Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 01:20 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I think Bob's point was that a lot of rumors persist about Vidor and Jasper, that simply are not true. A lot of the posts relate events that happened before Nixon was president.

I still poke fun at Vidor since I am from the area, and the running jokes among locals are more about the gene pool rather than racial issues. One of the star football players on Vidor's football team was a black guy this past year. But to be honest, I am not white, and if absolutely forced (it would have to be life or death as I do enjoy suburban Houston), I would much rather live in Vidor than in the rough neighborhoods in Beaumont or Pt. Arthur. Heck a black person would be safer in Vidor than in the bad parts of Beaumont or Pt. Arthur. I've spent lots of time in the barrio (if you can call it that) of Beaumont and Pt. Arthur, and also the hood of East Orange. Today's Vidor does not compare in the least, and it gets national attention. Go figure.

^^^this

Daniel ... your welcome on my farm up here in rural East Texas anytime!!!

BTW, one of my good friends is from WOS (and he is a black dude) !!! shhhh ... *don't say it too loud* Great guy ... resp therapist at the hospital where I work!!!

Old 03-19-2012, 02:01 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
You dropped a couple of zeros which screwed your argument all to he11!

Prairie View, huh? Degree? Big difference in "70" and 7,000. Hope it's not a math or engineering major.

And you don't know anything personally about Vidor and you are making judgements ... tsk tsk !!! And you're defending your uninformed bigoted attitude toward the area. ! Maybe your thoughts are influenced by math weaknesses.

So she thinks in her experience in Texas that the blacks and latins are racist? Or bigots? Interesting. Still, though, her mental weaknesses proves little. She possibly could have influenced these folks calling her names with her attitude and they just lashed out. Who knows? I wasn't there. Bring her back ... I'll show her that some of these white East Texans have no preconceived notions.

... don't make this personal by insulting my intellegence or degree. For you to honestly say that 99% of people in ANY place have a set thought is either you being naive or really just trying to defend some of those who really are guilty. I'm pretty damn sure that it's not 99% of Vidor who purely has no racial/biggoted thoughts on the subject.

Second, my friend is black/latina and she recieved those remarks from WHITES and she lives in FW. She was called every degrading racial slur OF both races (like n*gger or sp*k). Also, exactly how do you know I HAVEN'T been to Vidor or seen the stares and discouraging looks? You know NOTHING about me and you're just making assumptions yourself. Did you really even read what I typed?

I could have a serious talk with anyone on this subject whether it be face to face or over a computer. But no matter what, I lose respect for anyone who warps my words into their own meanings. And it's even worse when people make smartass comments about me personally.

Last edited by JJG; 03-19-2012 at 02:11 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 03:58 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
... don't make this personal by insulting my intellegence or degree. For you to honestly say that 99% of people in ANY place have a set thought is either you being naive or really just trying to defend some of those who really are guilty. I'm pretty damn sure that it's not 99% of Vidor who purely has no racial/biggoted thoughts on the subject.
Not making it personal ... just pointing out how bad you math was and how your error changed the story. I thought it hilarious, really! On a public forum and all.

Quote:
Second, my friend is black/latina and she recieved those remarks from WHITES and she lives in FW. She was called every degrading racial slur OF both races (like n*gger or sp*k). Also, exactly how do you know I HAVEN'T been to Vidor or seen the stares and discouraging looks? You know NOTHING about me and you're just making assumptions yourself. Did you really even read what I typed?

Sorry ... misinterpreted your prose. But in truth I never hear those words in white or mixed groups or even in conversation on a 1:1 basis. Rough crowd y'all be hangin wit!

You are correct about me knowing nothing about you. So, tell us, how much time you spent in Vidor? I'd be interested in the depth of your experience(s).

Yes, I did read it. That is what has prompted my responses. How do you think I picked up on your math deficiency?

Take care!

Quote:
I could have a serious talk with anyone on this subject whether it be face to face or over a computer. But no matter what, I lose respect for anyone who warps my words into their own meanings. And it's even worse when people make smartass comments about me personally.
You are saying you won't respect me in the morning????

but there was no personal attack. Guess you are just overly sensitive.

Just defending East Texas from the haters.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:50 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times
Grow up in SE Texas...and i have had a few racial episodes here. I remember going to Boomtown in Vidor, TX years ago. When me and my brother entered the lake there was a woman that said "Yall get out of there N****S are in there YOU WILL GET SICK".

Another episode in Groves, TX. At the time i was in middle school. The YMCA in Port Arthur was closed for maintenance but me and my brother wanted to go swimming really bad. We herd by a few of our friends that the recreation center in Groves had a swimming pool. We decided to go. My mom dropped us off and warned us that she did not feel comfortable with us going there, but we begged and she dropped us off and told us she would be back in a few hours. As soon as mom dropped us off she left. Before we can enter the building 4 guys came out and said N*****S are not allowed here.

Racism is not just in SE or East, TX.. Its everywhere. I can tell you stories for days about growing up there.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:55 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Not making it personal ... just pointing out how bad you math was and how your error changed the story. I thought it hilarious, really! On a public forum and all.

Sorry ... misinterpreted your prose. But in truth I never hear those words in white or mixed groups or even in conversation on a 1:1 basis. Rough crowd y'all be hangin wit!

You are correct about me knowing nothing about you. So, tell us, how much time you spent in Vidor? I'd be interested in the depth of your experience(s).

Yes, I did read it. That is what has prompted my responses. How do you think I picked up on your math deficiency?

Take care!

You are saying you won't respect me in the morning????

but there was no personal attack. Guess you are just overly sensitive.

Just defending East Texas from the haters.
..... wow.

Well truth be told, if you feel the need to "defend" where you live on a public forum and take all those detractors seriously on an INTERNET forum and type up half a novel on just that, I think that would show just as much sensitivity on your part. But I digress.

I've been to Vidor, had to stop on the way to Louisiana. Gas station people gave us looks, not really as inviting. And of course, the lovely billboard along the highway with 'KKK' spray painting also didn't give it a good look.

However (and please, PLEASE actually read this) that doesn't discribe the entire town of Vidor or all of East Texas as racists. Just the fact that you would say 99% as if you honestly know what they ALL think is ridiculous. There is some truth in what those "haters" you feel you have to defend all of East Texas for. But getting on an internet forum and b*tching about that doesn't really help anything. People are gonna believe what they believe.

And as for this "math deficiency" you have the nerve to clown me on, point out what you're even talking about. Because I see it, and if it is what I think it is, then I'm not exactly the one with the deficiency, bro....

Last edited by JJG; 03-19-2012 at 05:31 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 01:54 AM

2 posts, read 18,208 times
Smile Vidor

to clarify vidor as of right now... I am mixed ethnicity (white & black) but if you looked at me you would assume i'm fully black... anyway my boyfriend (he is white) is from Vidor and currently lives there I pretty much do too and i never have any problems

Old 06-15-2012, 09:26 AM

998 posts, read 1,325,150 times
Vidor has pretty much been the standard when it comes to racial intolerance in Texas no matter what some choose to believe. Instead of trying to gloss over this fact, perhaps it would be more useful to look at the reasons why this obscure town acquired that well-deserved reputation. Why out of all the towns in Texas, vidor seems to keep coming up in these types of discussions?

http://articles.cnn.com/2006-12-08/u...rally?_s=PM:US

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...r-300-000.html

http://orangeleader.com/local/x68135...secondarystory

Last edited by marcopolo2000; 06-15-2012 at 09:36 AM..

Old 06-15-2012, 04:20 PM

74 posts, read 237,821 times
South Texas can be racist, like Brownsville and McAllen, Cities in East Texas like Vidor and Jasper then there are pockets of it everywhere....really depends what race you are to tell you what areas to for sure avoid.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:17 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Why out of all the towns in Texas, vidor seems to keep coming up in these types of discussions?
I spent a lot of time in the Golden Triangle for work-- just ask any native who has spent their lives that area about Vidor. Most contend it has gotten better, but it's definitely a popular little town for a reason.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:19 AM

405 posts, read 822,739 times
Anywhere in EAST Texas, which is the only part of the state that really looks and feels like the South, and the DEEP South at that!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas