Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,370 times

Advertisements

I'm currently attending college at Sam Houston State in Huntsville. And I HATE Huntsville. I do not like the college scene and have not bonded with anyone here. The college students here are younger than me and do not have the same interests. (I was under the assumption when I moved here that it was a college geared towards working adults...I was wrong lol)

The only people I've met are younger college students or prison guards which are usually much, much older than me with families. I am 25, single, work full time and attend school full time. I only have 8 classes left at Sam so I am able to commute now.

I was considering Lufkin, does anyone know anything about this town? Any information on the kinds of people that live there, crime rate,social life, things to do, jobs etc would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 11:28 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Why Lufkin? Why or what is the interest? Tyler is exceptional. What is your field of work? Tyler is not a party town, although, nearly 20,000 college students, many adults. You like a city, not too big, but with great medical, largest medical centers in East Texas, a nice zoo, Performing Arts Center, and Tyler is regarded by many as one of the very few beautiful cities in Texas with all the trees, lush landscaping and roses, and azaleas. Come visit during the Azalea Trails in very late March and the first week or so of April. There are two driving trails, although you can park and walk thru some of the gardens of homes on the trails or sidewalks in front of many of the homes. Thousands come from DFW and other areas.
If you care for church life many activities for you age in Tyler. Green Acres Baptist for one has about 1,000 singles on the church roles, many your age. If that sounds interesting just email me directly and I would give you much more information if you need. I just like Tyler and know very much about it, both the good and the bad, it's certainly not perfect, but way above average. lol

Old 02-23-2010, 05:52 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1985 View Post
I'm currently attending college at Sam Houston State in Huntsville. And I HATE Huntsville. I do not like the college scene and have not bonded with anyone here. The college students here are younger than me and do not have the same interests. (I was under the assumption when I moved here that it was a college geared towards working adults...I was wrong lol)

The only people I've met are younger college students or prison guards which are usually much, much older than me with families. I am 25, single, work full time and attend school full time. I only have 8 classes left at Sam so I am able to commute now.

I was considering Lufkin, does anyone know anything about this town? Any information on the kinds of people that live there, crime rate,social life, things to do, jobs etc would be greatly appreciated.

If you're considering Lufkin, you are basically jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire...Huntsville at least has TDCJ and Sam to bring a working, educated class of people there....Ive only driven through Lufkin and visited briefly, but from what I tell, if you hate Huntsville, you'll certainly hate Lufkin...

I must admit though, Sam is absolutely dead on weekends unless there is maybe a football game that weekend..other than that, Huntsville, is as dead as it gets..but I dont think that Lufkin is the solution that you're looking for...

Although Im from Tyler, I wouldnt recommend moving there for a commute to Huntsville...AT BEST (meaning if you just move to a town like Jacksonville which is about 15 mins south of Tyler) you're looking at a 2 and 1/2 hour commute one way...trust me, it gets BORING AND OLD FAST...the most interesting thing you'll see is Buffalo, and Centerville...

I suggest maybe commuting from a town like Conroe or maybe even Spring...that way, you're closer to Houston, and not too far from Huntsville....if that doesnt work, you'll find that many students who were A&M flunkies opt to commute from College Station to Sam...so there is always that option..College Station is about twice as large as Lufkin, its 45 mins away from Huntsville (mostly backroads), and has much more of an international crowd, with older students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas