U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 10-24-2010, 10:15 AM
 
3,227 posts, read 2,463,210 times
Reputation: 1149

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post
You serious, Clark? Was that supposed to be evidence of something? Nobody said downtown Dallas wasn't pretty. It's too bad such a nice looking downtown is lacking so much in entertainment. The difference between downtown Dallas and Fort Worth at this point in time is that in Fort Worth there's more of a reason to actually get out of your car.

And stop with the anti-Austin trolling. You just sound pathetic.
Please!!!!!!!......Ive driven through FT Worth Millions of times and nothing ever makes me want to get out of my car!!!..you have got to be kidding me and yourself!....Im probably speaking for ALOT of people when I say this.And the people that do get out of their cars are only doing so because they have a specific place to go that someone refered them to...not because it looked interesting from the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2010, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
687 posts, read 846,524 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Please!!!!!!!......Ive driven through FT Worth Millions of times and nothing ever makes me want to get out of my car!!!..you have got to be kidding me and yourself!....Im probably speaking for ALOT of people when I say this.And the people that do get out of their cars are only doing so because they have a specific place to go that someone refered them to...not because it looked interesting from the car.
I love downtown Fort Worth. I can only hope downtown Dallas can develop in the way downtown Fort Worth has. If you haven't seen anything in downtown Fort Worth that makes you want to get out of your car, you must despise the place for some other personal reasons or you haven't really driven around downtown Fort Worth. I've driven out of-of-town visitors from Dallas over to downtown Fort Worth to show off what a great job they've done over there. I don't know anyone who hasn't left with a great impression of their downtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2010, 10:54 AM
 
25,169 posts, read 34,421,968 times
Reputation: 6709
I cannot stand grungy old Fort Worth. It is so old fashioned and small. Blargh. Sure their stockyards are good and their two museums are alright but that's about it. It's a cowboy town for white cowboys.

Austin's downtown is so sad because drinking yourself into the poor house isn't what I would call a happy life or a great downtown. Bumper to bumper traffic is a car crash waiting to happen, too.

San Antonio is amazing because of the riverwalk, the alamo, La Villita, and the old Spanish Cathedrals.

Downtown Houston is cool. It reminds me of Dallas. However, I don't have enough experience there to go into details.



Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Please!!!!!!!......Ive driven through FT Worth Millions of times and nothing ever makes me want to get out of my car!!!..you have got to be kidding me and yourself!....Im probably speaking for ALOT of people when I say this.And the people that do get out of their cars are only doing so because they have a specific place to go that someone refered them to...not because it looked interesting from the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2010, 10:56 AM
 
25,169 posts, read 34,421,968 times
Reputation: 6709
Dallas is its own city. And if it were to be like Fort Worth it would have to go back in time by 30 or 40 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
I love downtown Fort Worth. I can only hope downtown Dallas can develop in the way downtown Fort Worth has. If you haven't seen anything in downtown Fort Worth that makes you want to get out of your car, you must despise the place for some other personal reasons or you haven't really driven around downtown Fort Worth. I've driven out of-of-town visitors from Dallas over to downtown Fort Worth to show off what a great job they've done over there. I don't know anyone who hasn't left with a great impression of their downtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2010, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
687 posts, read 846,524 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Dallas is its own city. And if it were to be like Fort Worth it would have to go back in time by 30 or 40 years.
Yes, I'm aware Dallas is a separate city from Fort Worth given the fact that I live here. I do not agree that Fort Worth is 30 to 40 years behind Dallas at all. You act like we're talking about a city of 70,000 here instead of a city of 700,000. Other than the stockyards, which plays up the cowboy routine for the tourists, I don't see anything about downtown Fort Worth that is "old fashioned" or just for "white cowboys" as you say. Sounds to me like you're letting your pre-conceived notions get in the way of seeing the great job they have done making their downtown a nice place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2010, 11:05 AM
 
25,169 posts, read 34,421,968 times
Reputation: 6709
This is Fort Worth's idea of downtown fun:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ch2XjeWPrU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2010, 11:06 AM
 
25,169 posts, read 34,421,968 times
Reputation: 6709
Well correct me if I'm wrong but what other options do I have if I decide to visit downtown Fort Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
Yes, I'm aware Dallas is a separate city from Fort Worth given the fact that I live here. I do not agree that Fort Worth is 30 to 40 years behind Dallas at all. You act like we're talking about a city of 70,000 here instead of a city of 700,000. Other than the stockyards, which plays up the cowboy routine for the tourists, I don't see anything about downtown Fort Worth that is "old fashioned" or just for "white cowboys" as you say. Sounds to me like you're letting your pre-conceived notions get in the way of seeing the great job they have done making their downtown a nice place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 AM
 
25,169 posts, read 34,421,968 times
Reputation: 6709
Here is a protest in downtown Fort Worth lol


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk6ZAdw4wEU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2010, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
687 posts, read 846,524 times
Reputation: 511
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with either of these videos. One is some individuals apparently having fun and posting it on YouTube. The other is a gay rights protest that could just as easily be in any large city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2010, 04:54 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
7,536 posts, read 8,423,100 times
Reputation: 8257
Artsyguy, you act as if you are hellbent to change all our minds. My impressions of downtown Dallas haven't changed because of the videos. OK perhaps DTD gets busier on certain occasions, but I was there 3 weeks ago on a beautiful 75 degree Saturday afternoon and it seemed like a sleeper. I was impressed with all the handsome buildings and glitzy skyscrapers. The skyline illuminates very nicely at night. But for a city of over 1 million the downtown just felt dead to me. One would think there would be more retail,dining, and everyday people on the streets, and well there just wern't that many. Downtown Fort Worth just felt a lot more lively, albeit smaller but still more vibrant on what was just another day there. Being an outsider it captured the quintesential Texas character I had in mind before I got to DFW. Oh and Austin did not feel redneck at all when I was there, neither did Fort Worth. Both had a nice atmosphere.

I won't dismiss other Dallas neighborhoods, Uptown, Knox/Henderson, and Oak Lawn were all very clean, attractive, and inviting. But downtown should be the heart and soul of a city, a nucleus, a core, and DTD just doesn't feel like that. I'm sure it will get better but it's got a long way to go. When posters have fair criticism for my home city I either take it with a grain of salt or might even consider it as I know Boston has many imperfections as much as I love it. Thus I appreciate travelling to see contrast and differences that my home city doesn't offer. The 5 big cities in Texas all offer something special and individual character that others lack. So perhaps you might consider embracing that instead of an us against them mentality.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 10-24-2010 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top