Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 03:55 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,663,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Move to Houston. Dallas is bland, culture-less and racist.
Dallas isnt any of those things.

Dallas is newer to diversity than Houston is. Houston has been diverse for years, Dallas didnt start becoming diverse until the 90's or so.

I find living in Dallas similar to living in Chicago (the public transit obviously isnt as good). In Chicago and Dallas (lived in one and live in the other) people like being around other people like them. I dont really know that there is anything wrong with that. On the whole Houston is more diverse, but it also had a 50 year head start on that. Houston is the international trade city with the port in Texas and Dallas is the financial city in Texas. Dallas is also more fragmented than Houston. Houston is also more country and more southern. Thats certainly not bad, just the way it is. In the professional world, you are alot more likely to see the boots and jeans crowd (due to the oil industry no doubt). Dallas is alot more dressy and bit more shallow.

To the OP, you might like Houston better, but Ill warn you not to expect to live like you did in the east coast. Like Dallas, Houston has its strong points and its weak points. Houston is more international and more laid back Houston. Houston has more people, but alot of areas of Houston are as suburban as the suburbs in Dallas (Bunker Hill leaps to mind).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 04:57 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,121,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
This part of the country is newer and was settled differently than the east coast. When I was a kid we had Little Mexico and that was about the closest thing we had to an ethnic enclave. On the east coast, the major ethnic groups started arriving in the late 1800s, early 1900s and settled down in very segregated (IMO) neighborhoods. Many generations have lived in those same neighborhoods, whereas down here when Dallas was being established, we had <insert ethnic group here>... but they were pioneers just as the Anglos were. Our majorly segregated groups were African Americans, and Mexicans.
I understand how it's different to you, I lived in Boston for a long time. I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for in any one city in Texas. Despite people continuing to suggest Houston because it has "two Chinatowns", as someone who has lived on the east coast, it's just not the same.
Now, having said all that, if you like to take road trips you can experience some different ethnic groups in Texas by visting various towns and festivals. Both Czech and German communities can be found in Central Texas. South Texas is heavily Latino. We have Cajuns in Southeast Texas, you can visit the Chinatowns in Houston (about 4 hours away) and on and on.
As for how you are feeling about yourself, I don't think anyone here is going to be able to help you. I'm surprised you feel that the whole blue eyed/blonde caucasian thing still stands in Dallas, because the vast majority of beautiful women are not, its just not the case anymore!
Good luck!
Houston's diversity surpasses Boston.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,121,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Dallas isnt any of those things.

Dallas is newer to diversity than Houston is. Houston has been diverse for years, Dallas didnt start becoming diverse until the 90's or so.

I find living in Dallas similar to living in Chicago (the public transit obviously isnt as good). In Chicago and Dallas (lived in one and live in the other) people like being around other people like them. I dont really know that there is anything wrong with that. On the whole Houston is more diverse, but it also had a 50 year head start on that. Houston is the international trade city with the port in Texas and Dallas is the financial city in Texas. Dallas is also more fragmented than Houston. Houston is also more country and more southern. Thats certainly not bad, just the way it is. In the professional world, you are alot more likely to see the boots and jeans crowd (due to the oil industry no doubt). Dallas is alot more dressy and bit more shallow.

To the OP, you might like Houston better, but Ill warn you not to expect to live like you did in the east coast. Like Dallas, Houston has its strong points and its weak points. Houston is more international and more laid back Houston. Houston has more people, but alot of areas of Houston are as suburban as the suburbs in Dallas (Bunker Hill leaps to mind).
I've yet to see how being huge in the oil industry attracts the Cowboy types. Many people will agree when I say you'll see more of that style in Dallas. Dallas is more country, but Houston is more southern. Two different things.

The dress style style is going to differ between races in each city; blacks in Dallas overall are less fashionable than blacks in Houston, but the whites in Dallas are more fashionable than whites in Houston.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:29 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,454,934 times
"Houston's diversity surpasses Boston."

I'm talking about there being tons of ethnic neighborhoods and neighborhood festivals. Nothing in Texas is going to match the east coast in that regard. There is no North End, no Southie, etc...where different ethnic groups have lived for generation upon generation.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:39 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,762,221 times
The DFW metroplex is so sprawled out that where you live makes a huge difference. From your post, it sounds to me like you are in the northern suburbs of Dallas, which along with the western suburbs of Houston and the northern burbs of Austin are MY idea of Texas purgatory, i.e. where God prepares mostly white people for Hell. It is hot enough and the nearest store is usually a Walmart and the nearest restaurant an Olive Garden or equivalent. Pretty good preparation if you ask me. There are many Dallas city neighborhoods which have more diversity and some urbanity - south of the Park Cities to East Dallas and North Oak Cliff. Many neighborhoods inside the 610 loop in Houston would also feel more congenial - i.e. not blonde domination zones. To my mind downtown Austin is increasingly the most urban residential neighborhood in the state, and south central and east central Austin could also work. But if the job is in Dallas, kick the pills and move to Oaklawn, Uptown, Lower Greenville, Deep Ellum, Lakewood, North Oak Cliff or adjacent neighborhoods. There are places in Dallas with pedestrian life, a variety of good "ethnic" restaurants and that actually feel like you are living in the 4th largest MSA in the U.S., as opposed to let's say Plano. It won't be Manhattan or the near North side of Chicago, but you could be happier! Good luck!

Old 02-16-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've yet to see how being huge in the oil industry attracts the Cowboy types. Many people will agree when I say you'll see more of that style in Dallas. Dallas is more country, but Houston is more southern. Two different things.

The dress style style is going to differ between races in each city; blacks in Dallas overall are less fashionable than blacks in Houston, but the whites in Dallas are more fashionable than whites in Houston.
You get alot of people in Houston who go stright from the oil fields and the port to downtown into the buildings to work on the back side of the operation.

Professsionally, Houston is absolutely more country than Dallas. Two weeks ago I spend 7 business days working down there. Professionally, boots and jeans are more accepted business attire. The good ol' boy system is also a LOT more prevelant in Houston. By that I mean there are alot of "I know (insert CEO name here), therefore Im entitled to (insert amount of money or contract name)."

So at least on a professional level, Houston is more country and more diverse in the same blow.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:58 PM

Did the OP say where she lives? In DFW that will make all the difference in the world.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:04 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,454,934 times
"Did the OP say where she lives? In DFW that will make all the difference in the world."

Agreed, and no she didn't. 1st and last post, perhaps?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
"Did the OP say where she lives? In DFW that will make all the difference in the world."

Agreed, and no she didn't. 1st and last post, perhaps?
It confuses me when people paint once city (or Metro area) with one brush. Its impossible for a metro area of 6.5 million people for everyone to be alike or even similar. Dallas and Fort Worth couldnt be more different. Dallas and Houston are alot more alike than Dallas and Fort Worth.

I (for one) live in Dallas and Im extremely interested in other culutres. My friends here in Dallas are the same way. Likewise, Ive met people from New York who have no interest in other cultures. Im convinced you can find any type of people in a major metro area over 2 million.

Not to mention that DFW (along with Metro Atlanta in my opinion) is changing faster than any other metro area in the US. As I mentioned, diversity isnt new to Houston. Its been that way for ages. Diversity is new to Dallas and its becoming diverse faster. Maybe because Dallas hasnt been used to it its taking some time to get used to. It would be similar to only white people moving to Houston for 20 years.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:11 PM

11 posts, read 31,911 times
Thank you to all who responded, especially "homeinatx". I really appreciate all the input.
As far as those who said I have some underlying issue, you obviously don't know how it is like to feel completely like an outsider and that you can't relate to anyone. Texas is very different from the East Coast or the West Coast for that matter. It feels as though I'm in a different planet. If you can't understand that, you've probably lived in a bubble with no diversity all your life, have never traveled out of the country (or maybe even out of Texas), or have no idea what it is to feel like you can't relate to anyone.
Thanks again to all who helped
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas