Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 08:26 AM

332 posts, read 448,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Of course it does.

I think you mean Hurricane Katrina scared so many Houstonians. Don't act like it was only Houston that had to evacuate as well. All of SW Louisiana did as well. When you have 2.5 million people leaving town at one time, of course you are going to have traffic jams. People as far north as Livingston got damage. I don't think the evacuation will be as worse as Rita. Rita was as powerful as any hurricane will ever be.

It depends on what side of League City you are on. Not all of it are in the floodplain (like the NASA side). The only parts by the floodplains are along Galveston Bay. People said last year was going to be bad, too. How many hurricanes did we see then?

It probably is.

Yeah, but in San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas you have to worry about flash floods a lot (you could even say more than Houston). Especially in the hills, when the water can't be absorbed by the ground because it is all rock. Dallas has a lot of tornadoes (severe thunderstorm warning have been going on all week again). A major hurricane hasn't hit Houston since Alicia in 1984. People like to believe that Houston gets hit by a big one every other year or so. That isn't the case.

LOL, no it isn't. The closer you are to the water, the more humidity there is, but it isn't close to being sauna-like. It doesn't rain almost every day either. Houston has a lot of sunshine days. I won't say it never rains, but it doesn't rain all day when it does.

I never once felt like living in Louisiana when I was in Houston. Some parts of the far eastern suburbs feel like Louisiana. But suburbs like League City, Sugar Land, Katy, Cypress, The Woodlands, Atascosita, Humble, well basically a semi-circle around the eastern suburbs, don't feel like Louisiana at all. There are a lot of people with accents in Houston, too. You have to remember that Houston is Texas' most international and multi-cultural city. You will hear more here than anywhere else in the state.

I doubt it. They aren't that far apart.

With the excellent Park and Ride system, he shouldn't have a problem. The driver's can be bad, but they aren't close to being the nation's worse. The roads are NOT awful. They are very modern (moreso than San Antonio, Austin, and many parts of southern Dallas). Potholes are not a big problem in many places. The city is repaving many roads that have them.

Yeah they do. I never once almost got into an accident because someone didn't yield. It has actually only happened to me here in Arlington. There are not a lot of pedestrian-vehicle accidents either. I will have to go and get the stats on that.

This isn't true. Large sections are not always closed. I don't know how you can flat out lie like this. The roads in Houston are not that bad.

I have never been in a hit-and-run in Houston at all before. I have gotten into an accident, but we both pulled over to the side of the road.

There aren't even many swamps around here, only by the port in suburbs like Highlands, Texas. The area where the topic starter will be leaving in is clean as can be. Nothing reminiscent of a swamp. The same with the other Houston suburbs I named earlier in the post.
Yeah it was even people here in Waco (2-3hrs north of Houston) Evacuating lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 08:39 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimacus View Post
Well my wife found a school in SA that she really likes, and found these lofts downtown that she wants to move into. I told her I dont think most places downtown will allow a dog. We have 78 days till we pack our car up and leave this overpriced state. Both cities have there pluses and minuses but me and my wife came to what sounds like a good plan, she wants to goto school in SA then after graduation, move to Houston near the Medical Center where RN's get paid higher. I just have no idea what I am going to do for a job in SA.
That is actually a great plan, and one that many follow (school in SA, career in Houston). As far as the job search, keep your eyes peeled and I'm sure you'll find something great! I'm in the same boat on finding a job... there seems to be tons out there though!

Old 08-04-2007, 08:45 AM

81 posts, read 332,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfansatown View Post
san antonio has a charm and beauty all its own. the summers are hot, but if you are into that, then this is your place. the fall and spring are great weather, and the winters are mild. the gas is about 2.79 a gallon right now. the groceries are cheap compared to other big cities. it's a big city that feels like a small town. you're close to austin, not far from houston, a 5 hour drive from dallas, and a 2.5 hour drive to the coast. we have canyon lake and other lakes less than an hour away. our downtown is charming and i believe offers lots of fun. it feels like a small town but is a big city.

every big and growing city has construction growing pains. we can live with it. i truly can't imagine leaving.
I LOVE San Antonio..but I crack up when people say it's like a small town. People that say that have never lived in a small town. I don't live in a small town, grew up in a town of 100,000..and San Antonio doesn't even have a small town feel to ME.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:36 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
Yeah it was even people here in Waco (2-3hrs north of Houston) Evacuating lol
Waco is like four or five hours away from Houston.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:37 PM

82 posts, read 614,427 times
Well we decided on the Fort Worth area, my wife grandparents own a vacation house in Weatherford and we are staying there for a couple months to save money to buy a house. Her job will be in the Benbrook area of Fort Worth, and nursing school will be in Weatherford or Benbrook. Now after she graduates we may make the jump to San Antonio. We have to pick up a friend in San Antonio Sept. 1st so will be visiting for the day then be driving to Galveston to hop onto a carnival cruise ship. We move in 21 days

Old 08-04-2007, 10:22 PM

184 posts, read 863,057 times
Fort Worth is wonderful and so is San Antonio. I've lived in SA before and now live in Fort Worth. Both cities have a LOT to offer and each have their own but different charm. I have only driven through Houston so I can't comment on anything but that but I swear it felt like you drove and drove and drove and drove and drove to get through Houston.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:32 PM

3 posts, read 8,863 times
Thumbs up It's San Antonio - by a mile

Anything near San Antonio is way superior to anything in Houston simply because it' smaller, has nice neighborhoods, lots of entertainment, great shopping, good weather, friendly people. I've lived in Houston several times and now have lived near, and worked in, San Antonio for the past 8 years and believe me there is no comparison. Outskirts and nearby cities are near enough to commute and better than in the city itself. Lots of jobs, the pay is maybe not as high as in Houston but cost of living and less stress makes it worth while. Wish you luck.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:41 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
There aren't many companies that are located in San Antonio though. The biggest employers are at&t, Frost Bank, H.E.B., Valero Energy, and USAA. One member moved back to the Palm Springs area after living in San Antonio for a few months. One reason was the low, depressed wages. San Antonio is just a tourist town but actually livable, unlike the sleaze of Las Vegas.

Houston is like the Los Angeles in the LA-LV comparison. More populated, more business, and the one on the coast. Then on weekends or on holidays, they go to San Antonio to enjoy.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:24 AM

1 posts, read 864 times
I am 50 years old about to relocate to Texas....I will be living alone for a few months until my husband joins me. I am looking for an apartment in a safe area and job in the medical field. I am undecided in which city San Antonio or Houston. My husband and I were married in San Antonio but it was just a week visit ... now we want to relocate from Richmond, VA any suggestions for the older crowd

Old 10-21-2013, 06:28 AM

161 posts, read 227,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpus2relocate View Post
I am 50 years old about to relocate to Texas....I will be living alone for a few months until my husband joins me. I am looking for an apartment in a safe area and job in the medical field. I am undecided in which city San Antonio or Houston. My husband and I were married in San Antonio but it was just a week visit ... now we want to relocate from Richmond, VA any suggestions for the older crowd
All I can tell you is we are 51 and cannot wait to move away from San Antonio. It has been a huge disappointment for us, although I realize many people love it. Had I to do it over, we would be living in The Woodlands or Katy, but that boat sailed. We're moving out of the relentless heat here back to the mid-west with four seasons.
It could very well be that you would love it here, but just know that visiting is nothing compared to actually living here. Incomes are low, there is a big problem with littering and graffiti, among other things. The locals attack you like sharks if you bring these things up.
The medical field is one area that you would be able to find jobs in, but I wouldn't live around what is considered "the medical area". We have friends there; he is in law enforcement, and I'm not impressed with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas