U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,098 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm currently a student at a university in Texas. I just started last semester. I'm trying to settle in Texas with getting a car and driver's license for a while now. I am very confuse about my situation.

I lived in Ohio before coming to Texas. During the winter break I came back to Ohio and took the driving test to get my license here. Since I have a permanent address here, and my parent helped me with the test, there wasn't a problem getting the license. Now I am not sure if I need to change my license to Texas one or not. Since I've been in Texas for a semester, it's already passed 30 days limit.

my question is
- Am I required to change to Texas license? I read from somewhere that you don't have to if you are a full time student who came from another state.
- If I am required to change to Texas license, would it be a problem that it's over 30 days limit since I started school already? I read some posts from here, seems like many people did that without a problem. Will they check how long you've been here?

And last one, I also bought a car in Texas with Texas plate and registration (which I am a co-owner with my parent) a while ago. I thought I would need the car to take the driving test there at the time, but that didn't work out well. (I know that was kinda stupid If I'd known all the steps I would have waited until I get my license to buy a car). Will this be a problem if I keep my Ohio license??

Thank you so much everyone for helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:17 AM

6,714 posts, read 15,502,116 times
If you do not have a permanent Texas residence, you do not need a Texas license. I will assume that means you're living in a dorm. If you are living in an apartment, that would be considered a permanent residence and you would need to obtain a license.

The 30 day rule is only a rule if you get pulled over. You can go to the DPS and get a license whenever you want.

As for the car, I'm not sure about. Typically, to pay the taxes, you need to be residing in that state... like you can't go to Oregon where there is no tax, and buy a car without showing you live there and are entitled to not paying taxes.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:48 PM

3,450 posts, read 15,722,272 times
I think you need to register the car in Ohio. The car doesn't need to be in Ohio. Your parents are the registered owners and they can take the Texas title to Ohio and have it registered in Ohio and get Ohio plates. Then you can have the car whereever you are going to school. it sounds like Ohio is your permannet address.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:46 AM

14,079 posts, read 15,924,682 times
Why not call the DPS license office and ask them about your license? They won't come and get you.

And, call your county tax accessor about the car.

Don't you think it would be better to get an answer from those who know, than to get opinions here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: