Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Aw, come on guys - East Texas isn't so bad when it comes to racism.

I've lived and traveled all over the world, and all over the US, and I can assure you that Texas in general - and yes, even East Texas (where I currently live) is less racist than many other places - though there is room for improvement.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 PM

193 posts, read 340,234 times
Suburbs of Dallas and Houston can be said to have much more racism in comparison to East Texas. It's just the whites either, there is a lot social class sentiment in those areas.

A lot of it comes from spoiled baby boomers and their spoiled kids. Most of them are generally worthless to society, hence the constant clinging to race and class.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddoctor View Post
Suburbs of Dallas and Houston can be said to have much more racism in comparison to East Texas. It's just the whites either, there is a lot social class sentiment in those areas.

A lot of it comes from spoiled baby boomers and their spoiled kids. Most of them are generally worthless to society, hence the constant clinging to race and class.
Wow, way to stereotype - and you're slinging accusations of racism at others?

Tsk Tsk.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:38 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,544 times
Parts of Houston are very racist. Don't get caught being white in North Houston or Third Ward!

Old 07-04-2012, 10:50 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Parts of Houston are very racist. Don't get caught being white in North Houston or Third Ward!
Yeah, I dont know how the thousands of whites who choose to attend college every year in Third Ward seem to manage.

If you're attempting to work in some reverse racism angle, you're gonna have to do alot better than simply looking at non-white majority areas of Houston and projecting your own issues.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:59 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,441 times
I had no idea East Texas was considered the racism pocket of Texas. I kind of thought it was more the Panhandle. But the slavery was more prevalent in the East makes sense.

Racism will always be around. At least for good number of years now. Really the entire born in the 1900s generation dies off it'll still be around.

Because people born between 1920-1965 ish are still alive and kicking and remember the Civil Rights era. No matter your side, it was stressful. Those people were alive to influence the later generations born in the 70s-90s.

My 1930s born grandmother once told me about picking cotton with her siblings in rural Texas when she was a little girl. I was like WTF? I didn't even know people picked cotton after the 1900s especially not black people.

Even if you were born in the 1980s, your was really racist grandma who was born in the 1930s so was in her 30s and old enough to know better in the 60s was still alive and influenced your perception.

My parents were born in the 60s and still have vivid memories of segregation n Houston in the 1960s and the not too happy times right after integration. Those same little racist kids are in their 50s now. They remember what they did as kids.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:53 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,241 times
Let's not assume that one is racist simply based on them being "white" and born during a certain era. My mother was born in 1930. Her elder sisters used racist terms that made my skin crawl although they never acted racist toward someone directly that I saw. My mother was never that way. In her teens--1940s--she saw an elderly lady who worked for a friend's family. Knowing she was tired after a long day cleaning house my mother offered her seat on the bus. Of course it was segregated so it ended up scaring the poor lady but my mother just saw her as her elder and that it was what she should do. In the 60s she set my dad straight by pointing out it went against his Christian beliefs to be racist in any way. While I don't think he was ever particularly racist I certainly NEVER heard anything like that from him. I was born in 67 to parents born in 1930 and 1912 but certainly wasn't raised with racist thoughts. In contrast I know someone whose parents were born in the 1950s and I heard terms I didn't know existed from them. Their son isn't racist at all though.

As far as Houston and Texas in general I think compared to a lot of the south desegregation was handled better--at least in the cities. A few years back I read how Houston desegregated one night at an upscale restaurant with no protests. I also read San Antonio desegregated the lunch counters on a set day and all was done. I graduated in 85 in San Angelo and my friend from Kentucky was shocked we had "black" kids (her words) at my school because SHE was in the first group bused over to the "white" school in her town. I never went to a segregated school but my husband was bused to an inner city middle school in San Antonio from his middle class neighborhood. He played football so went to some parties over in the Courts. In fact most of his friends from high school aren't "white" even though that school wasn't totally inner city---back then at least.

That said I will say when my brother lived in deep East Tx my then SIL hit serious racism. She was Hispanic/Phillipino and people were nasty to her--to the point the principal at a private school they considered would only speak to my brother. I'm sure there are also nice unracist people there just like there are racist people everwhere.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:54 AM

98 posts, read 341,483 times
parts of West Texas arent too much better

Old 07-09-2012, 11:30 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,544 times
[quote=marcopolo2000;25028165]Yeah, I dont know how the thousands of whites who choose to attend college every year in Third Ward seem to manage.

If you're attempting to work in some reverse racism angle, you're gonna have to do alot better thian simply looking at non-white majority areas of Houston and projecting your own issues

I don't have to do better than that. I can let REALITY take care of it.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,134 times
An easier question would be which parts of Texas AREN'T racist.

It's not in your face, saying the n-word in public, type of racism. It's more of a subtle "I don't want to be around (insert minority groups)." type of racism. An area may be statistically diverse, but people won't socialize outside their own ethnicity. and yes, I did grow up in a VERY diverse area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas