Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,687 times

Advertisements

hello all,

I have tons of question pertaining to the Valley. I currently live in Chicago, and plan on moving to/close to Mcallen in around 2-3 yrs but I would like a heads up on info.

Are there any accountants that could give me advice about jobs there. I will be graduating next yr w/my B.A. in Accounting, and currently have 3 yrs as an accounting clerk. What is the starting pay for accounting jobs there? If I go for my CPA/MBA, what benefits/advantages would i have in Mcallen? I would like to continue my career but if its not worth it in south Texas, then why even bother.

any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 04:32 PM

18 posts, read 52,820 times
Hi,
THere is a website that you can look up salaries.
It is called www.salaries.com

I live in Brownsville / SOuth Padre Island. One hour away from McAllen.
There are lots of jobs here because we are so close to the border. We get the hispanic community coming over here to stay permanentley . THen we have the Border Patrol and also Homeland Security . Look up McAllen Tx. It is one of the fastest growing cities in the nation.

Let me know if you have any other questions abou the Rio Grande Valley.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:37 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,495,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benitez View Post
hello all,

I have tons of question pertaining to the Valley. I currently live in Chicago, and plan on moving to/close to Mcallen in around 2-3 yrs but I would like a heads up on info.

Are there any accountants that could give me advice about jobs there. I will be graduating next yr w/my B.A. in Accounting, and currently have 3 yrs as an accounting clerk. What is the starting pay for accounting jobs there? If I go for my CPA/MBA, what benefits/advantages would i have in Mcallen? I would like to continue my career but if its not worth it in south Texas, then why even bother.

Thanks
I moved from Chicago to the Valley many years ago. Currently, I live in Houston. I would imagine there are some accounting jobs, however the pay will definitely be lower. Furthermore, it has been my experience that people who come from major cities such as Chicago do not like the Valley in general. There is no variety of culture and very little to do.

Talking to my wife and cousin right now who are both from the Valley, they say don't bother. You will be disappointed job wise. Just their honest opinion.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:32 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,093,890 times
Find out what jobs in your field pay there first to see if you can live off of whatever it is. Then, see IF you can get a job in that field locally. Since you are still a few years off, take a 2 week vacation down to the valley and see if it is for you. The only drawback is that it is isolated from everywhere else...but if you want to be away from it all, that could be a good thing.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:57 PM

809 posts, read 1,855,073 times
Not sure about the job market in McAllen, but the meat market(women) is overflowing.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:11 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,996,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benitez View Post
hello all,

Thanks
Just curious why the move to the Valley? Family there? I am surprised you aren't considering the larger cities like San Antonio, Houston, Austin, Dallas. San Antonio is only about a 4 hour drive to McAllen, and I am sure there would be many more, and perhaps higher paying jobs there.

Just my .02.

Ian

Old 01-13-2010, 04:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,732 times
To those of you who are or have lived in the Valley area, my husband and I ARE moving for sure to the area from Chicago and need help on where to live!!! Brownsville, Harlingen, the Island......and then where in each town would you live? We are white, husband speaks spanish well, I speak semi-spanish, he has a job, and I am a nurse, so I do not think I will have a hard time getting a job, but I am concerned on where to live!!!! Please any help!

Old 01-14-2010, 12:44 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,909,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestgal12 View Post
To those of you who are or have lived in the Valley area, my husband and I ARE moving for sure to the area from Chicago and need help on where to live!!! Brownsville, Harlingen, the Island......and then where in each town would you live? We are white, husband speaks spanish well, I speak semi-spanish, he has a job, and I am a nurse, so I do not think I will have a hard time getting a job, but I am concerned on where to live!!!! Please any help!
McAllen--north or south in a gated community. Mission/Sharyland is what people who don't really know recommend instead. Nursing jobs pay quite well here. As an RN, if I chose to work, I could make about 20k more per year than what I was making a couple of years ago in El Paso. Do you have your TX license yet? Keep in mind--they now require fingerprints and a criminal background check that can take a few months to complete, so you might want to get started on that asap. And you don't have to speak Spanish. Those that say you do, again, don't really know what they're talking about. There's a lot of that on this board, so I'd recommend checking out other sites and not being frightened due to the frequently hateful comments on this particular board in regard to the RGV.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:51 PM

147 posts, read 352,800 times
Benitez - There are many corporations setting up shop in the international free trade area. I have no idea if they would be hiring American or Mexican accountants but you may want to see exactly which companies have offices in this area.
Midwestgal - My wife and I visited the RGV in July for a exploratory visit to see the area first hand. We are interested in purchasing a retirement home in the RGV. We contacted a real estate agent who showed us several homes that we had seen on real estate web sites. He was very courteous and spent a considerable amount of time with us even though he knew we weren't going to be buying anything in the immediate future. With the exception of Sharryland most neighborhoods seem to blend into each other as you go from one small town to the next.
As an RN you will have no problems finding employment especially if you are into either pediatrics or geriatrics. I would suggest that you and the husband come down for a week and stay in a hotel. Have a list of homes from the internet sites that are in your price range and to read the local paper on the internet, the McAllen Monitor is free on the web.
Best of luck to the both of you.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:47 AM

2 posts, read 5,687 times
yes we have family in Mcallen/Mission, and we have family in Monterrey, Mex which is about 3 hrs from McAllen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas