat canned this year!

Old 01-02-2010, 08:05 AM

148 posts, read 358,428 times
I had my black-eyed peas yesterday at a local restaurant. They served a small cup of black-eyed peas with every entree. I told the manager how much I appreciated it. While we were eating, a basketball team from York College, York, Nebreska came into the restaurant for lunch (They were playing Abilene Christian University.) The manager came over to my table and told me that they did NOT get black-eyed peas on their plates. They don't have the tradition, he said, and why, he said, should we give them good luck just before they play our local team?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: