Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:19 AM

228 posts, read 537,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You can go people watching in Deep Ellum and Exposition Park (both are well defined) anytime after 10:30 PM Friday-Sunday. You can go people watching at night at West Village or West End (well defined areas) and anywhere on McKinney street or Knox/Henderson block (well defined areas) or Latino Cultural Center (defined area). The neighboring, virtually connected at the hip, area to downtown is Oaklawn and you can go people watch at the Victory Park (well defined area) and Cedar Springs gay district (well defined area: it's the gays, for Christ sake) or at the monthly art walks on dragon street/neighboring streets (not defined too well). The art district (well defined) has free nightly events several times a month. You speak of gargantuan Dallas as if it is a bare bones ghost town compared to a much less but overly pretentious city like Austin. There is so much free activity in Dallas that it is impossible to be bored. It requires scheduling and planning ahead: something that intellectuals tend to do. In Austin you just have to drive your car into a herd of traffic and people and wait in line to find a parking spot for 45 minutes (as if you were in a communist city). Then travel with a herd to literally 9,000 bars and restaurants on 6th, 5th, and 4th street. Ughhhhhhhh.

Thankfully the people don't populate the downtown area of Dallas like they do in Austin. Do you know how miserable, claustrophobic, boring, money-wasting, and draining it is to drive around downtown Austin??
Moderator cut: off topic/personal

As I've said before, your over-the-top generalizations are far from reality. Nothing you say is grounded in facts and probably not grounded in experience, either.

Moderator cut: off-topic/personal

Last edited by Bo; 01-06-2011 at 09:25 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 04:02 PM

172 posts, read 411,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
^^^^^Ok, much better
yeah i agree with their post.

austin has a nice downtown, with tons to do.
houston has nothing at night- in the day their isnt much but office buildings
dallas- great city and suburbs- but not much to do

pick austin
or san antonio
for food, and sports pick SA
for artsy stuff and high prices, but tons to do pick austin

Old 01-06-2011, 08:24 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
The lies people tell are just terrible. Downtown Austin is Godawful: plus you can have BBQ, beer, and loud music anywhere. Why is that considered "tons to do." While Dallas the art, restaurant, shopping, nightlife, sports, multicultural utopia of Texas you say "not much to do."

"For artsy stuff and tons to do pick Austin..." This is an outright lie. A complete fabrication. There is more art in Frisco, Texas's Texas Sculpture Garden than anything in Austin. And that is truly sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathpenalty03 View Post
yeah i agree with their post.

austin has a nice downtown, with tons to do.
houston has nothing at night- in the day their isnt much but office buildings
dallas- great city and suburbs- but not much to do

pick austin
or san antonio
for food, and sports pick SA
for artsy stuff and high prices, but tons to do pick austin

Last edited by artsyguy; 01-06-2011 at 08:38 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Downtown Dallas is a utopia. Main street park, World Aquarium, Farmer's Market, Latino Cultural Center, Deep Ellum, The Arts District, The Central Library, and The West End. What more could you want?????????? DisneyLand? I'm not trying to brag but I am just stating the fact that I had 100X more fun in Deep Ellum in one night than I had my entire year in Austin. Have you ever been to a wedding where an Angel and a Demon got married? Well, they did that in Deep Ellum. It was wild. But that is how boring and lousy Austin is. Deep Ellum has more to do than all of 4th, 5th, and 6th street combined. And everyone you meet in Austin are overly sheltered pampered white Protestant people coddled with their white privilege.

Aside from those facts, let's look and see some more facts: Austin downtown has UT Austin which looks like Stalin designed and built the dump, I meant campus himself; 4th, 5th, 6th streets, and side streets with literally 5 million garish and homogeneous bars and restaurants, filthy bums getting in your face demanding money, foul wafts of odors everywhere you go, cigarette odors galore, tons of traffic, and herds of automaton-looking people and that's really it. I guess that is fun for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post
As I've said before, your over-the-top generalizations are far from reality. Nothing you say is grounded in facts and probably not grounded in experience, either.

Last edited by Bo; 01-06-2011 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: updated quote to match original.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 PM

142 posts, read 339,064 times
Quote:
Downtown Dallas is a utopia. Main street park, World Aquarium, Farmer's Market, Latino Cultural Center, Deep Ellum, The Arts District, The Central Library, and The West End. What more could you want?????????? DisneyLand? I'm not trying to brag but I am just stating the fact that I had 100X more fun in Deep Ellum in one night than I had my entire year in Austin. Have you ever been to a wedding where an Angel and a Demon got married? Well, they did that in Deep Ellum. It was wild. But that is how boring and lousy Austin is. Deep Ellum has more to do than all of 4th, 5th, and 6th street combined. And everyone you meet in Austin are overly sheltered pampered white Protestant people coddled with their white privilege.

Aside from those facts, let's look and see some more facts: Austin downtown has UT Austin which looks like Stalin designed and built the dump, I meant campus himself; 4th, 5th, 6th streets, and side streets with literally 5 million garish and homogeneous bars and restaurants, filthy bums getting in your face demanding money, foul wafts of odors everywhere you go, cigarette odors galore, tons of traffic, and herds of automaton-looking people and that's really it. I guess that is fun for you.
Kindly get a grip and stay on topic.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:18 PM

228 posts, read 537,524 times
Quote:
The lies people tell are just terrible.
I know, it really is awful. The lies that trolls tell are even worse.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:47 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
I think Downtown is getting better.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:10 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,753 times
San Antonio and Ft. Worth have the "best" downtowns in terms of overall usage. Downtown is all they've generally got aside from nearby theme parks.

Downtown Houston is a mix of mystique, nightlife, tunnel life, towering observation and high end culture. These aspects do not happen all at once, but depending on the time on the clock, one aspect of downtown Houston is there when I need it.

No-Tsu-Oh or Minuti Coffee or the Buffalo Bayou walk or the tunnel shops...I love downtown H-town.

Again, there is a sense of mystery and excitement I get from downtown Houston that I don't really get from superficial San Antone or Ft. Worth...though it's nice to take people there to the River Walk or Sundance Square.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:09 PM

371 posts, read 597,359 times
I say San Antonio at the top, just because of the Riverwalk. I'm unfamiliar with Fort Worth's downtown so I'm unsure of the next four, but Austin's is pretty good, too.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,792 times
I think Kilgore, TX has the best downtown HAHAHAHA It only takes 2 seconds to get through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas