U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 01-04-2010, 06:50 PM
 
4 posts, read 14,791 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Can someone who's from there please tell me the life in abliene tx? Like is there things to do there? Such as malls, movies, clubs and such for an 19 year old kid in the air force? I'm originally from Fort Worth,TX I got stationed at Shreveport, LA but I'm able to switch it to Dyess. And I would like Dyess because It would be closer to home, which i really want, but i dont want to be bored on my off time . I noticed Abilene has a lot of good resturants tho!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 PM
 
2,313 posts, read 1,866,055 times
Reputation: 1530
Abilene is a non stop 24 hour drunken orgy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Abilene, Texas
8,717 posts, read 4,487,103 times
Reputation: 55516
I'm an Abilene native and have lived here for a long time. Like you said, there are plenty of good restaurants to eat at. There are three very good movie theatres here. Two are the usual muticinema type and there's a really cool restored historic theatre downtown too that shows mostly classic movies. There is a nice sized shopping mall here if that's your thing. As far as the local club scene goes, when I was younger and lived here there were several good clubs to go to but I'm a lot older now and haven't done that in a long time so I'd have to let someone else give you more updated info on that. Anyway, good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 05:58 PM
 
4 posts, read 14,791 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I'm an Abilene native and have lived here for a long time. Like you said, there are plenty of good restaurants to eat at. There are three very good movie theatres here. Two are the usual muticinema type and there's a really cool restored historic theatre downtown too that shows mostly classic movies. There is a nice sized shopping mall here if that's your thing. As far as the local club scene goes, when I was younger and lived here there were several good clubs to go to but I'm a lot older now and haven't done that in a long time so I'd have to let someone else give you more updated info on that. Anyway, good luck to you!

nice information! is there a lot of shopping places? I like to buy a lot of clothes lol. Well thank you again for your information. I'll wait and see for more info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 08:36 AM
 
148 posts, read 207,977 times
Reputation: 85
Lots of shopping areas. The Mall of Abilene has over 80 stores. The Shops of Abilene is a fairly new shopping center and has clothing stores such as Ross Dress for Less, Old Navy, Bealls, and others that I can't think of right now. (My wife is the family shopper.) I know that we have the usual stuff in the Mall, Dillards, Penneys, Gap, etc. West of the Shops of Abilene is a fairly new Kohls. This is all in Southwest Abilene. The theatres in this area include one with 12 screens, one with 10 screens, and one with 6 screens. I live in Northeast Abilene, about as far as you can get from this area, and there is new development going on around our second Super Wal Mart and our second Lowes. (They are also in Southwest Abilene.) Construction and development in my area has slowed with the recent economic problems, but there is new constructions in the area--mostly eating places. I have grandkids who do the "club" scene and say there are plenty of good ones in the area, but I can't tell you what they are or where. You will only be bored if you choose to. There are things to do here. (By the way, I lived in Bossier City at one point in my life. The Shreveport/Bossier area is larger, but I don't think it has much more to do than Abilene. Of course, I lived there before the casinos were built.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 06:01 PM
 
4 posts, read 14,791 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by James2496 View Post
Lots of shopping areas. The Mall of Abilene has over 80 stores. The Shops of Abilene is a fairly new shopping center and has clothing stores such as Ross Dress for Less, Old Navy, Bealls, and others that I can't think of right now. (My wife is the family shopper.) I know that we have the usual stuff in the Mall, Dillards, Penneys, Gap, etc. West of the Shops of Abilene is a fairly new Kohls. This is all in Southwest Abilene. The theatres in this area include one with 12 screens, one with 10 screens, and one with 6 screens. I live in Northeast Abilene, about as far as you can get from this area, and there is new development going on around our second Super Wal Mart and our second Lowes. (They are also in Southwest Abilene.) Construction and development in my area has slowed with the recent economic problems, but there is new constructions in the area--mostly eating places. I have grandkids who do the "club" scene and say there are plenty of good ones in the area, but I can't tell you what they are or where. You will only be bored if you choose to. There are things to do here. (By the way, I lived in Bossier City at one point in my life. The Shreveport/Bossier area is larger, but I don't think it has much more to do than Abilene. Of course, I lived there before the casinos were built.)
Thank you so much, I'm going to be stationed in Dyess AFB, and I lived in Fort Worth, TX. So that's great because I can go home on my weekends and visit my family and friends since it's only 2 hours. Again thank you so very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Western Bexar County
3,823 posts, read 10,060,264 times
Reputation: 1787
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeezy View Post
Thank you so much, I'm going to be stationed in Dyess AFB, and I lived in Fort Worth, TX. So that's great because I can go home on my weekends and visit my family and friends since it's only 2 hours. Again thank you so very much!
Nothing like joining the Air Force to get away from home! The closest I ever got to home was 1200 miles.

I was stationed at Dyess AFB 1974-77 and I liked it, though there was a LOT less to do back then.

If you decide to stay in the AF, then suggest you go overseas and see the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 09:56 AM
 
2,313 posts, read 1,866,055 times
Reputation: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Nothing like joining the Air Force to get away from home! The closest I ever got to home was 1200 miles.

I was stationed at Dyess AFB 1974-77 and I liked it, though there was a LOT less to do back then.

If you decide to stay in the AF, then suggest you go overseas and see the world.
Agreed. Go to Osan and get your groove on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 06:12 PM
 
148 posts, read 207,977 times
Reputation: 85
I don't know if you "do" church, but Beltway Park Church on Loop 707 is filled with airmen and college kids your age. It might be a good place to meet people. They often have Christian rock concerts, for example. I don't go there, and this is just what I have heard from others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top