Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:07 PM

164 posts, read 460,473 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
we are in the process of relocating to the states from Scotland but having a real problem deciding where to go! I have been reading lots about Texas and it would seem like a really great place. The one thing that concerns me a bit (and I dont wish to be rude!) but in my info gathering, there appears to be a lot of folk saying Texas doesnt have much scenery and is very flat.

We lived in Florida for a year a few years ago, and admittedly, we did miss the hills, heather, mountains and lochs and Florida is also very flat.

In scotland we have some absolutely stunning scenery...really quite breathtaking, and whilst we dont appreciate it whilst living here, you can be guaranteed we'll miss it when we dont have it! (typical eh?) So the main thing concering me about Texas is that because it sounds SO different from what we're used to in terms of natural beauty etc etc, we may find it all the more difficult to settle and homesickness will prevail (thats what happened when in Florida!)
Do I have this wrong? Can those who know the state hold me corrected? Would really appreciate thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 05:32 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Texas has its own kinds of natural beauty. The only other place (besides New Orleans) where I have arrived and immediately had that feeling of "Home!" was Scotland (and as it happens, I turn out to love not only Single Malt Scotch, but haggis, as well). Of course, that might just be the good Scots blood from five or six or seven generations ago calling out to its homeland, but it sure felt right to me!

It won't be identical to where you come from. You'll have some lightly rolling hills and trees and more green in East Texas where I grew up amongst the piney woods (the north part - it's flatter to the south down towards the coast), you could have the Hill Country in Central Texas, but nowhere near as green in the same way as Scotland. There's Big Bend, of course, but it's not terribly populated. You might find something like what you'd like in North Texas up north of Denton (there's an area that is called "little Colorado" by the folks that live there). For lochs you'd have to make do with the Highland Lakes, say, or Caddo Lake (the only non-manmade lake in Texas).

If it helps, those ancestors from generations back that ended up in Texas? Were by no means alone in being Scots that got here and decided to stay.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:50 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Texas is roughly 800 miles X 900 miles and it's terrain varies greatly. I'm sure you'll find whatever you want here, from the deep Piney Woods of East Texas to the desolate high plains of the Panhandle to the monotony of the Coastal Plain to the green hills of the Hill Country to the desert and rock moutains of far West Texas. We have whatever you're looking for.

Just let us know what you want, and we'll steer you that way.

ps: Remember that most people's perception of Texas is gleaned from old movies, a good many of which were actually filmed in Arizona.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:55 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Take a visit to the Texas Travel Guide. You'll see we have some hills and you might see some mountains in the distance. As the Texas Horse Lady says, Texas has its natural beauty.

There is a Scottish Clan Gathering (http://www.ctam-salado.org/Gathering/Gathering.htm - broken link) in an old Texas town, Salado, a couple of hours south of Dallas, about an hour north of Austin.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:58 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Yep, Salado is about five minutes from my house! There's a clan museum there, too.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:00 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Scotland is where we tall good looking guys here in Tx ancestors migrated from. You will like the people, very friendly and IMO just like the good people from Scotland.

You might rent for awhile and explore where you'd like to settle or if TX is right for you.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:58 AM

Thanks for your replies guys...I'll check out the areas you've suggested I dont want to be one of those who move into a different country then do nothing but moan about how different everything is and how much lovelier it is back home !...there is nothing that annoys me more when we have immigrants over HERE who say "oh this is nothing like back home"....my response? "well sod off back there then!!!" lol If you move to a different country, you can't expect that country to be the same and its not fair to compare! You accept the new country as it is, or else move back to the one you came from *affirmative nod* But it certainly helps if we can chose the right place and at least minimise the culture shock where possible

Old 02-12-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Scotland is where we tall good looking guys here in Tx ancestors migrated from. You will like the people, very friendly and IMO just like the good people from Scotland.

You might rent for awhile and explore where you'd like to settle or if TX is right for you.

Yeah we're all gorgeous

I have an old school chum who lives in San Antonio Tx now and she promises to give me a call this weekend to fill me in on all that Texas has to offer a scots lass

Old 02-12-2010, 07:07 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
My paternal Grandpa was of Scottish descent. His Grandparents came from Scotland to Alberta, Canada. My Grandpa's mother moved from Alberta, Canada to Tyler, Tx. My Grandpa also lived in South Texas (Pleasanton), where my dad and his sisters and brothers were born and grew up. Houston, Austin, Tyler area and a few other places near or along the Gulf Coast seem to have a pretty large number of people with Scottish ancestry.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:37 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times
I think the biggest adjustment someone coming from Scotland would experience is the difference in summer weather conditions, regardless of where in Texas one travels that time of year. Winter weather would be less of a difference.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas