Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:01 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
^^^Just about every I know (even my friends in Houston) find the summer heat in Dallas more tolerable than in Houston. Its the difference between being in a furnace or being in a steam room.
Well, then I'm an exception.
I'd rather have lower temperatures with more days of cloud-cover even if it comes along with higher humidity. Drive over to Galveston Island and the temperatures get even lower. The triple-digit temperatures of more inland Texas and constant sun beating down, everything drying up and turning brown is the greater of the two evils to me. But again, it's all kind of splitting hairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
It amazes me that people love to bicker over who has the more comfortable seat in the oven, it's ridiculous. Hot is Hot.
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 01:32 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,977,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
So Dallas gets like 14 days a year over 100. Big deal. I feel sorry for you if you lived in Arlington, Matt -but you don't have to take it out on the rest of us for the rest of your life.
I've lived in Dallas as well. No hard feelings.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:39 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Besides measurable things like job market, which of the large metros in Texas would you recommend?

Politically I’m independent, moderate-to-conservative. I like some sort of vitality in a city’s core. I’m not mad about ethnic segregation. I’m more formal than hip. I like women who make a minimum effort to look good, but I don’t like superficiality. I like politeness, but not passive-aggressiveness. I love sports. Scenery, easy-to-reach outdoors and some nearby body of water are plusses.

Thanks.
The fight over humidity is kinda funny.

I just want to offer a bit of Austin flavor to you.

Austin is said to be liberal but its all relative. Austin is in Texas and even if Travis county voted for Obama I think Austin is well represented by conservative minded people.

The city core is energetic. Live entertainment and restaurants of course - but the growth in condos, lofts, etc. continues.

Ethnic segration - Austin definitely has some - but I think much of it is voluntary. Some of it is economic. None of it is institutional.

Women and their looks - Texas has many beautiful women but I'd say Austin has a higher proportion of non-fussy fit women.

Formal vs. hip - not really sure what this means. But Austin is casual - at least in dress.

Politeness - I think almost everywhere in Texas people are polite and not aggressive (to me people in Boston or New Jersey are agressive).

Sports - do you want to watch or participate? In Austin we have only AAA baseball and the Longhorns. But if you want to do stuff outdoors Austin is very strong.

Water - Austin has the entire Highland Lakes chain nearby. Outstanding water quality and things to do.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:42 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scitats View Post
Why call me an idiot? Fact is, Houston doesnt get as much wind as Dallas, San Antonio, or Austin. It has below average wind speeds all year long, especially in the summer, while the others have above average during the summer. Ill let you find Houston.
Not intending to defend fueoma or further criticize you, but when you post data and facts, usually it's to support an argument. Your graph proves nothing except that you know how to look for information for the national average of wind speeds. Your graph didn't even specify which city you're comparing the national average to.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:46 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Not intending to defend fueoma or further criticize you, but when you post data and facts, usually it's to support an argument. Your graph proves nothing except that you know how to look for information for the national average of wind speeds. Houston and the rest of Texas are what's being discussed here, not the entire Unites States.
But at the same time the graphs do show that Houston is quite a bit more humid than the others. I dont really consider it a bad thing, just a fact of being on the coast.

Im still stumped as to why you Texans argue about stupid c**p like trees, humidity, skylines, hills, etc. The typical argument sounds like:

Houston: Were better because we have more trees
Dallas: We have trees too and we have hills, so were better
Austin: Were better because were different and if you dont recognize it, we will tell you were different until you believe it
Fort Worth/San Antonio: I cant believe we have to share a state with these yahoos.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:57 PM

Anyway, back on topic to the O/P, it all depends on what you're into. All 4 texas big metros have something to offer in their own right. They're all hot and uncomfortable in the summer. Austin, S/A, and southwest of Dallas have hills. North of Houston is forested with slight rolling hills and quick easy beach access south of Houston.

As far as race, Austin and Dallas are more segregated. Houston is more integrated with the exception of River Oaks. San Antonio has more of a spanish flare but probably the most active and fun downtown in all of Texas. Dallas has Fort Worth to offer western charm in its metro. Houston has nearby Galveston.

The only way you're going to be sure which metro is for you is to come down and pay each place a visit. You better plan on a week minimum because Texas is so big and each metro offers plenty.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
But at the same time the graphs do show that Houston is quite a bit more humid than the others. I dont really consider it a bad thing, just a fact of being on the coast.

Im still stumped as to why you Texans argue about stupid c**p like trees, humidity, skylines, hills, etc. The typical argument sounds like:

Houston: Were better because we have more trees
Dallas: We have trees too and we have hills, so were better
Austin: Were better because were different and if you dont recognize it, we will tell you were different until you believe it
Fort Worth/San Antonio: I cant believe we have to share a state with these yahoos.
Ok, i'm not seeing the comparison with Houston in those graphs unless i'm automatically supposed to know what Houston's wind factor is.

And as far as us Texans arguing, you are basically saying the same thing that i said in the close of my post on page 2 post #28.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:14 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,140 times
Does DFW have much water activities? I have a very good chance of moving down there in end of Feb. (Fort Worth) Also is FW really that much more western than the others? Would a northerner have much trouble adapting?

Old 01-26-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
Does DFW have much water activities? I have a very good chance of moving down there in end of Feb. (Fort Worth) Also is FW really that much more western than the others? Would a northerner have much trouble adapting?
I'm not sure about the water activities. I hear some good things about White Rock Lake and yes, Ft Worth has that western flare about it distinctive from other cities. The downtown area seems pretty modern and upbeat and the Texas Stockyards is a few miles south.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:50 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,977,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
Yes, Fort Worth is very much a western city with its honky tonks & steak houses, but a cosmopolitan style western if that makes any sense. Its offers all of the same amenities Dallas & Houston do, but in a smaller, more laid back setting. In other words a large city with a small town feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas