Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about Schlitterbahn coming to Cedar Park?
I'm totally for it! 29 80.56%
I'm totally against it! 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 10:32 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times

Advertisements

I really hope building another one of these parks do not lessen the name of these parks. I think Schilitterbahn in New Braunfels is the best water park in the nation but man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 12:28 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,651 times
I don't know, won't this take away from the visitors at Schlitterban New Braunfels? I would imagine that a lot of Austonians from Metro Austin frequent New Braunfels. And building one in Austin will only pull away from the visitors at the main Schlitterban, and potentially the DFW area, since the Austin one will be closer.

I've been to the New Braunfels location, and its awesome, but Greater Houston has a Schlitterbahn in Galveston, and the NB location, alone, is not worth the trip out to San Antonio, when we go to SA, we go to most of the theme parks.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
First, the big condo downtown notwithstanding, it's Austinites, NOT Austonians. (Sorry, that's like fingernails on a blackboard to me.)

And I think you may be right in that analysis. It depends on how much of the business that the New Braunfels one does. I know quite a few people in the Austin area who go down to the one in San Antonio regularly who would likely not be as inclined to do so if there's one right in their back yard.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:07 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
First, the big condo downtown notwithstanding, it's Austinites, NOT Austonians. (Sorry, that's like fingernails on a blackboard to me.)

And I think you may be right in that analysis. It depends on how much of the business that the New Braunfels one does. I know quite a few people in the Austin area who go down to the one in San Antonio regularly who would likely not be as inclined to do so if there's one right in their back yard.
Sorry, I did know the proper term, but I guess The Austonian thing stuck on me.

Yeah, I believe that will be the case.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:05 AM

41 posts, read 121,963 times
I would, personally, still go to the NB location...the original. But, hopefully, the CP location would pull some of the bazillion visitors away from NB & make it less crowded, which means shorter lines!

Old 07-08-2010, 01:32 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
As many Cedar Parkians (Cedar Parkers? Cedar Parksters?) probably know, the city council recently allowed for the construction of the fifth installment of the popular series of Schlitterbahn Waterparks.......
I'm thinking the residents have always been known as "Cedar Choppers".

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/...cedar_chopper/

Urban Dictionary: cedar chopper

Old 07-13-2010, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,150 times
Default Cedar Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I'm thinking the residents have always been known as "Cedar Choppers".

[URL="http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/cedar_chopper/"]The Big Apple: Cedar Chopper[/URL]

[URL="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cedar%20chopper"]Urban Dictionary: cedar chopper[/URL]

I read the Urban Dictionary for Cedar Chopper - I did not realize I was living in a repugnant bedroom community NW of Austin.

I say bring on mini-Schlitterbahn - if its like the "mini-Schlits" in Galveston and Padre it will be nice for the locals and may bring folks from North - Killeeen/Waco, but won't come anywhere near replacing the Original.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:29 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGarner View Post
I say bring on mini-Schlitterbahn - if its like the "mini-Schlits" in Galveston and Padre it will be nice for the locals and may bring folks from North - Killeeen/Waco, but won't come anywhere near replacing the Original.
I'm not sure that "mini-Schlitterbahn" is accurate. The Cedar Park location is slated to be built on 95 acres and the entire project is expected to cost $360 million.

Schlitterbahn planning water park in Cedar Park

Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels is on about 65 acres.

I live in Round Rock less than a mile from the proposed Cedar Park site (it's barely in Cedar Park and is surrounded by Round Rock subdivisions), so I can't say that I'm too crazy about this from a traffic perspective. Unfortunately, most of the roads that will be used to get to this place are in Round Rock and not Cedar Park so we'll see if any money is put toward any improvements at all. Basically, I'm fine with it going in, but I'm worried that the developers are understating and ignoring the traffic implications from I-35 to the new park as those roads are all in Round Rock. I highly doubt that Cedar Park will be passing off any tax revenue to Round Rock for road improvements on 1431.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I'm not sure that "mini-Schlitterbahn" is accurate. The Cedar Park location is slated to be built on 95 acres and the entire project is expected to cost $360 million.

Schlitterbahn planning water park in Cedar Park

Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels is on about 65 acres.

I live in Round Rock less than a mile from the proposed Cedar Park site (it's barely in Cedar Park and is surrounded by Round Rock subdivisions), so I can't say that I'm too crazy about this from a traffic perspective. Unfortunately, most of the roads that will be used to get to this place are in Round Rock and not Cedar Park so we'll see if any money is put toward any improvements at all. Basically, I'm fine with it going in, but I'm worried that the developers are understating and ignoring the traffic implications from I-35 to the new park as those roads are all in Round Rock. I highly doubt that Cedar Park will be passing off any tax revenue to Round Rock for road improvements on 1431.
Round rock can just start charging a toll to visitors unless you have a residents pass. I think schlitterbahn would put pressure on the cedar park govt to help pay for it if round rock made moves to do something like that.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:58 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,395 times
I think forcing residents to subsidize a private corporation whose presence will not only not benefit most of them but will cause annoyances like traffic, etc is a bad idea.

These things always make nebulous promises about how it will improve the city and they never deliver. Look at Arlington.

Its just lack of vision by the city council they dont have the creativity to build a city so they throw some pimp cash at a corporation get them to develop something big in town to have something they can point to as their achievement.

Last edited by orbius; 07-14-2010 at 09:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas