Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 10:09 PM

31 posts, read 50,028 times

Advertisements

I am trying to secure a job in texas for my husband and I.. Our job titles can go practically anywhere. He works for mcdonalds, and im a cna and cma so we are very well rounded with our careers. But our only problem is that alot of places wont even look at our resumes because we dont have a local address.

So my question to everyone is. If you have moved from a different state how did you secure a job before you left?
And if you did secure it may you please fill me in on how you did it, and how soon before your move did you do it?
Did you have to make a trip there in order for them to give you even a thought?

Please inform me and fill me in on all of the state moving secrets. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 07:01 AM

2,275 posts, read 4,010,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrz. riverz View Post
I am trying to secure a job in texas for my husband and I.. Our job titles can go practically anywhere. He works for mcdonalds, and im a cna and cma so we are very well rounded with our careers. But our only problem is that alot of places wont even look at our resumes because we dont have a local address.

So my question to everyone is. If you have moved from a different state how did you secure a job before you left?
And if you did secure it may you please fill me in on how you did it, and how soon before your move did you do it?

Please inform me and fill me in on all of the state moving secrets. Thanks in advance for your help.
Good luck - I only clicked on this because I was curious what your topic was - I really couldn't tell at a glance! Since your question is more general than TX-specific, you might try a different section of the forum - there is one on 'general moving issues' or something like that - and give a little more descriptive title like "Securing a Job Out of State" or something like that.

As I said - good luck - I haven't had to do that - but one day I might!

OH...you might consider the book "48 Days to the Work You Love" by Dan Miller - it does have a lot of tips on how to "get in the door" for employment consideration.

Last edited by Watchful; 12-31-2009 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: added last paragraph

Old 12-31-2009, 12:09 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,214,849 times
Since your husband already works for McDonald's he can probably go thru Corporate for a transfer and information on openings and possibilities at his level (crew? management?) in other areas of the country....their website also has information if you want to start there. He wouldn't have to let his direct supervisor know if he didn't want to.

As a CNA you should be able to get work anywhere....big demand and many employers will help you continue your education if you are interested. If you are bilingual that will increase your chances of employment but it is certainly not necessary. The rural areas will have much lower cost of living and many of them are glad to find people who have had experience in their fields so don't limit your search to the big cities unless that's just what you want.

Last edited by GayleTX; 12-31-2009 at 12:56 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 08:22 AM

240 posts, read 535,305 times
Quote:

I've read some of your other posts on CD in regard to your desire to move. First you need $$ to move. No less than $1500.00 or so. You may need to sell what possessions you have to help raise the $$$. Secure a place to live first, there are a few "pay by the week" motels in the Dallas area, cost you around $200-300 per week.

You may consider using Greyhound to get here, cost you at least $300 for that (I'm only guessing, so check costs first), as I read your car is broke down. Before moving, your husband can probably already have his transfer lined up, but you will again have the transportation issue as you have no car. Some areas do have public bus lines available.

After a couple of months, you can probably afford a cheap apartment, just be cautious of where it's located. You may qualify for Section 8 assistance for rental help also. As well as foodstamps,ADC, etc. until your established and on your feet.

For your employment, check out hospice services and centers, they are always looking for employees. Again, as you have a 1 1/2 year old, you have to consider child care, and may have to work a shift opposite your husband's to avoid child care costs.

If you're frugal and determined, within six months after your move, you should be able to again have a decent car, inexpensive apartment, and be on your way to a better life.

Good luck, we've "been there and done that."

Old 01-01-2010, 10:38 AM

11,816 posts, read 26,650,028 times
To work in Texas as a CNA, you will need to go ahead and get your reciprocity certificate. You cannot work in Texas on an out-of-state CNA certificate. Here's the website with the instructions: Nurse Aide Registry FAQs (DADS)

I'll be honest. I'm the HR Manager at a SNF. As a CNA, you will need to be here to meet with the Director of Nursing in person in order to get a job. We usually call one day to set up interviews for the next day when we have an opening. My facility will not hire an out-of-state person that we have never met unless they are an inter-company transfer.

So, you and hubby should either come down for a job hunting trip, or save up enough cash to get you through a couple of months of job-hunting and move down here.

Good luck!!!

Old 01-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,941,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Good luck - I only clicked on this because I was curious what your topic was - I really couldn't tell at a glance!
I just updated the title, which should help the thread get noticed by members who can help.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:18 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,767,424 times
The easiest ways are a corporate transfer from state-to-state or to network through a professional association so that you already have contacts before moving. My husband landed his job in Texas via professional contacts he made by attending conferences and interacting with professionals in his career field.

I wouldn't move anywhere if neither of you is employed in the new location unless you have 6 months to a year in living expenses just in case you experience difficulty landing employment.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:32 PM

31 posts, read 50,028 times
I found a job!!! Im so happy i found a job. Now we're movin on to finding an apartment. We wanna be n downtown dallas area because we would like to walk to almost everything. Dh job is transfering too so we're all set.

Can anyone help us with an apartment n downtown dallas our limit is $1000 a month for a two bedroom.. Do you think that's possible? We also may think we would need daycare. Not for sure about that yet we have to c what hours dh will be working but im so excited i dont no what to say..

We will be relocating at our own expense though but we will have first n last month rent as a security deposit.
Anybody with any ideas i would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you n advance.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:54 AM

67 posts, read 176,900 times
Default Dallas

From what I hear, Texas has a still pretty strong ecnonomy with jobs.. Stronger then most states, and I live in Florida.
Quote:
I found a job!!! Im so happy i found a job. Now we're movin on to finding an apartment. We wanna be n downtown dallas area because we would like to walk to almost everything. Dh job is transfering too so we're all set.

Can anyone help us with an apartment n downtown dallas our limit is $1000 a month for a two bedroom.. Do you think that's possible? We also may think we would need daycare. Not for sure about that yet we have to c what hours dh will be working but im so excited i dont no what to say..

We will be relocating at our own expense though but we will have first n last month rent as a security deposit.
Anybody with any ideas i would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you n advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas