Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:22 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Whats this "Keep Houston Ugly" thing I keep hearing about?
"Keep Houston Dirty" sounds much better! You know, as in the Dirty South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Then do us the huge service of never claiming to like Dallas ever again if you feel that way. You often do that as a way to help make youre point.

Just come out and say you hate the place. We all know you do.
I've lived in Dallas before & its not for me. It doesn't fit my attitude & lifestyle at all. I much prefer the more laid back, coastal setting. Its just right now I'm stuck living life back here in my hometown of Tyler (which isn't as bad as it seems)...for now anyways.

I do thoroughly enjoy visiting friends & hanging out in Dallas, however. Its a cool city, just not to live in, kinda like LA I guess.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:52 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I've lived in Dallas before & its not for me. It doesn't fit my attitude & lifestyle at all. I much prefer the more laid back, coastal setting. Its just right now I'm stuck living life back here in my hometown of Tyler (which isn't as bad as it seems)...for now anyways.

I do thoroughly enjoy visiting friends & hanging out in Dallas, however. Its a cool city, just not to live in, kinda like LA I guess.
And I commend you for why youre in Tyler. Its honorable, but it seems like you talk down about Dallas alot. I can understand not wanting to live there, alot of people dont.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:45 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
I really doubt that anyone would be jealous of someone who lived in Austin over Dallas. Do people really break down why they think the way they do? Again, Dallas has a higher crime rate, because its a much larger city in population and area. Austin's crime rate has been rising over the years especially on the east and southeast parts of town. Again, i simply laugh when Austin claims to be a "green city"

Again, the city of Austin is trainwreck for the most part. What is the number one thing that causes pollution in this country? Vehicles and powerplants. Austin has few powerplants, but it has tons of vehicles. The largest most innefficent vehicles in the nation. So, sitting in traffic causes horrible levels of pollution to occur. So lets take a look at how green Austin is.

1.) Austin and the state rewards people who buy gas guzzling pickups by giving them a tax break on their purchase.

2.) The most pollution these huge vehicles put out is while sitting in stop and go traffic. Traffic is near gridlock in this city and Austin has no plans to improve its road system.

3.) The city of Austin has the worst public transportation system in the nation (actually capital metro is known throughout the country as a disaster financially and economically) I have worked in other cites with their transportation systems in Colorado Springs, and Kansas City and that is how I first heard about Austin....A good, solid network of buses and light rail would make it easier for people to ride to work and create less pollution. Cap Metro has no plans to improve this...you only hear them whine about "we're in debt, WA WA WA WA" "We're in a financial shortfall WA WA WA" The city of Austin has done nothing about this.

4.) The city of Austin has few bikes lanes and even fewer paved trails set aside for bikers throughout the city. KC and Tulsa, two cities which would never claim to be green probably have 3 times the paved bike trails that Austin does) With Austin's warmer climate, and flat terrian, it could be a great way for people to commute to work. The city of Austin won't spend any money for this.

5.) THe city of Austin rewards rich people by trying to bring them all downtown, and says "the hell" with everyone else who are sitting in traffic with their gas guzzling vehicles.

I would probably say that few cities in the nation are LESS GREEN than Austin. I guess that is what frusterates me so much. The city of Austin is such a trainwreck that it literally makes up lies to cover of its massive shortcomings which are HUGE.

3.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
It's true that most Austinites are not very jealous of people from Dallas, but many Austinites are also prone to statements amounting to, "Isn't it awesome that we live in Austin! You know, the best city in Texas? At least we don't live in Dallas or Houston! We're so weird!" People get a bit tired of hearing Austin toot its own horn all of the time. Nothing wrong with being happy with where you live, but after a certain point Austin is actually not that different from Dallas insofar as its a regular sprawly Texas city.

While I could never see myself living in Dallas or Houston (lived in Houston for a short time and have visited Dallas for museums) I wish Austin had something akin to DART. Austin flouts its "green" credentials, but has one of the most atrocious public transportation systems imaginable. In my opinion a big part of being a "green" locale means offering meaningful, efficient mass transit that all citizens can enjoy regardless of income or location. I am a huge fan Dallas and Fort Worth's museum offerings. I would love to make a trip to see the Kimball. Two of the most memorable exhibits I've seen (Catherine the Great and Bodyworlds) were both in Dallas. (Wasn't the King Tut exhibit there also when it toured?) And I'm told the food scene in Dallas is supposed to be a bit more varied than Austin's. Also, if you like pro sports Dallas has the edge there, but a lot of people make do with UT's offerings. I wouldn't mind being able to see a real professional sports team every now and then without to plan around a three hour trip, but that's just me. I'm not crazy about live music or getting drunk with a bunch of college kids, so Austin's night life offerings don't appeal to me any more. Been there done that. I'm a staid old fuddy-duddy who likes museums, plays, nice dinners, symphony in the park, stuff like that.

Austin and Dallas are different things for different people. You could be happy in either place I imagine. Again, it depends on what your expectations are and what you want.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:34 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Again, Dallas has a higher crime rate, because its a much larger city in population and area.

This is nonsense. I am talking about per capita. Dallas has a higher violent crime rate per capita than Austin. Period.

Per capita is the only relevant measure.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:48 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Then Dallas had to be cool too & moronically come up with "Keep Dallas Plastic".
Quote:
Whats this "Keep Houston Ugly" thing I keep hearing about?
It's actually "Keep Houston Boring" and it's a tongue-in-cheek that came about because all of these nitwits in other states try to say this seriously, as if the nation's 4th largest city had nothing to do. It's a big joke basically...

Old 02-04-2010, 12:42 PM

380 posts, read 642,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
Funny, I chose to move to Austin out of anywhere in the U.S. and I consider the whole "Austin Weird" thing to be one of Austin's downsides.
The most ironic aspect of the "keep austin weird" idiocy is that Austin isn't weird; you'll find some artsy neighborhoods but Dallas, Houston, etc have them too.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:43 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
The most ironic aspect of the "keep austin weird" idiocy is that Austin isn't weird; you'll find some artsy neighborhoods but Dallas, Houston, etc have them too.
And MORE of them......i never understood this...to me dallas has always had more of everything that austin is known for.....to me the whole city of austin is equivilent to....uuh lets see..... las Colinas!

Old 02-05-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
And I commend you for why youre in Tyler. Its honorable, but it seems like you talk down about Dallas alot. I can understand not wanting to live there, alot of people dont.
Tyler is getting better as it continues to grow. Its over 100,000 in the city right now & between 200,000-250,000 in the metro area, depending on how you calculate it. Smith County just recently went wet after 70 some odd years & more surrounding towns & suburbs are following suit. Tyler offers an excellent dining scene for a city its size, & most of the amenities found in larger cities such as Dallas, Houston, & Shreveport can be found here. The medical centers here are first rate with the only Level 1 trauma center in all of East Texas. If it can be treated in Dallas or Houston, it can be treated here. The only thing we are missing however is a Children's hospital, which I suspect will come to fruition in the coming years. The nightlife could use a real boost, but Dallas is just 1 1/2 hours away for clubs & Shreveport is just 1 1/2 hours away for gambling. If I wanna get away, all I have to do is hop on a flight from Tyler's airport to Dallas or Houston via AA or Continental, which both offer daily flights to & from both cities.

Tyler & all of East Texas has some of the most beautiful scenery in the entire state. Many outdoor activities can be enjoyed here for free.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:55 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
I still cannot believe eepstein continues to live in Austin since he absolutely despises it. I guess though he likes and values his job more.

I have no axe to grind with Dallas. I know it works for people.

eepstein rants about the same things over and over - and most of it is his own perspective, not objective by any standard.

Facts:

Per capita violent crime is lower in Austin and has been for years. It is also steady, not going up. Based on 2008 data, Dallas' murder rate is 4 times as high as Austin.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for "green" concerns, both cities have improving air quality, but Austin clearly has fewer unhealthy days:

http://www.epa.gov/cgi-bin/broker?_s...ycounty=county

One measure of "green" is the city's "sustainability" rating. Dallas scores 24th to Austin's 13th.

Dallas - 2008 US Cities Sustainability Ranking by SustainLane.com

Austin - 2008 US Cities Sustainability Ranking by SustainLane.com

eepstein likes to claim that Austin is somehow full of gas guzzlers. That makes almost no sense at all - Texas is the land of big vehicles in general. But he refuses to acknowledge that Austin has the highest per capita sales of hybrids in Texas. Austin is the only Texas city in the top 15. Dallas buys more hybrids - but I hope so since it is 3 times larger than Austin. He also doesn't seem to understand that the V8 in the S-class Mercedes so popular with the north Dallas (or Austin Westlake) crowd pollutes just as much as a Chevy Tahoe.

September 2009 Dashboard: End of Clunkers Hurts Hybrids | Hybrid Cars

Dallas has many things Austin doesn't have. If those things are important to you - Dallas may be a better choice. But don't rely on eepstein to help you make a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas