Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:44 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineCoonlover View Post
Is that another euphemism for "third world"? If so, I would disagree. McAllen is very suburban in feel, with sprawling strip malls which range in upper to middle to upper class in feel. Alot of the area is new and feels it. There are many developments which are new and which are quite nice. McAllen,Harlingen and Brownsville have thriving arts districts and their downtowns are very pleasant. Brownsville, being older has the historic downtown. The arts and culture district in McAllen is thriving. Our new Convention Center is an example. Nightlife downtown is expanding but is not burgeoning like San Antonio. You can walk around downtown at night and not feel unsafe. That's not true for many urban areas. Though large in area and combined population, McAllen is not big city and we are not directly on the border as is Brownsville. Sure, there are impoverished pockets and "colonias" like San Juan.

GGuerra, are you citing the metropolitan area figure as being 741,152? Hidalgo County? Because the city of McAllen proper only has something like just over 110,000. You can check me on that. That figure is way too high for just McAllen, that would place us up with San Antonio's population.

As an example of the wealth, notice the stately homes and mansions directly north of 83 freeway, wedged in the boundary of Jackson and McColl. These are sprawling estates, and many are original landowners. I do not think of it (McAllen) as a "welfare state" at all. I think of Stockton, CA more of a welfare state than it is here. (If you knew Stockton, you'd instantly know the definition of "welfare state".) Or areas in Mississippi or communities in the Appalachian region or within Detroit or Gary, Indiana. Those are "welfare states" because they have zero job growth and the jobs have left or were never there to begin with. The area is nice right now, but is slated to to grow, possibly exponentally. It is not a question of "if" but "when" the interstate highways are built, including one beltway around McAllen. Nothing about McAllen has the look and feel of third world to me. Calling this area a "welfare state" is painting it with a very broad brush indeed!

McAllen is more of a satellite or branch of San Antonio. Our area was listed as the only one in the nation to show a growth in jobs this year on a national level. McAllen benefits from heavy cross border traffic and industry. Many companies are relocating to the Texas side due to the increasing violence those cities (Reynosa, Matamoros etc.).

The RGV is known for its impoverished colonias (pockets of poverty) but that is not characteristic of the entire area.
The RGV is known for its pockets impoverished colonias? If anything is in pockets in McAllen, it's wealth. I wouldn't say the Valley is like a 3rd world country, however the income disparity is very similar. The average household income in McAllen is a little more than 36,000. The only reason it is this high is because of the wealthier people in north McAllen that skew the overall average.

As for job growth, it's always retail, restaurant, retail, restaurant. Every year there are whispers of company X planning to relocate to the Valley that never come to fruition. Sadly, the main reason for this is the sheer lack of people that have college degrees, much less high school diplomas.

The other thing you mention is "if and when" the highways are built. This is true of pretty much everything down there. How long have they had those signs up stating "future corridor of I-69"? More than a decade now. When will Hidalgo country grow? It has, but mostly due to illegal immigration and Catholicism.

I don't see how you can say I'm painting the area with a broad brush when nearly 100 percent of the schools offer their students free breakfast regardless of the student's family income. Don't you think it says a lot when the state has decided it's much easier to do it this way? Ever notice all the white credit cards with the little star on them people use to pay for food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:27 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Ever notice all the white credit cards with the little star on them people use to pay for food?
i've always wanted a lone star card... i could throw one hell of a government funded bbq.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:16 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,949,008 times
I have a card like that from my bank!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I have a card like that from my bank!
yeah. so do i. but apparently i have to work for someone, who then gives the bank money, who lets me use it.

i'd MUCH rather just let the government pay for my good times.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:27 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineCoonlover View Post
GGuerra, are you citing the metropolitan area figure as being 741,152? Hidalgo County? Because the city of McAllen proper only has something like just over 110,000. You can check me on that. That figure is way too high for just McAllen, that would place us up with San Antonio's population.
I certainly wouldn't make it up

Google "Metro area populations" click on the first link and read for yourself. Click on entry #70 for the following info. It is a Wiki article but the data is based on US Census estimates.

Apparently it is the whole country (Hidalgo). I pasted the article here

Quote:
The McAllen–Edinburg–Mission Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), as defined by the United States Census Bureau, is an area consisting of one county – Hidalgo – in the Rio Grande Valley region of South Texas, anchored by the cities of McAllen, Edinburg, and Mission. As of the 2000 census, the MSA had a population of 569,463 (though a July 1, 2009 estimate placed the population at 741,152).[1]
It has the lowest per capita income of the 276 MSA's within the 50 states at $9,899. Its median household income is also the lowest within the 50 states at $24,863.

Counties

Communities

Cities

Census-designated places

Note: All census-designated places are unincorporated.
Unincorporated places

This $24,863 figure might reflect the year 2000 estimates but it really contradicts the $36,000 crbcrbrgv claims in the above post.

Last edited by gguerra; 04-15-2010 at 12:36 PM..

Old 04-15-2010, 04:14 PM

36,000 is an estimate for the city of McAllen per household in 2008. If anything, your post strengthens my point rather than contradicting it.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:06 AM

6 posts, read 41,473 times
I'm new to this, but whoever answered crbcrbrgv has a burr under his saddle. Whispers of company x? There have been literally dozens of companies that have opened in the past half dozen years. Yes, there's poverty here. Name one city where there's not. But give McAllen the credit it's due. It's growing, and not just because of "illegal immigration and Catholocism." That's a pretty dark thing to throw out there with no proof.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:38 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy HSM View Post
I'm new to this, but whoever answered crbcrbrgv has a burr under his saddle. Whispers of company x? There have been literally dozens of companies that have opened in the past half dozen years. Yes, there's poverty here. Name one city where there's not. But give McAllen the credit it's due. It's growing, and not just because of "illegal immigration and Catholocism." That's a pretty dark thing to throw out there with no proof.
Actually Nancy it is crbcrbrgv the one who made the statement "illegal immigration and Catholocism". I live in McAllen and I like it otherwise I would have moved a long time ago.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy HSM View Post
Certainly many of the immigrants are legal and I was being a bit glib in my generalization, however my point is people from the United States generally are not moving to the Valley. Furthermore, Catholicism caused the first generation of Poles, Irish, Italians and other nationalities to swell where they were concentrated and the same thing is happening with Mexicans in Hidalgo county.

Generally, the only Valley natives that stay after obtaining a higher education are those that grew up in wealthier areas of McAllen/Sharyland etc. in the first place. Those that grew up in the colonias and poorer cities leave. In my opinion, this is what contributes to the compadreism and group think that permeates throughout the Valley.

Although the Valley is growing in numbers, it is not really growing. People will argue that downtown McAllen's revitalization and the recent construction of the outlet mall in Mercedes are proof of growth when in reality these areas were built for the Mexican Nationals. Without the Mexican Nationals, the Valley suffers dearly. During this ongoing drug war, McAllen retailers have been hit especially hard.

As for proof, I lived in the area for 7 years and saw this and I see it every time I come down to visit family.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
During this ongoing drug war, McAllen retailers have been hit especially hard.

As for proof, I lived in the area for 7 years and saw this and I see it every time I come down to visit family.

yeah... the drug war is not stopping mexican nationals from coming up to shop. at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas