Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 10:47 PM

81 posts, read 332,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dee View Post
Look at the movie the rookie with Dennis Quaid it has some location shots of the area near San Angelo,primarly Big Lake if you want to see that part of tx. check out the movie,also has a scene in Brownwood.also check out Friday Night Lights if you want to see the Permian Basin area.their may be other movies out their that I haven't mentioned that have some local scenes from that part of tx.Also on the LOs Loney Boys video they have some scenes from San Angelo their hometown check it out.
Actually those movies weren't shot in the Big Lake / San Angelo / Odessa regions. I've lived in Big Lake and San Angelo----and believe me, that lovely little town in the Rookie was not Big Lake. Big Lake is a dry oil town, the town in the movie was in Central TX I believe, and had lots of green and trees and a grainery.

Movie and TV portrayals of Odessa paint it as a pretty place as well(that movie, Jerry McGuire, Heroes) but it's flat and dry and ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,800 times
You might look at Brownwood - Eastland - Comanche areas. You can be isolated but close to a super Walmart. Hay can be raised or purchased locally and area can support horses and cattle. Weather is dry, high ninty's in summer, low thirty's in winter with min. snow and ice. People are friendly, life is good.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:02 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,284 times
Quote:
We are starting to look for a retirement area for the future. We desire a more isolated location. Need low priced acreage for horses. Conservative values. Pleasant not too hot weather and not a lot of snow. Low humidity and no tornadoes. Basic necessites like a Walmart and medical facilities within a 30 minute drive. Is there such a place there?
End Quote:

Any of the smal towns around Abilene meet your requirements. There are two WalMart Super Centers in Abilene. World class medical facilities are here also. (Hendrick Medical Center recently won two prestigious national awards for outstanding patient care.) Clyde, Merkel, Anson, Albany, Tuscola, Buffalo Gap, Hawley, and Hamby are all good small towns within an easy drive to medical facilities and WalMarts in Abilene. The tornado belt ends right at Abilene, and south of Abilene rarely gets them.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:19 PM

374 posts, read 982,622 times
If you do look in West TX, make sure the land you buy has all the rights with it. Too many people are buying up small ranches only to find out that oil can do what it wants on their land and they have no say. Alot of the land for sale does not come with mineral rights. These mineral rights also includes water so take that into consideration as well. You are basically buying the first couple feet of top soil and that's it.

You might also look at Ft. Stockton area. Its right off I-10 and an easy 5 hours to San Antonio and I think only about 4 hours to El Paso. It has the basic stores and is only maybe an hour or so from Midland/Odessa where they have the bigger stores.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:52 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times
I second James' suggestions and add in Sweetwater, about 40 miles west of Abilene. Property around Sweetwater is really inexpensive and the landscape starts getting really cool around there. Rocky plateaus and large hills, just as most folks picture Texas to look, LOL.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,697 times
Another movie that did have some scenes that were actually filmed in Odessa was The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. The mall, the trailer house dealership, and the t.v. store were are actual Odessa locations.

She Had Brains, a Body, and the Ability to Make Men Love Her is also, according to IMDB, being filmed in Odessa even though the setting is actually more like "anytown U.S.A."

There Will be Blood is set in California, I think, but was filmed around Marfa and Alpine and has several locals from Midland/Odessa appearing as extras.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:01 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,387,320 times
Well its not quite Texas, might want to check out Deming New Mexico. It meets your criteria and is very similar in landscape to west TX
Go to NM section of forum for more input

Old 10-24-2008, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 10,287 times
Lightbulb I know just the place!!!!!

We lived in Brookeland TX We were between two lakes!! 5 mins away!! Tall trees and deer that crossed your land!! During the winter the coldest it got was 55 and in the summer it got about 95 the hottest!! I would recommend this area to anyone!! Walmart is 15min away and no bad storms!!!Good luck!!

Old 10-24-2008, 08:41 AM

469 posts, read 1,451,833 times
Had to add one of my favorite movies, Fandango. It was also partially filmed in West Texas: Alpine, Marfa, Ect.
I lived in Marfa for 3 years and loved it! Beautiful countryside, excellent weather, and the friendliest people around!
Good luck!

Old 11-25-2008, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,287 times
crittersitter, Monahans would be a better choice than Alpine/Fort Davis/Marfa Alpine is approximately an hours drive from Wal-Mart.
Though I retired to Alpine and dearly love it here, good people, lots of artsy stuff, good college with great Professors, good fairly new hospital, land isn't too awfully expensive, and you could probably find a rancher close by that would charge you a nominal fee for holding your horses for you.
We have two Grocery stores, lots of specialty shops, beautiful scenery and you can check these pictures for a good idea of what it's like here.
[url=http://public.fotki.com/NormWilson/]Public Home | NormWilson | Fotki.com[/url]
I've been here since 1990 and I've seen only one fairly bad snowfall, that was in 2001 I think it was, and we got about 10 inches or so over night, but was gone in two days. It does get hot here, sometimes over 100, but not for too many days in a row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas